What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The Most Offensive Team Nicknames

You know, this whole discussion in this thread and the other has kind of made me realize how weird mascots and nicknames actually are. I mean, I get the idea of the fans wanting to have some nickname to call their team, but think about it: a bunch of young people get together to play a game and they all decide, "hey, we're not just a random collection of humans who are good at this particular activity, let's also pretend we're animals, or other people, or natural phenomena!"

I know sports brings out all kinds of weird behavior in people, but the more I think about it, the more bizarre it seems.
agree. as I've aged, I feel more silly every time I hear myself refer to a team by their nickname. When I was 20, it seemed normal to say "Hokies, Packers, etc..." but now I feel increasingly ridiculous using what sounds like childish names.

of course, changing language to avoid mocking myself does open myself up to mockery from others. I think there's a balance to this that I haven't quite found yet.

You know, this whole discussion in this thread and the other has kind of made me realize how weird mascots and nicknames actually are. I mean, I get the idea of the fans wanting to have some nickname to call their team, but think about it: a bunch of young people get together to play a game and they all decide, "hey, we're not just a random collection of humans who are good at this particular activity, let's also pretend we're animals, or other people, or natural phenomena!"

I know sports brings out all kinds of weird behavior in people, but the more I think about it, the more bizarre it seems.

agree. as I've aged, I feel more silly every time I hear myself refer to a team by their nickname. When I was 20, it seemed normal to say "Hokies, Packers, etc..." but now I feel increasingly ridiculous using what sounds like childish names.

of course, changing language to avoid mocking myself does open myself up to mockery from others. I think there's a balance to this that I haven't quite found yet.

For me it's usually a case of ease of use. If the context of the conversation allows for the use of "Denver" to refer to the local professional football team, that works, but a lot of times it's just easier to say "Broncos". I am also linguistically lazy, so I'll say "Pack" instead of "Packers" most of the time, lol.

You need something to identify the team. Names are fine.

Go CU is okay, but go buffs is much more fun to say or yell.

Bear down makes no sense, however.

I like sports. It's all the **** that goes on around sports that annoys me.

I used to think that kids playing a game was the purest form of sport there was, but adults came along and ****ed that up, too.
Tommy Lasorda said that the reason American kids don't play baseball anymore and don't dominate the majors like they once did is because the adults got involved.

He said if you want kids to learn to play baseball give them a field, some bats, balls, and gloves, and make the adults stay away.

You might make that argument about a lot of sports. How many of the great soccer players come from places where they don't have the kind of organized youth soccer we do with traveling teams and every game with refs and parents screaming at the kids, coaches, and refs.

Instead they play for hours on a dirt lot with a couple of old boards making the goals.

Tommy Lasorda said that the reason American kids don't play baseball anymore and don't dominate the majors like they once did is because the adults got involved.

He said if you want kids to learn to play baseball give them a field, some bats, balls, and gloves, and make the adults stay away.

You might make that argument about a lot of sports. How many of the great soccer players come from places where they don't have the kind of organized youth soccer we do with traveling teams and every game with refs and parents screaming at the kids, coaches, and refs.

Instead they play for hours on a dirt lot with a couple of old boards making the goals.
Lasorda was an idiot.

Kids stopped playing baseball because 2 kids do something while everyone else stands around watching.

And, air conditioning.

Lasorda was an idiot.

Kids stopped playing baseball because 2 kids do something while everyone else stands around watching.

And, air conditioning.
I agree with you to a large extent but I still think there is a lot of validity in what he said.

When you have kids playing baseball in a sandlot without the adults they aren't doing anywhere near as much standing and watching. The games goes much faster, they get many more at bats and many more opportunities to field.

Many kids have still left baseball and in fact informal or formal sports behind but the adults haven't helped the situation.

Offensive to raccoons and pandas.

Trash-Pandas-Logo-2.jpeg

FPZVNZ26OBCIXFVYXNC5CUAMBI.jpg
My daughter’s elementary school mascot is a trash pa…er…raccoon. Probably the second weakest mascot in the school district. A high school here in Omaha’s mascot is a bunny.

This is true.

The next step in the devolution of American sports is pay for play youth club sports. The VAST majority of kids burn before ever playing a HS sport, and in most sports, only the rich kids are playing.

Any kind of nickname that references an ethnic group can be seen as controversial, I think, but Fighting Irish and Celtics needs to be mentioned.

stan against evil GIF by IFC

I’ll agree kids need to play outside more, and adults have taken away the “freedom” of growing up. But it’s a silly Hollywood fantasy think the best players in sports play on dirt patches.

I think mascots are fine for kids, but I agree about the nickname part and it's largely a North American sports phenomenon.

started making a new thread and the auto-search found this already existed.

spurred by the Chiefs discussion in the NFL thread, what are the most offensive nicknames in major sports?

for me, #1 is the South Carolina Gamecocks. I understand the history of the name, and also note that it's referencing an illegal activity centered around animal abuse. I know PETA often launches a campaign against USC (and is generally mocked for doing so), but I'm surprised that the name doesn't generate more controversy.

I don't find the remaining NA derived names offensive, but I acknowledge that this isn't an area I appreciate very well. My highschool changed their name from the Indians to
  • Florida State Seminoles
  • Atlanta Braves (there's also a few minor league teams nicknamed 'Braves')
  • Chicago Blackhawks
  • Utah Utes
  • Golden State Warriors
I think the Golden State situation is analogous to the KC NFL one. 'Warriors' and 'Chiefs' can both be commonly understood as terms free from racial implication, but the history of that word use does focus on Native Americans.

Last, I know there's been some complaints about pirate based names, e.g. Tampa Bay Buccaneers, ECU Pirates.... Noting piracy is illegal, I don't feel those names carry anywhere near the same stigma as USC's as they lack the cruelty aspect.
What’s the matter with ”Blackhawks”?

You do realize that it's a native American tribe's name, right?

So, same issues as Seminoles or Utes.
I do. And like the Seminoles and Utes, who allow the use of their tribe name because it’s not used disparagingly, unlike Redskins or “Indians”…again, what’s wrong with “Blackhawks”?

I do. And like the Seminoles and Utes, who allow the use of their tribe name because it’s not used disparagingly, unlike Redskins or “Indians”…again, what’s wrong with “Blackhawks”?
I think this is one key distinction of NA orignated nicknames. Not that I make any claim which should or shouldn't offend anyone.

So, on the "safer" side, we have tribe names: Seminole, Ute

On the "more likely to offend" side, we have Indians and Redskins.

I'm not sure where that leaves Warriors and Chiefs. On a different scale than the above, I think. And I stick by yesterday's comments that the amount of racial association is driven by the context of symbols, chants, etc... more than the word itself.

This is true. We used to have a saying in Soccer as coaches to “let the game be the teacher”. If you have too many drills and dont leave time for scrimmage youre doing a huge dis service. About half my practice time was scrimmage. But coaches do continue to interfere. To keep my kids into creating some imaginative free play I would set up futsal games once a week. Small sided games of 5v5 or less is where the magic starts to happen

This is true.

The next step in the devolution of American sports is pay for play youth club sports. The VAST majority of kids burn before ever playing a HS sport, and in most sports, only the rich kids are playing.

Thats already here and very well established as an industry depending on the sport.

I agree with Mike Leach-- what the heck is a Sun Devil? It is a good logo, but what the heck is it?

This is true. We used to have a saying in Soccer as coaches to “let the game be the teacher”. If you have too many drills and dont leave time for scrimmage youre doing a huge dis service. About half my practice time was scrimmage. But coaches do continue to interfere. To keep my kids into creating some imaginative free play I would set up futsal games once a week. Small sided games of 5v5 or less is where the magic starts to happen
When I coached youth basketball for a couple years, most of the practice was scrimmage. 1-on-1, 3-on-3 or full. Parents complained that it wasn't structured enough and I wasn't teaching. I tried to explain that the kids don't have the background we did at their age because their generation doesn't ever just meet up with a ball at the gym or playground for fun. Also, they weren't parents who played so they were impressed by inbounds plays and free throw percentage. I got them winning through fitness, swarming defense, and being able to beat a guy to break down a defense for a good shot (ideally at the rim). Parents ended up thinking I wasn't teaching them anything beyond having fun and playing hard while assuming their kids were more talented than they were since we were winning despite them not really being "coached."

Thats already here and very well established as an industry depending on the sport.
don't bother googling, it's not that interesting of an origin story

Back