What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!
  • There has been an ongoing bug where club membership subscriptions have not been expiring. We have fixed this bug, and on October 7 users who do not have an active subscription will have their membership revoked, and you will be given the opportunity to renew. Please visit this post for details: https://allbuffs.com/threads/club-membership-privileges-not-being-revoked-when-yearly-subscription-ends.160161/

The dust has settled. Looking ahead

JMBuffs

Club Member
Club Member
With the 17 incoming recruits that have signed, who will see the field next year and who will redshirt?

There seem to be some obvious players here for the 2019 season:
Harris TE - starter day one
Sauvao G - Big boy, likely to compete and start
Jordan DT - With the departure of Edwards could Jordan come in and start? He will play at least.
Doss DE - HCMT wants the trenches to be beefy- could see Doss join the rotation for sure (the dude has put on serious weight since HS, just like MUSTAFA!)
Allen LB - as Duff has pointed out, our depth at LB is light, Allen should see playing time right away.

Freshman who might see the field:

Mang RB - He's got the size and is joining a young group waiting for a player to step up. I like Fontenot and Smith to be the front runners, but Mangham is the highest rated RB recruit we have had in a while (since Polk maybe?)
Perry DB - Versatile highly rated recruit, S/CB, and I believe he has the ability to beat out guys like Wigley, Blackmon, George and Uddofia.
Pell LB - My favorite in state recruit, if he can put on the weight I see him contributing on special teams and some possible LB subs.
Williams DT - Big boy, space eater, possible depth on the Dline rotation.

The rest redshirt....what say ye?

It will be interesting to see if Ham takes a RS. Also, wouldn't be opposed to seeing Darrion Jones RS. We could use Harris and Pop instead so we don't lose two at the end of this year.

It means that it's not always valuable to keep guys in a program as long as possible to get the most you can out of them when the other option is to graduate a guy as quickly as possible so you can recruit someone who has more potential.

I would say most of the time it is a detriment. Redshirting upperclassmen only makes sense in an injury situation.

It means that it's not always valuable to keep guys in a program as long as possible to get the most you can out of them when the other option is to graduate a guy as quickly as possible so you can recruit someone who has more potential.
I wasn't sure if Duff was referring to some concerning behavior with Jones or anything like that...thanks for the insight

Last edited:
I think if we show actual productive usage of the TE position in 2019, there is a GREAT chance to land a blue chip receiving matchup nighmare there next recruiting cycle.

The depth chart is very friendly to anyone who wants to play and make an impact.

Yep I like your analysis of the JC help we got. Love that we got Janaz in at NT plus a couple young ones there too. Doss steps in and takes some of the Mulumba/Franke minutes. Gotta trust Brumbaugh knows what he's doing by taking these 2 relative unknowns.
Looking forward to seeing Sauvoa mauling inside on oline.

We need Jamal Hall to sign. Either he or Mark Perry possible day 1 starter at Safety opposite Rakestraw or Maddox. Both are gonna play a lot if not start.

I assume Bounds is not coming back. Is Gustav on the roster? Regardless, Harris, Russell and Poplawski give us a 3 deep at TE.

If Jashua Allen doesn't make it in then I see Ham playing early at ILB. Is Pell gonna be ILB or OLB? Regardless I like that pick up.

Didn't see us get much help at CB. We've got Abrams and Miller and a whole bunch of ?????

I still don't think the the starting RB is on roster yet. And I'm sure they're looking for some pass rushers at the OLB and of course a quality OT. So they'll oversign by more than 5 come Feb. It'll be interesting to see what our required attrition number will be.

Yep I like your analysis of the JC help we got. Love that we got Janaz in at NT plus a couple young ones there too. Doss steps in and takes some of the Mulumba/Franke minutes. Gotta trust Brumbaugh knows what he's doing by taking these 2 relative unknowns.

We need Jamal Hall to sign. Either he or Mark Perry possible day 1 starter at Safety opposite Rakestraw or Maddox. Both are gonna play a lot if not start.

I assume Bounds is not coming back. Is Gustav on the roster? Regardless, Harris, Russell and Poplawski give us a 3 deep at TE.

If Jashua Allen doesn't make it in then I see Ham playing early at ILB. Is Pell gonna be ILB or OLB? Regardless I like that pick up.

Didn't see us get much help at CB. We've got Abrams and Miller and a whole bunch of ?????

I still don't think the the starting RB is on roster yet. And I'm sure they're looking for some pass rushers at the OLB and of course a quality OT. So they'll oversign by more than 5 come Feb. It'll be interesting to see what our required attrition number will be.
Gustav was a grey shirt and I believe is still expected to come in.

Fontenot and Mang Mang will battle for RB1 in my opinion.

I love the emphasis on size and strength...UW isn't the perennial PAC12 champs because they have mobile & athletic (read: small) linemen. We were a functional OL away from bowl eligibility the last 2 years. I'm psyched to see the improvement next season.

I love the emphasis on size and strength...UW isn't the perennial PAC12 champs because they have mobile & athletic (read: small) linemen. We were a functional OL away from bowl eligibility the last 2 years. I'm psyched to see the improvement next season.

In retrospect, we were a functional OL away from competing in a pretty ****ty Pac-12 South this year.

Given what I was told about the former head coach why doesn’t CU have a serviceable secondary? Aren’t there approx 15 kids on roster?
14 counting Trujillo and Perry. Not counting Ray Robinson as he's moved to LB.

The recruiting, JC and HS, didn't pan out. A pretty big indictment of MM, ShaDon, and Ambrose.
Worthington and Fisher played poorly all year and Miller & Abrams got hurt, but still too many whiffs on recruiting. I look for big recruiting improvements here with the new staff.

I love me some Rakestraw but a throwaway converted 2* WR is getting major PT at S down the home stretch? And we were lucky to have him. Point is that ShaDon and MM's recruits couldn't beat him out.

Given what I was told about the former head coach why doesn’t CU have a serviceable secondary? Aren’t there approx 15 kids on roster?
The Safety position wasn’t very well recruited under MM and that’s the main position of concern. CB has some solid players in Abrams’ and Miller, but both Saftey spots are huge question marks

In short, I believe MM is a very good DB coach. He also tried to find the diamond in the rough player rather than go for the typical highly rated recruit. There is some talent, but it’s not up to par with PAC12. Didn’t find those diamonds he wanted and it backfired.

Ambrose and Brown had built a very solid secondary class, they hadn't exactly been here that long. The 2016/2017 classes were the biggest question mark, and that was largely thanks to MacIntyre and Clark.
Our DBs were arguably one of our most disappointing units last season - a change was good there.

Ambrose and Brown had built a very solid secondary class, they hadn't exactly been here that long. The 2016/2017 classes were the biggest question mark, and that was largely thanks to MacIntyre and Clark.
I'll give you Ambrose. They were all California guys. Brown did nothing in Houston & Louisiana where he was supposed to be recruiting.

What's the word on Maddox? I don't recall him being mentioned much (probably says what I'm wondering there). I liked him the most of all the JC guys MM was bringing in around that time

What's the word on Maddox? I don't recall him being mentioned much (probably says what I'm wondering there). I liked him the most of all the JC guys MM was bringing in around that time
I saw him around campus wearing a sling in late spring 2018. Probably really affected his ability to learn the scheme. Looking forward to him and Ray hopefully being 100%

Maddox is the guy that Howell and others bring up as being in position to secure a starting S job in 2019.

He's the only DB that seemed to give much of a **** in the last three games of the season. I hope he can do great things.

Back