What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The Most Offensive Team Nicknames

When I coached youth basketball for a couple years, most of the practice was scrimmage. 1-on-1, 3-on-3 or full. Parents complained that it wasn't structured enough and I wasn't teaching. I tried to explain that the kids don't have the background we did at their age because their generation doesn't ever just meet up with a ball at the gym or playground for fun. Also, they weren't parents who played so they were impressed by inbounds plays and free throw percentage. I got them winning through fitness, swarming defense, and being able to beat a guy to break down a defense for a good shot (ideally at the rim). Parents ended up thinking I wasn't teaching them anything beyond having fun and playing hard while assuming their kids were more talented than they were since we were winning despite them not really being "coached."

Winning is an awful thing in development settings sometimes. When clubs and teams are competing against each other the team that beat you might very well be the home of three of your better players next season. All because they won. And parents perceive a better org and coaching and thus chase the winning. Going 6-4 is probably the sweet spot. Too much losing and lose players. It was a fine line to walk.

Soccer has the added benefit/disadvantage of state level control of all the leagues and scheduling. You win a lot and they promote you to the harder league, which is like orders of magnitude more talented, and then you lose a lot. 😂

Basketball seemed a lot looser depending on which association your coach/team belonged to. Far fewer clubs until things got really talent elite.

Offensive to raccoons and pandas.

Trash-Pandas-Logo-2.jpeg

FPZVNZ26OBCIXFVYXNC5CUAMBI.jpg
I think the trash panda might be doing something inappropriate to those kids.

Interesting conversation with a former North Dakota football player at the DU hockey game last night. He said the Sioux tribes are lobbying to get ND to change the nickname back to the Fighting Sioux.
Wonder how much of that is real and how much of it is wishful thinking spiraled into a "social media fact" by a bunch of people who never agreed with the change in the first place. Sounds a lot like the "I'm 1/16th XXXX tribe and it doesn't bother me and shouldn't bother you." comments.

Wonder how much of that is real and how much of it is wishful thinking spiraled into a "social media fact" by a bunch of people who never agreed with the change in the first place. Sounds a lot like the "I'm 1/16th XXXX tribe and it doesn't bother me and shouldn't bother you." comments.
He said that every Sioux tribe gave authorization except one, which did not object to the Fighting Sioux name, but simply refused to respond at all. That apparently foeced them to drop the nickname since they didn't have 100% of the tribes onboard.

i don't know how true it is, but found it interesting.

He said that every Sioux tribe gave authorization except one, which did not object to the Fighting Sioux name, but simply refused to respond at all. That apparently foeced them to drop the nickname since they didn't have 100% of the tribes onboard.

i don't know how true it is, but found it interesting.
I'm don't doubt your conversation, I'm going to say that based on my reading and other things I've seen the guy is full of s***.

The fans of the sports teams at UND have strongly opposed the name change, the tribes themselves have been very outspoken that they do not support the continued use of the name or the imagery that goes with it. As fans will do the guy you spoke with seems to be one of those who is willing to grasp onto anything he can to try to fight the change in the team name.

https://tribalcollegejournal.org/racism-north-dakota-mascots-matter/

The Standing Rock Tribal Council is clearly opposed to the use of the name. A member of that council wrote this piece.

From a different article from AP referenced in another piece I read.
Opposition to the mascot continued to grow, and in 1999 seven tribes stated their request for the abolishment of the name: Spirit Lake Nation, Crow Creek Sioux Tribe, Rosebud Sioux Tribe, Sisseton/Wahpeton Sioux Tribe, Turtle Mountain Band of Chippewa, Yankton Sioux Tribe, and Oglala Sioux Tribe.
The fans have been strongly opposed, at their hockey games you still see large amounts of Fighting Sioux apparel.

The whale donor who funded the sports arenas that the school uses (a family trust owns them and leases them to the school so they can force the continuation of displaying the old imagery) was such a good humanitarian that he held a couple birthday celebrations honoring Adolph Hitler.

https://insidesources.com/at-und-th...t-mascot-controversy-remains-at-center-court/

Asking an old time UND Fighting Sioux fan about the mascot change is likely to receive the same kind of unbiased response as asking a CSU fan if the refereeing in their games against CU is fair.

Interesting conversation with a former North Dakota football player at the DU hockey game last night. He said the Sioux tribes are lobbying to get ND to change the nickname back to the Fighting Sioux.
They should have just changed the name and logo to this when the Standing Rock Tribe voted no.

1701538486299.png

Back