What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

WBB off season news

What do you think our biggest needs are from the portal?
I'd like to see an experienced wing player who is a good shooter from mid-range and the 3. And, depending on how Kennedy Taylor has developed as a forward and how Charlotte is recovering from her surgeries, maybe an experienced front court player.

And I hope everyone on the roster spends a lot of time this off-season on free throws and shooting in general..

I hope the Buffs can build off the success of this season and get lucky and/or skillful with its portal adds. I’m not sure what the dynamic is with this program’s recruiting - its obvious that the transfers from Washington were good additions. I’ve read the bios of the incoming freshmen but it’s hard to tell much from those. We seem to still be one major marquee talent away from being a permanent tournament team, but hopefully getting closer. Go Buffs!

Tay Jones did not go through Senior Night because she is going to stay another season.

I was not surprised that either senior went the grad transfer route. It was apparent to me in the interviews they gave at the end of the season, that both wanted to play more basketball but it most likely wouldn't be at CU.

I feel the same way about Blacksten. Can't see what she added to the program.

The Howell article sounds like if Gerber doesn't find a place where she can play more minutes, she will be back as she has an academic scholarship.

It has been obvious all season that we need more consistent shooting. There is not a single player on this team who can be counted on game in and game out to score. All of Creighton's players could shoot. We need to be a team like that.

Obviously we need to shoot free throws and shoot more free throws.

All season we kept hearing about what a great conference the Pac 12 is for women's basketball. Stanford is the only team still alive after the 1st two rounds of the NCAA tournament.

I hope Tam's injury was not a career ending kind and that she can rehab and improve her game.

All of our returning players need to work on their shooting skills.

Wetta has a great future ahead of her but we need some scoring out of her.

We would not have been as close to Creighton as it was if not for Jaylyn Sherrod scoring 27 points. That was her career high. Nobody else was hitting so she took the team on her back. If she hadn't done that, it would have been a worse loss.

This staff does seem to work with players who want to get better and that needs to happen with Kennedy.

The defense is great with the exception of the 3 point shot but we struggled to score in every single game. Need to learn to go inside and draw fouls, not just commit fouls. Yes, we have gotten bad calls but so has every other team. Some of the disparity is from shooting so many 3's that don't go in.

You think this is good attrition then?

I'm just wondering.
I don't think I'd call Blacksten leaving "good attrition". I'd call it "I don't care" attrition. With the other open scholarships, the coaches didn't need her 'ship. And depth is needed in the roster. If she improved a few things she could provide that. So they will need to find that depth elsewhere now, either from incoming freshmen or from a new transfer.

I was not surprised that either senior went the grad transfer route. It was apparent to me in the interviews they gave at the end of the season, that both wanted to play more basketball but it most likely wouldn't be at CU.
Reminder, Grad transfers can get two years of grad school paid for at a new school, versus only one by remaining at CU.

Here is who is on the roster for the '22-'23 season:

Seniors:
Tayanna Jones 6-1 W
Quay Miller 6-3 F
Jaylyn Sherrod 5-7 G

Juniors:
Frida Formann 5-11 W
Tameiya Sadler 5-8 G
Charlotte Whittaker 6-3 F

Sophomores:
Kennedy Taylor 6-3 F
Kindyll Wetta 5-9 G

Freshmen:
Ally Fitzgerald 6-3 F
Lizzie Holder 6-1 F
Brianna McCloud 6-3 F
Jada Wynn 6-0 W

If this list is correct, then there are 3 scholarships available at this time.

Although there are 5 players listed at 6-3 on the roster, after watching some games in person last season I think one player that is very good defensively and opportunistic in the post 6-4 or better. The Buffs really struggled against teams with "long" post players who could intimidate under the rim. The Buffs could use one.

We struggled against height and big, strong players in the post.

That was one reason I wanted to see us play Iowa. Their center is a talented wide body. That type of player has given us problems because none of our players fit that mold.

Guess I'll have to change my answer to what I want to see from the portal. Now another front court player is definitely needed,

Guess I'll have to change my answer to what I want to see from the portal. Now another front court player is definitely needed,

She didn't play much this season. A total of 19 minutes.

Sat behind her parents and grandma in Iowa City. Nice people. All in cheering for the team.

Hope she finds a school where she can play.

We definitely need a big.

With the departure of Taylor and Blacksten it looks like the Buffs have 4 scholarships available if they want to be at 15. It will be interesting to see who JR adds, presumably all from the transfer portal (I would guess). Lots of players out there but it's competitive for the better players with good track records.

Article after the team's annual awards and letterwinners celebration -

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2022/4/10/womens-basketball-buffs-celebrate-memorable-2021-22-season.aspx

"
BOULDER—Head coach JR Payne and her Colorado women's basketball team gathered inside the Arrow Touchdown Club to put a wrap on the 2021-22 season on Sunday. The Buffaloes, just a few weeks removed from their first NCAA Tournament appearance in nine seasons, handed out their annual end-of-season awards along with the season's letterwinners.

Fifth-year senior Mya Hollingshed took home two of the year's honors, claiming the team's Offensive MVP as well as the Lisa Van Goor Rebounding Award. Freshman Kindyll Wetta earned the Newcomer of the Year, Defensive MVP and was one of two Crystal Ford Adams Scholar-Athlete awards winners along with sophomore Frida Formann. Sophomore Tameiya Sadler was awarded Most Improved Player in her first season as a Buff and senior Peanut Tuitele took home the Ceal Barry Pride Award.

"

Read an article on ESPNW. Mya is projected as the 24th pick. It's so tough to make a WNBA team. Hope she is looking at European options.

Hollingshed Selected Eighth Overall in WNBA Draft

NEW YORK CITY—A year ago Mya Hollingshed chose to forego the WNBA Draft for a chance at an NCAA Tournament selection. That decision was the start of the buildup to Monday's entry draft, where Hollingshed was selected as the eighth overall pick in the first round by the Las Vegas Aces.

Hollingshed becomes the first CU women's basketball player selected in the first round of the WNBA Draft. Isabelle Fijalkowski was selected 2nd overall in the 1997 WNBA Elite Draft, which consisted of players who had competed professionally in other leagues prior to the inaugural WNBA season.

The two-time WBCA honorable mention All-American became the first Buffalo selected in the WNBA Draft since Chucky Jefferey went 24th overall to the Minnesota Lynx in 2013. Hollingshed joins the ranks of Fijalkowski, Raegan Scott, Mandy Nightingale, Brittany Spears and Jeffery as the only Buffs to be selected in the WNBA Draft.

"Mya has worked so hard for this opportunity and I am unbelievably proud of her for making this dream come true," Colorado head coach JR Payne exclaimed after Hollingshed's selection. "A huge thank you to the Las Vegas organization for believing in Mya. We are all Aces fans now!"

She started the year on the Preseason Wooden Award Top 50 Watch List and climbed the ranks of the all-time greats to wear the Black and Gold, becoming just the sixth player in CU history to reach 1,600 points and 900 rebounds.

Hollingshed wrapped up her five-year career in Boulder as the program's sixth all-time leading scorer (1,681 points). She also finished sixth in rebounding (911), sixth in double-doubles (25), ninth in 3-point field goals made (164) and first in games played (141).

The Houston, Texas, native, averaged team-highs of 14.1 points and 7.4 rebounds per game in the 2021-22 season. She also led the team from behind the arc, shooting 39.6% from 3-point distance. Hollingshed was the only player in the Pac-12 to lead her team in all three categories (min. 1.0 3FGM/G).

Hollingshed averaged 14.7 points and 7.6 rebounds over her last two seasons, earning back-to-back All-Pac-12 honors. Her 230 total rebounds in 2021-22 were 33 more than her previous high of 197 in her sophomore season.

She scored a career-high 32 points last season against No. 1 Stanford, handing the Cardinal its first loss of the season. She shot 50.0% from the field, making a career-high 12 field goals on 24 attempts. She also had a career-high 17 rebounds at Arizona State (Jan. 22, 2021).

Hollingshed came to Boulder as a freshman in the 2017-18 season, averaging 6.8 points and 3.9 rebounds in 29 games. She emerged as a starter her sophomore season, starting all 30 games and upping her averages to 10.8 points and 6.6 rebounds per game.

Hollingshed was one of three Pac-12 players selected in the first round. Oregon's Nyara Sabally went fifth to New York and Stanford's Lexie Hull went sixth to Indiana.

The Aces, under first-year head coach Becky Hammon, open the season on May 6 against the Phoenix Mercury on NBATV. Las Vegas, which plays its home games at Michelob Ultra Arena – the same arena as the Pac-12 Tournament opens at home on May 8 against the Seattle Storm on ESPN2.

I have been wondering why Mya wasn't in NYC last night. Guess they didn't think she would be selected in the first round. Wonder who was invited and didn't get selected. Gives Mya more incentive to show the Aces what she can do.

I have been wondering why Mya wasn't in NYC last night. Guess they didn't think she would be selected in the first round. Wonder who was invited and didn't get selected. Gives Mya more incentive to show the Aces what she can do.
Mya was not projected by anyone as a first round pick and I guess Las Vegas wasn't about to tell anybody what they were thinking of doing so I can see why Mya was not included in the group of players invited to NYC since they were all supposedly potential first round picks..
Everyone who was invited to NYC was drafted. The last was South Carolina PG Destanni Henderson at #20. There were 3 of the 12 invitees selected in the second round. Michigan's Naz Hillmon at #15 and NC State's Elissa Cunane at #17 in addition to Henderson.

Ex-Cherry Creek player, Stanford's Jana Van Gytenbeek entered the portal a couple of days ago. The 5'7" guard graduated HS in 2020 and has a few years left to play. Played a reserve role at Stanford the last two years. Not saying the Buffs should be interested, just noting that she's out there and was highly thought of coming out of C. Creek.

My take on the Buffs chances for next season are thy only way for them to get back to the NCAA tourney is find a couple of very talented transfers and at least one of them needs to be very long and fairly athletic.

Last season both Quay Miller and Tameiya Sadler made a huge difference. They wouldn't have made the NCAA tourney without them. And now Hollingshed is gone. Miller is gonna have to step up big time and they will still need more scoring and rebounding to get back to where they were last season.

Back