What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What the hell is with college football polls this year?

Alfred91

Chicks dig scars.
Club Member
This week we have Cincinnati at #7, BYU at #8, Coastal Carolina at #15, Marshall at #16, SMU at #19, Liberty at #22, and Louisiana-Lafayette at #25.

No one can possibly think that those teams are actually as good as those rankings suggest. Cincinnati and BYU might be among the 25 best teams in the country, but not the 10 best. The other 5 are not truly among the best 25 teams in the nation.

I know that teams regularly get ranked higher than they should during the college football season, but this year seems way crazier than usual.

Is it because of covid and the staggered start to the season? Maybe less OOC games? It just seems absurd to me.

This week we have Cincinnati at #7, BYU at #8, Coastal Carolina at #15, Marshall at #16, SMU at #19, Liberty at #22, and Louisiana-Lafayette at #25.

No one can possibly think that those teams are actually as good as those rankings suggest. Cincinnati and BYU might be among the 25 best teams in the country, but not the 10 best. The other 5 are not truly among the best 25 teams in the nation.

I know that teams regularly get ranked higher than they should during the college football season, but this year seems way crazier than usual.

Is it because of covid and the staggered start to the season? Maybe less OOC games? It just seems absurd to me.
If your AD has the operational capability and the coaches, team and community have the discipline to actually maintain a safe enough environment (or they're all just lucky enough) that you can actually regularly and consistently field a team that wins its games - you probably deserve to be ranked higher than a team that may or may not be able to play on Saturday.

*fewer

Pac 12 has played one week with teams like Utah, Washington and Cal not having played a game yet. Wisconsin would likely be a top 10 team if they had played more than one game. Penn State an Michigan started off as highly ranked and have been dog ****. A ton of SEC games have been cancelled.

I actually think the teams you listed are top 25 teams.

Different voters are using different criteria, so far, this year. It will smooth out.

No OOC games to weed out some pretenders. The good non P5 teams (like Cincinnati) just have to beat up their weak brethren.

Cincinnati's really good-and that league is pretty good too. Imagine what they'd have done to Fusker had that game taken place. Fickell will be coaching in the power 5 by 2022.

Bring 'em Young's undefeated record is a product of their schedule-they lost 6 games against power 5 opponents. Had those taken place, they don't win more than 2-3 of them. Definitely overrated.

Coastal and Liberty probably have gaudy records, but their rankings are a product of the Big 10 underwhelming (Ohio State is a behemoth obviously. Is Indiana the second best team in that league? Probably) and the Pac 12 starting this past weekend.

I don't get Marshall being that high.

SMU's fine at 19 honestly. I'd be curious to see them play TCU if those two can get that game rescheduled.

Louisiana's where they are because the B1G has underwhelmed and Utah and Washington (both of whom I thought were borderline top 25 teams) haven't played yet.

Yeah-the polls have been really weird-I'm amazed we didn't get a vote after beating UCLA lol.

Back