What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The Sean Lewis Offense

You have to have 2 things to make this offense work, and one more to make it deadly. You have to have a good decision maker that can deliver a ball on time at QB, and you have to have guys that can be dangerous in space. CU has neither of these. The third thing is an offensive line that can run the ball at will; if edge and second level players on defense have to react to run first on every play...they are properly furked
I like the video explanation and the read-simplicity for the QB. I’ve always loved that flair out option pass to the sidelines as a third option. It’s like the I-bone pitch on steroids… so far out there.

I like the video explanation and the read-simplicity for the QB. I’ve always loved that flair out option pass to the sidelines as a third option. It’s like the I-bone pitch on steroids… so far out there.
That's right. Think of it this way, the RB zone play replaces the FB dive, and the WR becomes the pitch man...which works because most teams won't/can't play press man against this offense, leaving the WR with enough room to accept the quick pass in the flat. But when it comes down to it, it's the same as option, with the added constant threat of having the ball thrown over your head. tOSU runs this concept a lot too. It is a total MF'er to defend

That's right. Think of it this way, the RB zone play replaces the FB dive, and the WR becomes the pitch man...which works because most teams won't/can't play press man against this offense, leaving the WR with enough room to accept the quick pass in the flat. But when it comes down to it, it's the same as option, with the added constant threat of having the ball thrown over your head. tOSU runs this concept a lot too. It is a total MF'er to defend
AND, if I’m visualizing it correctly, throw in a TE or stretched end, and you are in a good blocking scheme to just do standard stretch zone runs when not going RPO—re 4min drill. I also like the “speed option” twist in there, too.

AND, if I’m visualizing it correctly, you are in a good blocking scheme to just do standard stretch zone runs when not going RPO—re 4min drill. I also like the “speed option” twist in there, too.
Yes. That’s the base play that the OLine is blocking for on every play, so it’s just a matter of the QB handing the ball off. Where it gets really interesting is with WR alignments (bunch, tight etc) and motion, because you put pressure in the LB’s and secondary to cover all areas of the field.

Yes. That’s the base play that the OLine is blocking for on every play, so it’s just a matter of the QB handing the ball off. Where it gets really interesting is with WR alignments (bunch, tight etc) and motion, because you put pressure in the LB’s and secondary to cover all areas of the field.
It's so hard to do all of the 3 things you'd love to do on a play.

1. Go fast to keep a defense on its heels.

2. Motion to shift alignment strength & identity man or zone coverage.

3. Play action to freeze the back 7 and open up passing lanes.

This offense manages to accomplish all 3. Usually you can only do 2 in a system or on a play.

It's so hard to do all of the 3 things you'd love to do on a play.

1. Go fast to keep a defense on its heels.

2. Motion to shift alignment strength & identity man or zone coverage.

3. Play action to freeze the back 7 and open up passing lanes.

This offense manages to accomplish all 3. Usually you can only do 2 in a system or on a play.
Agree. That said, every offense has its weak spots, and with this one it’s being physical and multiple in the run game. IMO, it’s why Mich beat tOSU. But I have seen guys try to augment this weakness by motioning a Y down in-line, and the H into a 2 back offset pistol formation and run more traditional power, counter, iso, dive and trap ….but you really have to put in the work in practice to be good.

My favorite part of this that Shedeur is really advanced at reading defenses and that is 1) very necessary in this offense and 2) can make it damn-near unstoppable.

It's not a coincidence at all how good of a fit he is for this.

My favorite part of this that Shedeur is really advanced at reading defenses and that is 1) very necessary in this offense and 2) can make it damn-near unstoppable.

It's not a coincidence at all how good of a fit he is for this.
I sort of figured Sanders picked the OC/QB coach sometime ago.

Reactions: RK
I’ll post the Miami for Buffaholic:

View attachment 56607
Freaks And Geeks Eye Roll GIF

less about the Sean Lewis hire (which I love).....but if part of this is a de facto history of the advent of the QB RPO i'd toss in the Bill Snyder KSU teams of the early 00's.

Michael Bishop, Jonathon Beasley, Ell Roberson.

Bishop was really good, Beasley was a wildly underrated college QB....having seen him in person a few times....and Roberson was freaky.

they won 10-11 games 6 or 7 years in a row. or close to it, too lazy to look it up. Snyder's first winning QB was Chad May, passer.....at some point Darth made the switch.

those were mos def the first "RPO" teams i saw.

i'm 54, i grew up in a town with a HS coach who was a Yeoman Veer acolyte....and pretty successful coach. but, we started running the Veer in 7th grade, same plays, blocking as the high school. kinda comical when we played our across town rivals running the same O.

edit:

for my own entertainments....and some googling, Snyder was the OC for the famous Hayden Fry U of Iowa staffs of early 80's pic they always show you on TV: with Barry Alvarez, Ferentz, Stoops, Dan McCarney, Bielema maybe? Snyder was also at North Texas with Hayden Fry before Iowa, totally in the 70's Veer Texas footprint. Darth was the OC for Hayden Fry for 10 years. And coaching at Austin College in Sherman, TX before that. and coaching swimming.

Also, those KSU teams had some great players.....Sproles, the various Locketts (!), Quincy Morgan, David Allen, Jon McGraw on D was a baller.....Terence Newman.....

Before the the last 15 years of misery, and I went to my first CU game in 1976 with my Dad....and saw Tony Reed run up the COLORADO embankment in the south endzone....score the game-winning TD to beat Oklahoma....(and outside the occasional Sadism of Dr. Tom)....one of the only times I saw CU utterly outclassed at Folsom was in 2000 I think....that Cat team put it on us 44-21 but could have named the score. there is a KSU punt return for TD i can still see in my mind, where is literally never any Buff defender within 10 yards of Lockett/Allen/Morgan whoever....i could have scored on that play.

looking it up, that team lost twice to the eventual national champs and whipped Fat Phil and Tennessee in the Cotton Bowl.

the other time was the Carson Palmer senior year Trojans came to Folsom, Justin Fargas, Polamalu....put it on Barney pretty good. that was a bad one. at the end of the year, would put that Trojan team up against either Miami or Ohio State. Trojans were figuring it out with Petey Carroll. Norm Chow, probably there.

Last edited:
So I am impressed with the O. Lots of good info here.

But, with the QB in the shotgun, aren't we giving up a great trick play? The dreaded 1st down QB sneak?
If we have the huge OL that is developing…. The defense won’t even know if the QB is under center or in the shotgun.

Super excited to see how tempo will effect other teams. Kent St ran on avg 72.16 plays a game to just 62 plays we ran this year. I think the goal is to get up to 80+ plays. If we get to this the 4th quarter is going to be really fun watching the other team be gassed
With all the movement the OL guys do in this offense, it's going to wear defenses down to be playing at that pace and absorbing blocks from those dudes hitting them off a running start over and over with no chance to catch their breath.

If you follow the link, he's got a series of clips of different plays. It's a thing of beauty the way different motions and OL actions motions subtly move the LBs around and forces flow that opens things up. With that the WRs are responding with their reads on route trees and the QB is able to make very quick decisions. I'm so excited to see this at Folsom.

If you follow the link, he's got a series of clips of different plays. It's a thing of beauty the way different motions and OL actions motions subtly move the LBs around and forces flow that opens things up. With that the WRs are responding with their reads on route trees and the QB is able to make very quick decisions. I'm so excited to see this at Folsom.

It’s going to be so much fun to watch. Legit backs to wear down the defense and speed to deliver the knockout punch when the defense is mentally exhausted as well. I almost forgot what it’s like when the defense isn’t calling out your plays before the snap.

anchorman ron burgandy GIF

It’s going to be so much fun to watch. Legit backs to wear down the defense and speed to deliver the knockout punch when the defense is mentally exhausted as well. I almost forgot what it’s like when the defense isn’t calling out your plays before the snap.
It didn’t help that it seemed like the same 3-5 plays called were painfully slow to develop.

Not sure why, but it bothers me that he said "is making the move" as if Lewis hasn't been here for over 6 months

SIAP, I'd rather not assume. Was Lewis calling plays from the sidelines at Kent?

Will he be in the box?

Back