What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

WBB off season news

Buffs take over in the 2nd (especially. defensively) and lead 33-19 at the half.

I'm at the game. Started slow and picked it up in the second quarter. The two transfers from Washington are going to help a lot. Enjoying watching my first live game in over1.5 years since I missed the men's scrimmage. Hoping for a top half finish this year.

Mines won garbage time in the 4th, but the Buffs still get an easy victory. Main thing for me is it's always good to see the players that were healthy being healthy. (The only 3 I believe I saw not in uniform were Whittaker, Knight and, I think (???) maybe Lafontaine.)

Mines won garbage time in the 4th, but the Buffs still get an easy victory. Main thing for me is it's always good to see the players that were healthy being healthy. (The only 3 I believe I saw not in uniform were Whittaker, Knight and, I think (???) maybe Lafontaine.)

Whittaker is out for the year after surgeries. She was there tonight on crutches. Knight is done. She has had more problems with her shoulder

Friend of mine sent me a text last night about Whitaker being on crutches. I told him that was known at the end of last season. He is a pessimist. Said without Whitaker and Knight, we will have a bottom half finish.

I choose to believe a top half finish if the players stay healthy. That's always a big factor for any team as we have seen with volleyball this season.

Whittaker is out for the year after surgeries. She was there tonight on crutches. Knight is done. She has had more problems with her shoulder

Re Aubrey Knight, is that new news that's she's "done" playing (at least as a Buff)? Or is that just your opinion of whether she'll be able to contribute based on her injury history?

I have no inside info on any Buff teams, so usually find injury stuff out from Buffzone. I knew early October (from the article I linked to in post #73) she wasn't going be ready at the beginning of practice due to her shoulder. However, none of the few articles I've read there from the last couple months said she's out for the season. Even in the article after last night's game, the Buffzone article by Brian Howell (https://www.buffzone.com/2021/11/01/cu-buffs-roll-past-mines-in-womens-basketball-exhibition/ ) only says in the notes section "Allysa LaFontaine and Aubrey Knight sat out with injuries for the Buffs.". I would think he would have worded it differently (or not mentioned her at all like for Ms. Whittaker) if she's out for the full season.

Also, the cubuffs preview for the scrimmage from just a few days ago (10/31, https://cubuffs.com/news/2021/10/31/womens-basketball-buffs-gear-up-for-season.aspx) still included "Senior Lesila Finau and Aubrey Knight were both in and out of the starting five last season and will look to play key roles for the Buffs in 2021-22. ".

Friend of mine sent me a text last night about Whitaker being on crutches. I told him that was known at the end of last season. He is a pessimist. Said without Whitaker and Knight, we will have a bottom half finish.

I choose to believe a top half finish if the players stay healthy. That's always a big factor for any team as we have seen with volleyball this season.
I didn't pay attention last year to women's hoops during Covid since I wasn't able to go to the games. I saw some new faces last night that gave me hope for a 5-7 finish this year. New players Tayanna Jones, Tameiya Sadler and Quay Miller are ready to compliment the players who are back from last year. Also going to need Hollingshed to shoot the ball more against the top teams.

Re Aubrey Knight, is that new news that's she's "done" playing (at least as a Buff)? Or is that just your opinion of whether she'll be able to contribute based on her injury history?

I have no inside info on any Buff teams, so usually find injury stuff out from Buffzone. I knew early October (from the article I linked to in post #73) she wasn't going be ready at the beginning of practice due to her shoulder. However, none of the few articles I've read there from the last couple months said she's out for the season. Even in the article after last night's game, the Buffzone article by Brian Howell (https://www.buffzone.com/2021/11/01/cu-buffs-roll-past-mines-in-womens-basketball-exhibition/ ) only says in the notes section "Allysa LaFontaine and Aubrey Knight sat out with injuries for the Buffs.". I would think he would have worded it differently (or not mentioned her at all like for Ms. Whittaker) if she's out for the full season.

Also, the cubuffs preview for the scrimmage from just a few days ago (10/31, https://cubuffs.com/news/2021/10/31/womens-basketball-buffs-gear-up-for-season.aspx) still included "Senior Lesila Finau and Aubrey Knight were both in and out of the starting five last season and will look to play key roles for the Buffs in 2021-22. ".
I probably should have said "In my opinion "most likely" done" for Aubrey. I know she has some problem again with the shoulder that has bothered her throughout her years at CU. And I've heard rumor that she has again had surgery on it. Obviously, with the sources you are referencing, there has been no statement from the coaches.

I am hoping for better than 5-7. The eternal optimist when it comes to hoops until they prove me wrong.

I am hoping for better than 5-7. The eternal optimist when it comes to hoops until they prove me wrong.
You think a 1st rd bye in the P12T is a legit expectation for this season?

If so, that would be a major step forward & exciting as hell for this program.

It's become easy to forget how close CU was to being a national elite in WBB and that this is a program capable of getting to and maintaining that level.

You think a 1st rd bye in the P12T is a legit expectation for this season?

If so, that would be a major step forward & exciting as hell for this program.

It's become easy to forget how close CU was to being a national elite in WBB and that this is a program capable of getting to and maintaining that level.
When I was at the game last night with a friend, I told him that I remember going to women's games that were close to sold out. It was as loud as a men's game. Would love to see them get that kind of support. If they win enough and get into the Top 10 and have another Top 10 team come to town it will be rocking again.

For a string of about 10 years during Coach Barry's tenure, we were a well respected WBB team nationally. We went to several Sweet 16's, Elite 8's and one Final Four.

The glory years started with the 1989 Big 8 championship, when Coach Barry threatened to throw the boosters in the pool at the Holiday Inn in Salina. The NCAA first round game that season was a sellout. There were 3 more sellouts while she was coaching.

With the change to the Big 12, CU began going downhill after the first season.

CEC used to rock. We had tailgates on nice weather days. The fans put together a fan club that was eventually taken over by the Athletic Department.

When the crowds increased, CU had to implement WBB season tickets. I think that was for the 93-94 season. People would be lined up at the door and out the door when it opened an hour before the game. There would be a mad rush to the seats and then the arguments started over how many seats could be saved with coats. LOL!

I think some of us who had been sitting in the same seats for many years felt entitled to "our" seats and we didn't like it when all these new people showed up.

CU did a lot of promotions with McDonald's where free tickets were given out. I would take those to my office and CU ended up with 6 season ticket holders from those free tickets. They understood promotion in those days.

I attended lots of road games in those years. I went to every game, home and away, for the 1994-95 season. I was convinced we would not only be at the Final Four but be the champions.

I still attended as I had paid for tickets. I did get to attend the Kodak All America Banquet. That was my consolation price.

Back then, the office would tell me which hotel the team would be staying at so that's where I stayed. Sometimes we were on the same flight.

There were some away games when CU had maybe 10 fans present.

Yes, they were the good old days. I hope they return some day even though I can't attend games because I live too far away.

A side note on expectations for the women's team ... not by me but by Charlie Creme (ESPN bracketologist) and the coaches who vote in the poll:

Creme has Colorado on the bubble in the "Last Four In" group as a 10 seed. He has 7 PAC teams in the tourney so that probably puts the Buffs in 7th place in the conference.

The Coaches Poll has Colorado in the big crowd of teams in the "Others getting votes" group that got a handful of votes

Last edited:
I like Charlie Creme's Bracketology. Will be fun watching the season play out.

Looks like the road game at Okie State will be an important game.

Raoul had noted that she put her name in the transfer portal some time ago.

She had pictures of herself in a UTEP uniform on Instagram this morning (or last night)

I understand the 5th yr seniors and Gerber but Kylee Blacksten leaving isn’t great.

I understand the 5th yr seniors and Gerber but Kylee Blacksten leaving isn’t great.
Having watched Kylee play last year as a freshman and again this season as a soph, I don't have a problem with her seeking to go elsewhere. I saw no real improvement in her game from year 1 to year 2. And the only thing I was pretty sure I'd see when she entered a game was that, within a few minutes at most, she would commit a foul when trying to defend. On a team like CU, that emphasizes defense, her propensity to foul was a liability IMO.. When she first got here I was expecting her to be a good shooter but that hadn't materialized.

I knew in the interviews Peanut and Sila were giving, it didn't sound like they would be staying at Colorado.

Neither Blacksten or Gerber have played very many minutes. Gerber is probably the most enthusiastic bench player I have ever seen.

Having watched Kylee play last year as a freshman and again this season as a soph, I don't have a problem with her seeking to go elsewhere. I saw no real improvement in her game from year 1 to year 2. And the only thing I was pretty sure I'd see when she entered a game was that, within a few minutes at most, she would commit a foul when trying to defend. On a team like CU, that emphasizes defense, her propensity to foul was a liability IMO.. When she first got here I was expecting her to be a good shooter but that hadn't materialized.
Point taken, but it sure will be an awfully young team with the 4 freshmen coming in next year.

Point taken, but it sure will be an awfully young team with the 4 freshmen coming in next year.
Depends on whether the coaches do anything else. With these players leaving and Maura Singer medically retiring, there are now 4 available scholarships. One of those may be going to Tay Jones who it appears is staying for her Covid 5th year. If that's true, they could still bring in up to 3 more players from the portal.

Depends on whether the coaches do anything else. With these players leaving and Maura Singer medically retiring, there are now 4 available scholarships. One of those may be going to Tay Jones who it appears is staying for her Covid 5th year. If that's true, they could still bring in up to 3 more players from the portal.
What do you think our biggest needs are from the portal?

You think this is good attrition then?

I'm just wondering.

Back