What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What's your preference?

What's your preference?

• Total voters
It's a mess; Cignetti has recruited and coached All Americans, turns programs around, knows how to be an HC, and has been successful almost everywhere, he's been winning Championships and multiple coach of the year awards. I believe he'd have the vision and would establish the logistics need to clean up the Buffs.

Herman. Really hoping we get this guy. So cu will probably not interview him and we will get a position coach no one has heard of.

It's a mess; Cignetti has recruited and coached All Americans, turns programs around, knows how to be an HC, and has been successful almost everywhere, he's been winning Championships and multiple coach of the year awards. I believe he'd have the vision and would establish the logistics need to clean up the Buffs.
My concern with Cignetti is that James Madison has been really good under 4 straight coaches. They haven’t had a losing season in 20 years yet the 3 guy s who preceded Cignetti haven’t gone on to do much of anything afterwards. Maybe that’s unfair to Cignetti but also JMU seems to be an easy place to win at.

My concern with Cignetti is that James Madison has been really good under 4 straight coaches. They haven’t had a losing season in 20 years yet the 3 guy s who preceded Cignetti haven’t gone on to do much of anything afterwards. Maybe that’s unfair to Cignetti but also JMU seems to be an easy place to win at.
That's fair.

However, Cignetti's experience leading up to coaching at JMU could just about qualify him for a P5 HC job.

The difference is making the jump to FBS this year and the success he’s continuing to have. Herman is probably the only guy I have trouble finding any issues with to be honest. Feels like CU has a chance to go all in with a guy who should probably still be the HC of a tier 1 program

The difference is making the jump to FBS this year and the success he’s continuing to have. Herman is probably the only guy I have trouble finding any issues with to be honest. Feels like CU has a chance to go all in with a guy who should probably still be the HC of a tier 1 program
With Herman, there'd be more opportunity for CU to establish their HC sooner than waiting on a coach who is currently coaching, right?

Jeff Choate has moved up my board.

When you're broken, you import the program you aspire to be and make sure it's a fit with your DNA.

CU did it once by bringing in the Michigan Schembechler program through Mac.

Choate represents the Petersen system from Washington with proven success building his own program as HC.

Definitely in my Top 3 now, vying for the top of my board.

When you're broken, you import the program you aspire to be and make sure it's a fit with your DNA.

Choate represents the Petersen system from Washington with proven success building his own program as HC.

Chaote’s name has definitely been floated for CU. He’s actually been mentioned for several opening in the last couple of years (Washington, WSU, CSU, among others). With Sarkisian’s status highly questionable and his age (52), he would be a very gettable candidate since he kind of needs to shoot his shot soon.

Choate would be a solid hire. Major question would be the OC hire, but he checks a lot of boxes.

Also, I think it is noteworthy that Feldman floated his name. Feldman is VERY dialed in with coaches/agents.

That's a name that hasn't crossed my mind. I'd be happy with that. I didn't realize his name had been floated already either.

Choate would be a solid hire. Major question would be the OC hire, but he checks a lot of boxes.

Also, I think it is noteworthy that Feldman floated his name. Feldman is VERY dialed in with coaches/agents.
Sean Kugler would be a possibility for OC (or at least OL/AHC).

Choate had accepted DC under him at UTEP before being offered the job at UF and taking that instead.

The only way I see these coordinators working is if they take control of their side of the ball, groom a position coach, and then spend big (or as big as CU can go) on the other side of the ball. Otherwise, we are looking at coordinators who are learning on the job

I think that most fans are coalescing around the following:

If a former HC, someone from the list of Rhule, Bronco, Mullen, Herman, O'Brien and maybe Harsin (edit) or Chryst would be something just about everyone could get behind.

If a current coordinator, Grimes is the top candidate with Walters also viable. Though I think that Tenn OC Alex Golesh is starting to gain momentum (kicked ass as a recruiting coordinator before kicking ass as an OC at UCF & UT). I wouldn't sleep on Michigan OC Sherrone Moore either. (edit) And Kasey Dunn gaining momentum with his work at Okie Lite. (edit) Some love for TCU OC Garrett Riley, too, for the young & dynamic offensive coach lobby.

Last edited:

If a former HC, someone from the list of Rhule, Bronco, Mullen, Herman, O'Brien and maybe Harsin.

If a current coordinator, Grimes is the top candidate with Walters also viable. Though I think that Tenn OC Alex Golesh is starting to gain momentum (kicked ass as a recruiting coordinator before kicking ass as an OC at UCF & UT).
Kasey Dunn is also looking like a genius…

My earlier list assumed only former HCs since that was the rumor. My full list would be:

Tom Herman
Dan Mullen
Jeff Grimes
Kasey Dunn
Bronco Mendenhall

I hope we pursue each of these guys. Some are less realistic than others but I don’t care. We need to swing for the fences this time

My earlier list assumed only former HCs since that was the rumor. My full list would be:

Tom Herman
Dan Mullen
Jeff Grimes
Kasey Dunn
Bronco Mendenhall

I hope we pursue each of these guys. Some are less realistic than others but I don’t care. We need to swing for the fences this time
On "swing for the fences" my opinion is that you first throw the Hail Mary to Petersen (I love mixed metaphors). Is he motivated to be a HC again? Are there terms & conditions which would get him to CU? If "yes" to those questions then that's what you put everything you have toward before giving any consideration to any other option.

New #3 for you today, but my top 2 remain the same-
1. Tom Herman
2. Bronco Mendenhall
3. Garrett Riley-the more I watch TCU, the more I think he's going to kill it as an HC.

Really surprised GR isn't getting more run on here.

Last edited:

If a former HC, someone from the list of Rhule, Bronco, Mullen, Herman, O'Brien and maybe Harsin (edit) or Chryst would be something just about everyone could get behind.

If a current coordinator, Grimes is the top candidate with Walters also viable. Though I think that Tenn OC Alex Golesh is starting to gain momentum (kicked ass as a recruiting coordinator before kicking ass as an OC at UCF & UT). I wouldn't sleep on Michigan OC Sherrone Moore either. (edit) And Kasey Dunn gaining momentum with his work at Okie Lite.
Generally agree with this except not sure just about everyone would get behind Harsin or even Chryst based on some of the reporting we heard. I think you’d heard some griping over an O’Brien hire too even though he was actually a pretty good coach with the Texans, just a terrible GM.

Generally agree with this except not sure just about everyone would get behind Harsin or even Chryst based on some of the reporting we heard. I think you’d heard some griping over an O’Brien hire too even though he was actually a pretty good coach with the Texans, just a terrible GM.
Yeah. I don't know why people would question O'Brien, though. He delivered winning seasons at Penn State in the toughest situation possible and, despite the scholarship limits & negative recruiting, left the program at a talent level they could continue to win & rebuild from.

Yeah. I don't know why people would question O'Brien, though. He delivered winning seasons at Penn State in the toughest situation possible and, despite the scholarship limits & negative recruiting, left the program at a talent level they could continue to win & rebuild from.
I’d be fine with O’Brien personally - I think people would be negative towards him based on the condition he left Houston, but I actually look at his record there compared to what has happened since and maybe it was actually a pretty good coaching job despite a dysfunctional organization.

At this point my preference is someone with a significant offensive background that can fix this offense, someone that even if they fail, I'll at least have gotten to watch something somewhat entertaining. It's always seemed a great shame we haven't utilized a high-powered offense at altitude for decades now as well. I would still consider someone like Walters or Bronco if they can propose a great OC candidate, but I've cooled significantly on Bronco, especially since Anae isn't coming to this mess and Beck has never been an OC.

This is also where I see the strongest candidates-
The long shots being Herman/Mullen/Petersen. I don't think CU has any chance in their current state.

There's no G5 candidate that really stands out, Fritz is 61 and not a great fit, you could drop down to the FCS level with Taylor but I prefer the P5 Coordinator risk over the FCS risk.

Then you've got two different types of P5 Coordinators-
Grimes/Dunn - Both very experienced and proven both as position coaches and coordinators. Have gotten praise from peers and media that they're ready for a HC job. I think Dunn's history with WRs is really intriguing, no matter how much of that offense is his (and Gundy seems to give him a lot of credit). Baylor's offense this year is a little disappointing but at least you know that Grimes has been running his own offense for several years now.

Riley/Golesh/Dillingham/Moore (you could throw Walters with a great plan at OC in here) - Is this a risk either side wants to take (especially with the 32 year old Dillingham)? Maybe not. But one of these guys has to be a genius that could save even CU from the depths right now and they're likely guys who would be out of CU's league in a few years at their current trajectory. For a more stable program with great opportunities in NIL and the portal, these guys and Walters make a lot more sense. CU has made terrible assistant hires for years as well and I worry about any of these guys hiring great assistants.

Oregon is gaining about 100 more yards per game this year. They keep it up, I imagine Dillingham gets consideration for the ASU job.

Tom Herman
Dan Mullen
Jeff Grimes
Kasey Dunn
Bronco Mendenhall

Where the **** is my name on that list? I can do it Goddamnit. :D

Back