What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Well ... Mel Tucker

2020095_0.jpg

Maybe this isn't the right thread for this, and I didn't see a lot of this per se, but I saw a little anti MacIntyre talk mixed in with the pro Mel Tucker talk.

Yes, Mel Tucker is a better coach and he's just who we need right now, but you gotta remember HCMM was our backup plan and he pulled this team off the literal garbage heap. Without the groundwork laid by MacIntyre (and others) this program doesn't draw a top head coach prospect like Tucker. When it's all said and done Mac II is going to be one of the most important coaches we've had.

I don't think I'm as fat as that guy and I think I was moving faster, but probably a third party observer wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

I did too! I was gliding down the road, dodging imaginary fusker defenders.

I felt like I was moving as fast as Viska while it was happening but that was probably just an endorphin spike.

Best parts of Mel Tucker:

1) he’s a ****in professional. Dude doesn’t talk ****, and when he flirts with **** talking it’s really light and playful. Dude’s all business, little emotion. We tried passionate and sensitive emotional coaches with some degree of talent/charisma-don’t mean **** at the end of the day if you can’t TCOB.

2) Focused. Every shot of him on the sidelines he’s got a serious look on his face (not worried or angry, just sober) and he’s TCOB talking to a coach or player or ref.

3) that smile. Doesn’t bust it out too often, but when he does, means more.

4) halftime adjustments. This one is both practical and metaphorical. During previous coaches’ reigns, I got used to more of the same, and trying to pull off wins through sheer will/hope or luck. How many times were we sorely disappointed by the paltry halftime adjustments in the past? Every game? Dude seemingly makes changes intended to take control of our ****in destiny. I want that in a tough game, and I want that in a coach whose job it is to build a better program.

I can’t remember which interview it was, but recently Tucker was asked what was the most important game he’s coached in. He said it was Michigan State vs #1 Ohio State in 1998, when he was a grad assistant under Saban and he just watched Saban coach his ass off, weather a 17-3 deficit on the road to the #1 team in the country, make adjustments and keep the team calm. That’s the coaching style and philosophy we have now. If we can recruit, holy ****.

Love the locker room videos, especially hearing the way he talks to the team

Piggybacking off TSchek, just watched the postgame presser. What stands out to me more than anything is Coach Tucker is RELENTLESSLY positive.

Never says anything bad on a player, talks them up at every turn. This even extends to the fans, who he easily could have ripped. Repeatedly talked about how great our fans are, how great the facilities are. Wouldn't take the bait from the media when asked about all the red in the stands.

You know he gets on the guys in practice and film sessions. But because of the way he has their backs in public, they know it's coming from a place of love when he coaches hard.

I know we haven't lost yet. But I am confident this is who he is and how he'll be in those settings too.

You can see his message reverberates with our guys. And it will with recruits too.

I had the opportunity to have a 5 minute conversation with him in a casual setting a few months ago, and he is the same person that you see in the media interviews (meaning, he is not being fake in the interviews). The last thing he said to me was: "Well, now I've just got to go win some games." So far, so good.

I had the opportunity to have a 5 minute conversation with him in a casual setting a few months ago, and he is the same person that you see in the media interviews (meaning, he is not being fake in the interviews). The last thing he said to me was: "Well, now I've just got to go win some games." So far, so good.
I also got to chat with HCMT in Vegas at the Pac12 basketball tournament. Friendly but don’t think the glad handing was his thing (which is fine). If I had to describe him in one word it would be “intense”. I said good luck on the season coach. He just said “we are going to get it done.” Not like rah rah get it done but like it was business.

After he left I turned to my friend and wife and pointed out that last season we were at times a soft football team. (Hate to say that about my buffs but we didn’t recover from a punch. I still believe that OSU broke that season.) But I said “this year we may have depth issues and may not be big or fast enough everywhere but we will NOT be a soft team.”

He did leave an impression. Other coaches in the past were nice enough. I mean Rick was fun to have a beer with. But nobody left me with a lasting impression since Mac. (Note I didn’t meet all of them. So can’t comment on some like Barnett, who were winning coaches). Yes I am old, but I was a freshman when I met Coach Mac, so not quite as bad as it sounds.

Check out what KD says at around the 1:50 mark. When we knew who the final candidates for the job were, this was one of the reasons I really wanted Tucker. People can say it makes no difference, but KD 100% just confirmed that it does.

Boulder is beautiful. Boulder has improving facilities. But, Boulder is very white. For many of these guys from much blacker parts of our nation, that whiteness can feel isolating.

Coach Tucker doesn’t want to be labeled as a black coach. He just wants to be a coach. I’ve had bosses like him (current company’s VP and HCMT are very similar backgrounds and personalities). While they don’t like to make race an issue publicly, privately they’ll acknowledge that being a black person in a leadership role not occupied by many other blacks is a tremendous responsibility.

One of those responsibilities is to take care of your players by making sure they’re on the right path.

Check out what KD says at around the 1:50 mark. When we knew who the final candidates for the job were, this was one of the reasons I really wanted Tucker. People can say it makes no difference, but KD 100% just confirmed that it does.

There’s a noticeable change. The music that plays during the breaks in the game, the music that was playing when the students were rushing the field and in the locker room. They’ve done so many things to make the program more appealing to recruits, and much of it has to do with race and culture. Rick George gets it.

There’s a noticeable change. The music that plays during the breaks in the game, the music that was playing when the students were rushing the field and in the locker room. They’ve done so many things to make the program more appealing to recruits, and much of it has to do with race and culture. Rick George gets it.
I'm getting old, cause the music was loud and annoying during the breaks. (And get all those students off my lawn!)

I'm getting old, cause the music was loud and annoying during the breaks. (And get all those students off my lawn!)
The music wasn't my issue, it was all the mental health statements. I get having a couple a game, but there were so many that I was beginning to wonder if I am missing something.

Or maybe they knew CU was going to win and were offering help to the Nubsters.

It’s no surprise that the work week is happier when the Buffs upset a ranked team on prime time television.

Today’s surprise:

An Alabama fan walked unannounced into my office today to congratulate me on the victory.

I asked if Bama fans have a soft spot for Mel Tucker after leaving Sabin for UGA.

The response: oh yeah, we are watching him and want him to succeed. (y)

Maybe this isn't the right thread for this, and I didn't see a lot of this per se, but I saw a little anti MacIntyre talk mixed in with the pro Mel Tucker talk.

Yes, Mel Tucker is a better coach and he's just who we need right now, but you gotta remember HCMM was our backup plan and he pulled this team off the literal garbage heap. Without the groundwork laid by MacIntyre (and others) this program doesn't draw a top head coach prospect like Tucker. When it's all said and done Mac II is going to be one of the most important coaches we've had.
I was never a Mac fan. But he does get credit for improving the talent level to respectable. And ‘16 was magical even though it ended with a bit of a thud.

Back