What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!
  • There has been an ongoing bug where club membership subscriptions have not been expiring. We have fixed this bug, and on October 7 users who do not have an active subscription will have their membership revoked, and you will be given the opportunity to renew. Please visit this post for details: https://allbuffs.com/threads/club-membership-privileges-not-being-revoked-when-yearly-subscription-ends.160161/

Thoughts on the "turnaround"....

Bufffan68

Club Member
Club Member
During and after last season, this staff...and particularly MM...got justifiable crap for the state of many positions groups...mostly the DL and OL...and to a lesser degree the RBs.

However, it seems with the early signing class and some recent commits, the gaps appear to be closing. Adding this talent is making me a more optimistic about the 18 season.

It may be too early to consider this a turnaround in recruiting, but I wanted to get a pulse on what people think...getting better? Same? Will the recruits we've added make 2018 more successful than we think?

giphy.gif

Where you want to be is to where you have a roster full of guys that make it so you have depth at every position group.

Depth is not "names on a list with class balance".

Depth is "class balance with everyone able to play if called upon without sucking".

I think we're getting a lot closer to that. And where it gets you is that you have much more competitive practices, a lot more insurance against injury, and the security of being able to play vets who only get beat out by playmakers -- not just competence.

2018 isn't quite there and 2019 will likely have some similar questions heading into the season at other position groups. I believe we're on the path to having that sort of roster by 2020.

Recruiting is definitely getting better. Coach McIntyre has upgraded the staff each year For recruiting. Maybe not as drastically as I would like but definitely getting better. With better staff, more focused effort in recruiting our footprint, the new facilities, and better results on the field the trend should continue. We should see the results of these last two classes in a couple years.
In 2018 we got some really good Juco players to fill hole to bridge the gap and have an instant impact. Hopefully we won't need to rely so heavily on Juco players in the future. We need to keep doing a better job recruiting high school talent.

I think it remains to be seen if the recruiting at the high school level is getting that much better.
Very good point, definitely need to improve in that area. I don't mind the Jucos but that can blow up on you if you're too dependent on that.

It’s improved definitely. The caliber of high school players we’re accepting is now higher than it was before, which is a step in the right direction. I’m wary of all the juco’s, I’d rather add them because of want instead of need, but we can’t complain. I think the fact we’re seeing kids commit early in-state is a HUGE plus for MM. He’s getting to the top kids in state and he’s getting them excited to be buffaloes. This program is never going to be successful if all our top talent is always going somewhere else. I’d say we’re about 70% where we want to be. We’re attracting better talent, we’re accepting better talent and we’re becoming more desirable as a place for kids to play. That last 30% is going to be translating all this to the field and into wins. If we can do that we can take the next step and that is to land top 300 talent regularly, not just entertain it. Once you win, it’s a snowball effect for talent. We’re so close to breaking through here, but now all of this is on the coaches in place to make it happen. If they can’t develop these kids and put them in a position to succeed, we’re going to stay at this level. Im really excited for this team right now, I think they’re so close to becoming something really special again.

Agree that we have gotten much better but as stated above HS recruiting is still not where it needs to be. We are still to busy filling holes with JUCOs but all that does is put a band-aid on the problem that comes off in a relatively short time and leaves the hole again.

Also can note that major improvements have been made in terms of the bottom of the HS class. We are no longer seeing many guys who look like they belong on a G5 commit list. Our commits top to bottom almost all have other P5 offers.

What we haven't gotten though is a lot of the guys who everybody wants, the players who are expected to come in and contribute almost right away and have a high potential to be all-conference or all-American.

The LB group must upgrade. Need guys who can rush and cover but definitely need inside guys who are bigger and more physical.

When we had all those stud lb's in late 80s and 90s, most offenses cu played ran more. All these spread offenses change things I get that, but still need studs like a russell to help the run defense.

I'm looking at the recent success in TX (WRs from last year, Bynes and Fillip/3 rbs combined 2017/2018) and the new/continuing success in CO (flipped moretti, kept Stanley, received verbal from Evans). Our HS recruiting may not be darting up at a rapid rate, but I think the team's recruiting is definitely improving at an exceptional rate.

Definitely getting better, but questionable in key areas. Even in this class, the front seven recruiting was still hit or miss.
What position would you say we recruited better high school talent in the first three years than the talent we have landed in the last two?
Maybe DBs but only because MMac had an eye for talent Uwuzie, Thompson and Oliver. They were much better than they were rated as recruits. But who is to say Miller, Wallace and Hipolite won't be similar?

What position would you say we recruited better high school talent in the first three years than the talent we have landed in the last two?
Maybe DBs but only because MMac had an eye for talent Uwuzie, Thompson and Oliver. They were much better than they were rated as recruits. But who is to say Miller, Wallace and Hipolite won't be similar?

I guess I would say I do not see the dramatic jump in certain areas (mainly the front seven). Until we see more consistency there, we are going to struggle to break out of the 5-7 win range.

OTOH, the OL recruiting has taken a dramatic step forward. Quarterbacks and wide receivers as well. Running backs? We'll see.

Perhaps a better question is where have we taken a step back (since MMac got here)? I think we have improved across the board. Does that mean we have arrived? Certainly not. But the trend in all position groups is positive.

Perhaps a better question is where have we taken a step back (since MMac got here)? I think we have improved across the board. Does that mean we have arrived? Certainly not. But the trend in all position groups is positive.

Better across the board, but I do not really consider year six to be the year you keep using "better than 2013" as a measuring stick.

Better across the board, but I do not really consider year six to be the year you keep using "better than 2013" as a measuring stick.
I get that... But there is nothing to suggest that 2019 won't be better than 2018. In fact, 2019 seems to have started well. My point is, while we all would prefer that we have classes in the top ten, it's not realistic based on where we came from. IMO, the Buffs are on a fine trajectory.

I agree, I think you build inside out. We seem to be building outside in. Skill positions are gonna have trouble if the big men up front aren't getting the job done, that's on both sides of the ball.
That's kind of an NFL thing to say. In college, there's no need to prioritize one position group over another. We're recruiting, not drafting & signing free agents.

The "build" in the trenches simply hasn't been as effective as it has been on the outside. Took too long to make staff changes to fix that.

I get that... But there is nothing to suggest that 2019 won't be better than 2018. In fact, 2019 seems to have started well. My point is, while we all would prefer that we have classes in the top ten, it's not realistic based on where we came from. IMO, the Buffs are on a fine trajectory.

Consistently recruiting high-school heavy classes in the Top 30ish should be the goal going forward. We are not there yet.

That's kind of an NFL thing to say. In college, there's no need to prioritize one position group over another. We're recruiting, not drafting & signing free agents.

The "build" in the trenches simply hasn't been as effective as it has been on the outside. Took too long to make staff changes to fix that.
I hear you but I think it's exactly what needs to be done to compete at a very high level again. I think that's any level of ball honestly. Anyway, just agree to disagree perhaps.

Bottom line, he needs to get back to a bowl this season or I am not sure it matters except to the next coach. Recruiting is so much better than before he arrived and even his 14 or 15 classes. That is where the gaps are coming from and we will need to leverage the grad transfers and Jucos next off season to plug some holes as well no matter who the coach is. Trending the right direction but we should be beyond missing bowls anymore

I agree, I think you build inside out. We seem to be building outside in. Skill positions are gonna have trouble if the big men up front aren't getting the job done, that's on both sides of the ball.

Yep. If you look at recruits the top 300 are always outstanding athletes, QB’s and predominantly kids that already weigh close to 300lbs ready to compete physically at the college level on the D and O-lines. There’s a reason the top schools stay the top schools. They have the beef to back it up every year and they have the backups to complement the starters. We need to start snagging a few.

I'm just not able to drink the kool aid yet after all I drank last year. It tasted especially nasty coming back up late in the season. In recruiting you can't sell "everyone is equal when the season starts and you get a good shot to play as a freshman" when you really don't. Quit playing seniors just because they are seniors. This we have to take baby steps this far into MM's tenure is bull****. Just ****ing win.

Back