What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Troy Taylor…Sacramento St Head Coach

GoBuffs99

Karl Dorrell's Sock
-played QB at Cal and had a brief stint in the NFL. Was as a grad assistant at CU in 1995. Spent the next four seasons as a position coach at Cal.

-then 7 seasons as the head coach at Folsom HS (D-1in California). Record of 58-3 in his final four seasons their and in each of those season they broke the all time state record for most passing yards in a season. And in his final season they won the state championship and set the all time Cali HS record for most points in a season.

-took the offensive coordinator job at Eastern Washington in 2016. That year they set the all time FCS record for most yards in a season.

- spent 2017 and 2018 in the Pac-12 as Utah’s offensive coordinator. Averaged about 30ppg both years. Not amazing, but good.

-took the HC job at Sac St in 2019. The year before he got their they were last in the conference. In Taylor’s 2 full seasons plus this year he’s 22-5 including 15-1 in the Big Sky. In both seasons he was the Big Sky coach of the year and made the FCS playoffs.

Hiring an FCS coach would be a tough sell. Even a non P5 coach at this point

Oooh has ties to CU.

Desus And Mero Pass GIF by Bernie Sanders

Hiring an FCS coach would be a tough sell. Even a non P5 coach at this point
I don’t think anyone is going to be a hard sell so long as the contract has protections against bailing out AND being horrible, there’s a possibility of success, and the hire follows the release of KD.

Tressel came to OSU straight from Youngstown St, did he not?

I think this is the kind of hire CU will need to make on the next go round. No one of legitimate promise in FBS is going to come here with the program in this bad of shape, and financially we probably couldn’t afford them even if they were willing.

We need someone who’s competent, young, has a track record of success, and is looking for a chance to prove themselves with the big boys. The thing about CU right now is, the team is so unbelievably horrible that if anyone managed to right this ship and get the program to 8 or so wins in a couple of years, their next call isn’t going to be from a group of 5 school, it’s going to be from someone in the Big 10 or the SEC.

I don’t think anyone is going to be a hard sell so long as the contract has protections against bailing out AND being horrible, there’s a possibility of success, and the hire follows the release of KD.

Tressel came to OSU straight from Youngstown St, did he not?
Youngstown St won 4 I-AA (now FCS) titles with Tressel. Sacramento St has won a couple Big Sky Titles.

just because sac state owns the state of colorado doesn't mean their hc is ready for the p5.

pass.

i hate about 99.9% of the names bandied about, however, and this is likely the weight class we are punching in.

I really think this is an underrated option. Extremely successful as a head coach and record breaking offenses (albeit at lower levels). And he did just spend two years as the OC at Utah so has some quality P5 experience.

Overlooking the career defining year as a CU GA

His offense would definitely be the anti-KD. Lots of throwing it around. If he got a really good QB he'd probably be scary

The lack of Texas recruiting stands out as a concern. I bet he'd actually recruit California unlike ****ing every CU HC for some reason, but we can't just do CA, gotta do TX too.

watching Sac St tonight with P12 after dark MIA somehow

fun fact Kent Baer has apparently been DCing for Montana since we got rid of him

Taylor went for an onside down 7 with like 6 min to go, love it

watching Sac St tonight with P12 after dark MIA somehow

fun fact Kent Baer has apparently been DCing for Montana since we got rid of him

Taylor went for an onside down 7 with like 6 min to go, love it
And they won. He's probably #4 for me. Interesting idea. He's won there. They throw the ball around.

Perhaps you could talk me into this one. But again the whole FCS thing is hard for me to get over

If, and that’s a big IF, you go with an FCS coach, then structure a very favorable contract for CU in terms of both HC salary and buyout. And then allocate some serious dollars to the assistants.

If, and that’s a big IF, you go with an FCS coach, then structure a very favorable contract for CU in terms of both HC salary and buyout. And then allocate some serious dollars to the assistants.
I think that's a must-have no matter how you hire. Way too many unknowns when hiring a coach, if he gets the assistants right, etc. Look at the highest profile big money hires and I'm not sure they have seen a 50% success rate. Then you got Sonny Dykes teams showing they can play Defense (all about the hires).

Go with a big name if you got the money. I sort of doubt we have any though.

I kind of hate this idea actually. What kind of big name coordinator is coming to a program with a bargain HC on a very school friendly contract?

I kind of hate this idea actually. What kind of big name coordinator is coming to a program with a bargain HC on a very school friendly contract?
I agree that you will not get a big time coordinator, but I’m suggesting that you don’t go bargain basement on assistants. Go find and pay coordinators that have a good track record and looking for a promotion in power 5. CU would not be luring coaches that are close to getting a head gig or already getting paid in P5. Go find good position coaches. Go pay for recruiters.

For example, CU can lure a decent offensive line coach like Kaplovic or they can pay nothing and get coach blocking sled from high school.

I agree that you will not get a big time coordinator, but I’m suggesting that you don’t go bargain basement on assistants. Go find and pay coordinators that have a good track record and looking for a promotion in power 5. CU would not be luring coaches that are close to getting a head gig or already getting paid in P5. Go find good position coaches. Go pay for recruiters.

For example, CU can lure a decent offensive line coach like Kaplovic or they can pay nothing and get coach blocking sled from high school.
I think there’s a lot of room between Kapilovic and Rodriguez and we should be somewhere in between. CU isn’t paying $1M for an OL coach and Sled shouldn’t be a college coach anywhere.

Hire the best HC you can get, make sure you provide a reasonable (doesn’t have to be SEC level) budget for assistants. Spend the most on the coordinator who controls the opposite side of the ball as your HC, and supplement most of the position coaches with young guys earlier in their careers who have the energy and ambition to recruit their asses off. If given the choice, I’ll always take plus recruiter over plus position coach because worst case your team is more talented for the next guy.

I think there’s a lot of room between Kapilovic and Rodriguez and we should be somewhere in between. CU isn’t paying $1M for an OL coach and Sled shouldn’t be a college coach anywhere.

Hire the best HC you can get, make sure you provide a reasonable (doesn’t have to be SEC level) budget for assistants. Spend the most on the coordinator who controls the opposite side of the ball as your HC, and supplement most of the position coaches with young guys earlier in their careers who have the energy and ambition to recruit their asses off. If given the choice, I’ll always take plus recruiter over plus position coach because worst case your team is more talented for the next guy.
I think we agree here. In the past, CU has hamstrung the assistant pool by being cheap. What I’m saying is that if you do save a few bucks on an FCS coach invest those dollars in the assistant pool.

I'm liking this idea more and more.

He has coached in P5 programs and played for one. So check that box for being a guy who knows how to operate at this level.

Great background as a HS coach in CA. That checks a box for recruit credibility where we need it.

High powered offense. That checks the box for delivering an exciting product, which we need.

Spent a year as the color commentator for Cal football. Underrated box check there for being savvy to media.

Instead of staying at Utah (where his offense was limited by the style Whittingham wants to play), took over a bad FCS program and immediately turned them into a national power. Checks the all-important boxes of being able to build a program fast & of being a winner.

Not my top choice since Petersen & Prime haven't returned my calls to say "No" and the folks at Independence Community College have been completely unhelpful in getting me an answer. But I like him a whole lot from among what's left after the Hail Mary candidates.

I'm liking this idea more and more.

He has coached in P5 programs and played for one. So check that box for being a guy who knows how to operate at this level.

Great background as a HS coach in CA. That checks a box for recruit credibility where we need it.

High powered offense. That checks the box for delivering an exciting product, which we need.

Spent a year as the color commentator for Cal football. Underrated box check there for being savvy to media.

Instead of staying at Utah (where his offense was limited by the style Whittingham wants to play), took over a bad FCS program and immediately turned them into a national power. Checks the all-important boxes of being able to build a program fast & of being a winner.

Not my top choice since Petersen & Prime haven't returned my calls to say "No" and the folks at Independence Community College have been completely unhelpful in getting me an answer. But I like him a whole lot from among what's left after the Hail Mary candidates.
Sold

Also, current salary is $240k.

If we could get him for a UA Jed Fisch contract, we'd be able to build one hell of a staff around him.

(Fisch was 5 years @ $1.8, $1.8, $2.0, $2.2, $2.3)

Reactions: wip
Also, current salary is $240k.

If we could get him for a UA Jed Fisch contract, we'd be able to build one hell of a staff around him.

(Fisch was 5 years @ $1.8, $1.8, $2.0, $2.2, $2.3)
My question with the concept of going cheap on HC so you can build a great staff around him is, who is he going to attract that would be worth the big $$$ that isn’t borderline qualified to also be the HC? Gonna pay HC $1.8m and each coordinator $1m? I’m just not sure that works

Back