What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What's your Top 5 list (and how does it compare to fans in the metro)?

How many of your 5 match the list on the tweet below?

Results are only viewable after voting.
EB is my top choice.

Only other one on the above list that I’d have in my personal top 5 is Walters, and he’d be a far drop down from the top of my list.

Of guys who have been mentioned...

1. Sark
2. Grinch
3. EB
4. Napier
5a. Avalos
5b. Walters
Ooof. Sark is damaged goods. It'd be like having Dad leave you and Mom for the pretty, rich, new divorcee, and Mom lets the asshole drunk from her work move in. Psyche's are fragile enough right now.

I scored a "1".

My list would be:

1. Eric Bieniemy
2. Billy Napier
3. Morgan Salley
4. Alex Grinch
5. Andy Avalos

* Steve Sarkisian is my #2 if I'm convinced he is sober and will stay that way.
My 5 but in a different order.
1) Grinch
2) Bieniemy (he's warmed on me substantially)
3) Salley
3A) Napier
5) Avalos

Not totally sold on Sark, but mostly because of my memory of that damn USC press conference.

Ooof. Sark is damaged goods. It'd be like having Dad leave you and Mom for the pretty, rich, new divorcee, and Mom lets the asshole drunk from her work move in. Psyche's are fragile enough right now.
He is supposedly clean and sober and has been for a while. Enough for Saban to hire him twice along with Dan Quinn and Falcons. Hasn’t had a problem for years. He’s a proven top HC in the sport who can recruit and knows the footprint.

Would people want EB after 2011/2012 if he wasn't an alum?
I feel like 2011/12 happened like it did because we hired inexperienced alums.

I want EB in 2020 because he is the most qualified football coach I think might be on the market.

To put it another way, in 2011 I don't think another P5 program would have hired Embree to be HC. In 2020, I believe that Bieniemy would be a viable candidate at every P5 program in the country & maybe even the Plan A target at some of the blue bloods.

He is supposedly clean and sober and has been for a while. Enough for Saban to hire him twice along with Dan Quinn and Falcons. Hasn’t had a problem for years. He’s a proven top HC in the sport who can recruit and knows the footprint.
I hope that's all true, and good for him. I just don't think it's a good look right now for CU - we need to try to look somewhat strong and confident after the dry **** we just took.

I hope that's all true, and good for him. I just don't think it's a good look right now for CU - we need to try to look somewhat strong and confident after the dry **** we just took.
I think hiring Sark would show that CU is serious about winning and I think most national media people would be impressed that RG pulled him to Boulder. About as realistic home run hire as CU can get IMO.

My top:

1. Sark
2. Grinch
3. Scalley
4. some combination of Avalos/Napier/Walters

I'm just not on the EB train. @Jeric does make a good point, if he was part of a trainwreck at some other school 8 years ago I probably wouldn't care as much. But it wasn't some other school. It was here. and it was the worst I've ever seen, bar none. If we hire him I'll get on board and excited and hope I'm wrong, but man we touched the hot stove and it burned us and we're venturing near the stove again and I have PTSD.

Why are people down on Chev but advocating for Avalos —-don’t some of the same criticisms apply to both - namely the questionable networks because they don’t have a broad range of experience and are relatively young coaches?

I feel like 2011/12 happened like it did because we hired inexperienced alums.

I want EB in 2020 because he is the most qualified football coach I think might be on the market.

To put it another way, in 2011 I don't think another P5 program would have hired Embree to be HC. In 2020, I believe that Bieniemy would be a viable candidate at every P5 program in the country & maybe even the Plan A target at some of the blue bloods.
Would he be though? Or would the same criticisms come down of “he doesn’t call the plays” /“it’s all Andy Reid” OR the fact that he was embarrassing at open practices because he belittled 18-22 year old kids repeatedly. Being a poor leader of kids isn’t something that just magically appears. And Andy Reid can’t really teach him that. Sure he can teach him how to lead grown men that are making millions of dollars. Not the same as 18-22 year olds who don’t have a choice (especially in 2011 when transferring almost ALWAYS meant a year sitting out) and just have to take it?

he was like that at open practices so you know closed practices were either as bad or worse, definitely not better.

My top 5 in order are:

Alex Grinch (realistic candidate here and I would love to see what he does when he’s not coaching a defense opposite the air raid style)

Tony Eliot ( he’s not leaving, pipe dream)

Andy Avalos (how is he different from Chev? Well he didn’t fail miserably calling the plays in a big boy league. Actually he created an elite defense)

Graham Harrell (he made a Clay Helton led team look legit on his side of the ball. Think about that for a second. A Clay ****ing Helton led team.)

Ryan Walters (Yeah he’s young but he’s still proven himself a hell of a lot more than Chev as a coordinator)

Why are people down on Chev but advocating for Avalos —-don’t some of the same criticisms apply to both - namely the questionable networks because they don’t have a broad range of experience and are relatively young coaches?
Avalos has been a successful coordinator, Chev hasn’t which is probably a big part of it. Chev’s angling for the job via twitter is pretty amateurish too.

Back