What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

WBB '18 CA Forward/ Wing Sirena Tuitele (Signed to COLORADO)

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
This is nothing new (her commitment was already reported a couple weeks ago***), but thought since she IS a Buff verbal commit, Sirena Tuitele should have her own thread (especially with the start of the initial signing period (11/8/17) now less than a month away!).

Welcome and congrats again to her!

(***Original discussion for her is in the https://www.allbuffs.com/threads/2018-wbb-recruit-profile-index.118684/page-3 thread, with her being recruited by the Buffs 1st disclosed in MarkW's post #52, while her CU commitment was found and then discussed in post #'s 79-83.)

Tweet that 1st showed interest by and for the Buffs (again, 1st found and posted by MarkW)-

Her commitment tweet (1st found by EdB60)-

Just copying the info I found out about her and included in my post #81 of the above linked-to recruiting thread-

"
Sirena (Peanut) Tuitele is a 6'2" center on her high school team, but from the below Prospect Nation quotes, assume she projects as a wing-forward with the Buffs. She currently plays for Pleasant Valley HS in Chico California, and the JBS Basketball Club Team (http://www.jbsbasketball.com/jbs-adidas-gauntlet-1.html) .

A few things I could find regarding her-
  • I couldn't find her included in their Recruit Database or rankings, but a couple Prospect Nation notes on her-
From https://prospectsnation.com/story/summer-invite-delights-2017 - "... However, the July stock-riser of this group is Serina Tuitele who brings energy, hustle and a scoring touch as a 6-2 wing-forward."

And (also included in MarkW's post #52, but copied here to have things in one place), from https://prospectsnation.com/story/elite-earned-shootout-risers -
"
Sirena Tuitele (Chico, Calif.), JBS Gauntlet I – 2018
Sirena-Tuitele-EIESO17-Vert.jpg

Sirena "Peanut" Tuitele is a matchup problem at the forward spot for JBS.
*Photo by Xavier Johnson.

The 6-2 Tuitele has to be in the mix as one of the biggest risers of the summer and her play at the EIE Shootout only emphasized it. She is a smooth athlete who is really difficult to defend at the high post because of her quickness, power, ability to hit the mid-range jumper as well as blow by defenders to the rim.
"
  • Looks like she was named Northern (California) section MVP her sophomore season, and was 1st Team All-North Section this past season.-"
http://www.chicoer.com/article/NA/20160330/SPORTS/160339972

http://www.chicoer.com/article/NA/20170405/SPORTS/170409879

(As the post of her team, looks like she wasn't called on to shoot from distance that often (only 60 attempts), but the stats do show her at 37% from 3 over her high school years to date. Overall, a 62% shooting % is obviously VERY good, even for a center.)
  • Like a few recent bball Buffs, she also looks to be an accomplished volleyball player, as she was named All Northern Section as a middle blocker in that sport also this past season- http://www.chicoer.com/article/NA/20170125/SPORTS/170129826 . (Note- looking at her school's Maxpreps stats, doesn't look like she's playing vball this season.)
"

PN has her rated above Danielle Cosgrove who CU was going after and has committed to Notre Dame. I know that they are different types of players, but still . . .

I wonder how she got the the nickname "Peanut?"

I hope we'll see more tape of her from her senior season. Also, I am looking forward to reading what the coaching staff has to say about her in a few weeks when she signs.

I've heard rumor that she is somehow related to Sefo. Anyone know if that is true?

Nominees, not AAs.
Right. And that is a BIG difference. For the 2018 girls McDonald's AA's there were over 400 girls nominated and for the boys, over 300 nominated. The McD AA team is only 24 each.
I just did a little searching and found at least 2 of the MBB freshmen were nominated for McD AA last year ... D'Shawn Schwartz and McKinley Wright. There may have been more because I didn't research all of them.
I think what this is was a change in philosophy ... to highlight this accomplishment for these players. For example, Annika Jank was also a nominee last year but didn't get this type of publicity.

Last edited:
I'd like to see more of Peanut's highlights. The one above shows a lot of her work near the basket, but she'll be more of a perimeter player at CU.

I'd like to see more of Peanut's highlights. The one above shows a lot of her work near the basket, but she'll be more of a perimeter player at CU.

I think she will be a strong but undersized 4 (height). I don't see her as a 3. Unfortunately, Jank and Hollingshed will have to play a lot of 5 if Bunn doesn't return.

I'm getting the impression that JR would love to play positionless basketball with 5 players in the 6'0" to 6'4" range who can all handle, shoot and rebound. Maybe mix in one true PG into that mix.

I'm getting the impression that JR would love to play positionless basketball with 5 players in the 6'0" to 6'4" range who can all handle, shoot and rebound. Maybe mix in one true PG into that mix.

You can do that but you better have somebody big enough to handle a big post and somebody quick enough to handle PG's.

60-56 Buffs. Correal with some huge baskets inside. End of 3rd.

Jank and Correal each with 4 fouls.

I think she will be a strong but undersized 4 (height). I don't see her as a 3. Unfortunately, Jank and Hollingshed will have to play a lot of 5 if Bunn doesn't return.
I think the coaching staff see her as a wing primarily, but perhaps like Knight she'll get some time at the 4 as well.

As for Bunn, if she isn't going to be back next season the coaching staff has to sign another post this spring - most likely a juco or graduate transfer.

Even if Bunn is back for next season I think the coaches should be looking for another post this spring.

Even if Bunn is back for next season I think the coaches should be looking for another post this spring.
Yep. Regardless they are in desperate need of post reinforcements. Zoe's gonna be missed and she hasn't been enough.

I think the coaching staff see her as a wing primarily, but perhaps like Knight she'll get some time at the 4 as well.

As for Bunn, if she isn't going to be back next season the coaching staff has to sign another post this spring - most likely a juco or graduate transfer.

I don't think she is quick enough to stay with a quick 3. She will probably play 3 and 4 depending on the match up. The ideal 3 for this staff is Haley Smith. Quick and atlhletic but big enough to rebound and handle people inside. Knight needs to gain about 20 lbs to get there and improve her offensive game. JMO

Back