What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!
  • There has been an ongoing bug where club membership subscriptions have not been expiring. We have fixed this bug, and on October 7 users who do not have an active subscription will have their membership revoked, and you will be given the opportunity to renew. Please visit this post for details: https://allbuffs.com/threads/club-membership-privileges-not-being-revoked-when-yearly-subscription-ends.160161/

Thoughts on the "turnaround"....

I am not sold on the "turnaround", there are bright spots, but when you are 12-33 in conference, and finish last in your division four out of five years, it is a little hard to say there has been a "turnaround".

But, credit where credit is due, CU lit it up in 2016. In retrospect, it was lightning in a bottle, a down P12, and some solid coaching and playing that put CU first in its division. Yahoo. A total no show blowout in the CCG and bowl game took most of the luster of that finish.

Whatever goodwill was left was squandered by another piss poor record in 2017. IMO, had MikMac not won COY and won his division last year, he very well could be the DC at Louisville right now. Once the team was totally "his guys" they flopped.

Still, recruiting is picking up. The dead weight from SJSU is largely gone. He has another year. Honestly, I have a hard time finding 6 W's given the lack of OL. If CU gets to 6 wins and a bowl, I will be of the opinion the minimum amount of required progress has been made.

I am not sold on the "turnaround", there are bright spots, but when you are 12-33 in conference, and finish last in your division four out of five years, it is a little hard to say there has been a "turnaround".

But, credit where credit is due, CU lit it up in 2016. In retrospect, it was lightning in a bottle, a down P12, and some solid coaching and playing that put CU first in its division. Yahoo. A total no show blowout in the CCG and bowl game took most of the luster of that finish.

Whatever goodwill was left was squandered by another piss poor record in 2017. IMO, had MikMac not won COY and won his division last year, he very well could be the DC at Louisville right now. Once the team was totally "his guys" they flopped.

Still, recruiting is picking up. The dead weight from SJSU is largely gone. He has another year. Honestly, I have a hard time finding 6 W's given the lack of OL. If CU gets to 6 wins and a bowl, I will be of the opinion the minimum amount of required progress has been made.

I’ll give you nine wins.

I sincerely hope you are right, but I will believe it when I see it.

If you go back I gave you 10 wins in the regular season in 2016. I really think it’s next years team that is more on that level. This year with a bowl win to get to nine. Even though I don’t believe in picking bowl games before the season. Any given Saturday rule. Law of larger numbers works for the twelve game season for me.

Lots of chatter about not being built up on the OL, Morretti, Polley, and Newman (for a moment) looked like a really nice OL recruiting class in '17. Polley and Morretti both redshirted last year, and what they end up being will tell us a lot about how good Mac was able to recruit while winning 10 games.

You do realize Moretti has yet to suit up because of injury, right?
Absolutely do. A lot of the complaints, appropriately, are about the line play. See my previous post about what I think they mean about the job Mac is doing to turnaround the program.

Absolutely do. A lot of the complaints, appropriately, are about the line play. See my previous post about what I think they mean about the job Mac is doing to turnaround the program.
I like Lynott, Haigler, but the Polley, Sherman, Moretti class could be the turn in the bend. I hope MikMac is around to see it...

Lots of chatter about not being built up on the OL, Morretti, Polley, and Newman (for a moment) looked like a really nice OL recruiting class in '17. Polley and Morretti both redshirted last year, and what they end up being will tell us a lot about how good Mac was able to recruit while winning 10 games.
I agree totally. Loved the young OL as recruits. I just think folks should slow the roll a bit on guys who've yet to suit up. It's the same old offseason theme that talks everyone into 9 wins!

Our OL was horrible last year and we lost two multi-year (and I mean multi-year) starters, plus a lot of snaps in Huckins. Throw in Lynott's uncertainty, and there's questions.

Kaiser and Miller saw their first true PT and should improve, and hopefully get bigger still.
Lynott is a question mark, and it wouldn't surprise to see him take a step back.
Haigler had a very weird 2017 and did not play to expectations, not sure why, so not sure what to expect.

Add to that what looks like a gap in classes before we get to some of the younger guys, and color me concerned. Throw in the lack of competition on our DL to go against and I'm going to be concerned deeply until I see otherwise.

And we added Roddick and Ray from that same year's seniors. They're higher rated OL recruits than almost anyone recruited to CU going back to Hawkins (before the wheels fell off) .

The bottom of the class is so much better. The top needs to be a bit higher. 3-4 four stars per class to consistently compete in the pac 12. I don’t mind the jc and transfers. I think it shows our staff is adapting to the new realities of college ball and recognizing his need to win immediately.

ESPN ranks are favorable. Antwine and Stanley came a point from 4 stars as well.
I’d only looked at Rivals and 247. Those are more favorable, although the class rank is pretty consistent. Still like the fact that there are no kids where I say “How can they make that work.” In the early classes I felt that way on occasion.

I’d only looked at Rivals and 247. Those are more favorable, although the class rank is pretty consistent. Still like the fact that there are no kids where I say “How can they make that work.” In the early classes I felt that way on occasion.

If you go back and look at each class for the last seven years, and see how each player contributed... It might make you cringe.

For those of you who want to understand the correct usage of the term "begging the question", the title of this thread is a prime example.

Tell me about it, quality is definitely up with recruiting.

For those of you who want to understand the correct usage of the term "begging the question", the title of this thread is a prime example.
I have. There are a ton of kids that acted as blocking and tackling dummies while getting there education paid for and that is okay as long as they didn’t hurt the program during their time here. I then looked at the four star kids and they worked out a lot more consistently than the two stars and grey shirts. Still alot that didn’t pan out, but that’s college and easing 17 and 18 year old boys into adulthood.

My expectations of CU are probably based on historical relevance rather than fact. I see this class as the base of what should be acceptable. With our facilities and the beauty and educational and historic performance at CU there is no excuse for them not being top 35 every year in my mind.
All of you have so much more patience than me. I wanted Jeffcoat and Bernardi fired after their fourth game.

Back