What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

USC hires Mike Bohn to replace Lynn Swann as AD

The comment about him coming here was squarely tongue in cheek.

I do wonder why I’m just now hearing about this supposed great relationship the two have.

The comment about him coming here was squarely tongue in cheek.

I do wonder why I’m just now hearing about this supposed great relationship the two have.

They became friendly when Urban would go to Cincy to watch his son play college baseball.

If she's really concerned with getting it right, she'll put some institional controls in place that will outlast any Meyer tenure.

"You guys get your coach, but the cost is this new set of institional controls that makes sure he (and future coaches) don't get the University in trouble again."

Changing out of personnel without changing the institional structure that allowed previous personnel to **** up isn't really addressing the problem - those problems can (and given humans probably will) happen again.

This is also why I think **** Baylor, Pedo State and Michigan State continue to deserve our ire: they never addressed the institional structures that allowed those heinous abuses to happen in the first place.
What kind d of controls? Interesting idea.

If folks think Bohn did some stellar job with CU basketball, a history lesson is in order. Yes he hired Tad Boyle, but at the time that was a stretch. He bumbled and stumbled all the way to somehow getting Tad here.
  • He failed in his handling of Ricardo Patton's final season (2006-07). Patton was allowed to go into the final year of his contract a year later than it was obvious to ALL basketball fans that he needed to be gone. Imagine if a football coach, hanging by a thread, was allowed to go into his final year with no vote of confidence. It was just as terrible, only on a smaller scale. In my 40 years of watching CU BB, I cannot remember a more depressing time. Mike Bohn did that.
  • After Patton's team that year lost by 38 points to Air Force in CS, he then hired their coach Jeff Bzdelik. Granted he had an NBA resume, but he was clearly not a fit here. Bzdelik had him by the short hairs from the moment he was on campus. In Jeff's first year, half the team was gone. No apologies to tickets holders from anyone about the absolute ****e storm happening up there.
  • Bzdelik STUNK for 3 years (12-20, 9-22, 15-16), but did manage to bring some guys here. Somehow he convinced Wake Forest to hire him, which worked out well.
  • Bohn looked for the next best coach in Colorado at the time and found Boyle. It was a reach at the time, but it has worked out reasonably well for CU since then. (Tad needs to get back to the tourney, like NOW.) Boyle is a good guy, clean and a proud Buff, but if THAT hire is the reason he's a great hire for USC then good luck to those guys.
I met Bohn a bunch of times, both here and on the road at BB and FB games. Decent guy but no genius. He was in over his head here, but managed to fool Phil and the other guys up there. It's hard to imagine this latest gig working out well for anyone at USC.
Bohn gets too much credit for hiring Tad. Bohn wanted to hire Mike Dunlap, but was persuaded to interview Boyle.

That's right, I forgot about the Dunlap thing. Who knows how things might've turned out if Dunlap was hired, but my point at the time (loudly, on the other message board) was this: Can't we do a national search? There ARE good basketball coaches who don't live along friggin' I-25, believe it or not.

Looks like its all sunshine and rainbows on the USC 247sports board after the introductory presser, other than concerns that Folt said integrity several times when referencing criteria for what they want for new coaches.

This is a bit cruel to Helton, just go ahead and fire the guy.

Bohn gets too much credit for hiring Tad. Bohn wanted to hire Mike Dunlap, but was persuaded to interview Boyle.
I'm not privy to all the conversation that went on in hiring Tad, but I was present with Bohn the day it was announced Bzdelik was leaving for Wake and know that Boyle was the only name I heard thrown around.

I'm not privy to all the conversation that went on in hiring Tad, but I was present with Bohn the day it was announced Bzdelik was leaving for Wake and know that Boyle was the only name I heard thrown around.

Played a year for Tad's predecessor in Greeley. Knew people in the UNC AD at the time this search was going on-and this is what they were saying. Dunlap was working for Ernie Kent at Oregon (who got fired that year).......his stock was a little low (given how people in CBB used to think of him similarly to Bob Stitt in football) and he didn't get a ton of traction for this gig.

lol poor Helton

If I'm Joe Parker in Fort Collins and I move on from Bobo, he's a guy I'd reach out to. Helton seems like the kind of coach who would do well in the MWC to me. He's also got Memphis ties, too. If Mike Norvell leaves, watch his name come up there.

Last edited:
If I'm Joe Parker in Fort Collins and I move on from Bobo, he's a guy I'd reach out to. Helton seems like the kind of coach who would do well in the MWC to me. He's also got Memphis ties, too. If Mike Norvell leaves, watch his name come up there.

maybe.. idk he's some kind of awful at the recruiting thing because USC is currently behind us, which is a fireable offense in itself. And he's an offensive guy, but was basically forced to hire Kingsbury/Discount Kingsbury who has an entirely different offense than what he prefers. Maybe he just got USCucked, but eh. Plus his good times at USC may have been mostly Darnold just going nuts making plays.

If I’m Joe Parker, I’d maybe call MM.

Back