What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The KD Plan (Endorsed by RG)

Sucks To Suck GIF

KD is definitely NOT running off players he didn’t recruit on purpose. That’s not his plan, but he does seem ok with it.

Clearly Rick is giving KD a long leash. Seems like KD is more interested in winning in 2024 with no regard to Ws in 2022. Improvement in 2023, competitive in ‘24.
How does one become competitive without recruiting the level of talent that is necessary to compete? On top of that, they clearly have no idea what's going on in the portal or how to utilize it

I don't think the finances will allow that plan to succeed.

The AD can't function with Folsom <50% capacity for more than a year.
That involves getting there. I'm not going to ANY CU events until this institution decides its ready to win in football.

I don't think there is a full endorsement. But an acceptance of reality. CU has been forced to go young. After saying thaqt there is still an expectation to go to a bowl game next season. The coaches have to work hard on talent development or they will be out of a job.

How does one become competitive without recruiting the level of talent that is necessary to compete? On top of that, they clearly have no idea what's going on in the portal or how to utilize it
KD knows a secret way to "coach 'em up" that eliminates the need for talent that no other coach knows.

That or he doesn't care about winning, just collecting his obscene paycheck with the least effort.

This seems to be setting up as:

1. Over the course of 2 years as allowed by finances, get rid of all assistants from former HCs to go into year 3 with a staff that is fully his own.

2. Over the course of 3 years, which may extend to 4 with that Covid +1 year of eligibility, get rid of all players signed by previous staffs (Buff legacies & CO guys excepted).

3. Give Turley's S&C program (designed as a 3- or 4-year build, not for a quick fix), an opportunity to develop KD's guys.

4. Similar to #3, give KD's coaching staff which emphasizes teaching over recruiting the 3 years it needs to build his guys up.

We're only getting started with the rebuild, folks. This was the first year KD's been able to make in-home visits in recruiting. This is Turley's first full offseason. This is the first year it will be KD's coaching staff.

KD and RG truly look at 2022 as the real Year One of this era. This means that 2024 is the year that program trajectory will really start to matter in the win column. It means that if RG can sell "improvement" by then that KD will be in line for an extension so that RG won't have to hire another HC prior to his potential 2026 retirement. It's all about stability and commitment to true Buffs.

I strongly believe that this is The Plan based on the available evidence.

So I would advise to either find a way to embrace this in the interest of your mental health or to find something else to occupy your mind the next 4 years in the interest of your mental health.

Go Buffs
I honestly think Tucker built the program around recruits with a lot of question marks to build momentum, and the main pitch was about getting to the NFL and making money... This is a good plan, but he left, and it was natural many of his recruits would follow. Then NIL happened and free fransfers happened and the situation was compounded.

KD's plan is to build a lot of depth, a lot of smart, hardworking kids with Ivy League and service academy offers... and this is just the opposite of Tucker's approach so it's further compounding the issue...

But when I see so many kids entering the portal from elite P5 schools, I feel less bad about the attrition here. KD's plan, and I think you diagnosed it correctly, seems like it will mitigate NIL/transfer issues in the future... and I don't hate his vision for the program. It shouldn't come with these kinds of growing pains but between Covid, the previous admin's tactics and everything else, the road is much rockier than it should be.

I don't think there is a full endorsement. But an acceptance of reality. CU has been forced to go young. After saying thaqt there is still an expectation to go to a bowl game next season. The coaches have to work hard on talent development or they will be out of a job.
I’m glad to hear there wasn’t an expectation to go to a bowl game this year.

I honestly think Tucker built the program around recruits with a lot of question marks to build momentum, and the main pitch was about getting to the NFL and making money... This is a good plan, but he left, and it was natural many of his recruits would follow. Then NIL happened and free fransfers happened and the situation was compounded.

KD's plan is to build a lot of depth, a lot of smart, hardworking kids with Ivy League and service academy offers... and this is just the opposite of Tucker's approach so it's further compounding the issue...

But when I see so many kids entering the portal from elite P5 schools, I feel less bad about the attrition here. KD's plan, and I think you diagnosed it correctly, seems like it will mitigate NIL/transfer issues in the future... and I don't hate his vision for the program. It shouldn't come with these kinds of growing pains but between Covid, the previous admin's tactics and everything else, the road is much rockier than it should be.
Problem is Dorrell’s strategy doesn’t work.

Back