What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Who will be the OC in 2024?

Willie Taggart is out there (currently RB coach for the Baltimore Ravens), and was around Boulder with Prime when he was hired. Seems like his "gulf-coast offense" also favored more of a mobile QB, but it also looked to marry pro-style running game philosophies with a spread passing attack. Nothing to suggest he's even in consideration, but just spitballing.

Some smoke on 24/7 about Matt Wells possibly coming to Boulder. That's not from Adam so I feel like I could throw it up here.

Channel 5 GIF by All Creatures Great And Small

How so?

I am having trouble figuring out which coach or player to point to as a loss which causes any negative impact on expectations for 2024.
The OL situation is a problem. Neither guy was great but without reinforcements that group is taking a step back right now, which, while hard to imagine, is terrifyingly true right now. You could say the same about our QB room getting even thinner. It's late to be getting another 2024 prep, but it's a new world out there.

Otherwise, yea, it's not freak out territory yet, but time is ticking.

The OL situation is a problem. Neither guy was great but without reinforcements that group is taking a step back right now, which, while hard to imagine, is terrifyingly true.. You could say the same about our QB room getting even thinner. It's late to be getting another 2024 prep, but it's a new world out there.
Sure. If you're worried that we won't be able to upgrade from what we had. But if that was going to be the case, our OL wasn't going to be good enough to win in 2024 anyway. When a position group was historically bad, attrition is a good thing.

The OL situation is a problem. Neither guy was great but without reinforcements that group is taking a step back right now, which, while hard to imagine, is terrifyingly true right now. You could say the same about our QB room getting even thinner. It's late to be getting another 2024 prep, but it's a new world out there.

I would say that Wells is a loss in the sense that it would be nice to have a guy who has played multiple seasons at this level around to compete and ideally be a very good backup. In the former version of college football that would be a thing that would likely happen, but this is what we get when players have a lot more power. Roster depth at most programs is taking a big hit, IMO.

Sure. If you're worried that we won't be able to upgrade from what we had. But if that was going to be the case, our OL wasn't going to be good enough to win in 2024 anyway. When a position group was historically bad, attrition is a good thing.
Some attrition is a good thing for sure. Not all attrition. I'm not sure Wells is good attrition. But I'm reserving judgment on that situation as I relax in the bliss of certain doom.

Some attrition is a good thing for sure. Not all attrition. I'm not sure Wells is good attrition. But I'm reserving judgment on that situation as I relax in the bliss of certain doom.
My belief is that Center is the most important position on a college OL. So, with the OL being that bad I'm unable to think of Wells as even an adequate starter. He's not strong enough to control the point of attack or set a pocket. He's also not shown the quickness to get to the 2nd level, pull, or make an impact in the screen game. But, yeah, he started a lot of games and was better than other options CU has had at C these past few years. Maybe he would have been adequate if he'd committed to a big offseason in the weight room.

I think Wells did a fine job as a freshman. I’m not convinced he got worse this season. I am convinced the entire line got worse and that I pin on coaching, scheme AND talent. I would have liked to see Wells stay and work under new coaching.

I think Wells did a fine job as a freshman. I’m not convinced he got worse this season. I am convinced the entire line got worse and that I pin on coaching, scheme AND talent. I would have liked to see Wells stay and work under new coaching.
That's where I'm at.

as of right now, I would be ecstatic to have ZERO Olinemen on this team. Do we need bodies? yes. do we need ANY of the current bodies? no.

My belief is that Center is the most important position on a college OL. So, with the OL being that bad I'm unable to think of Wells as even an adequate starter. He's not strong enough to control the point of attack or set a pocket. He's also not shown the quickness to get to the 2nd level, pull, or make an impact in the screen game. But, yeah, he started a lot of games and was better than other options CU has had at C these past few years. Maybe he would have been adequate if he'd committed to a big offseason in the weight room.
tl;dr

Wells is not a DAWG

That's where I'm at.

I agree and am still intrigued by Wells. The issue is whether he is in CU plans to be a starter; or he thinks there is a good chance if he stayed that he is a starter. Tough pill for him to start 2 years (I think 3 team all PAC12 as Fresh in a few mags) and move down the 2-deep. Alternatively, I wonder about his injury toll and just taking a pounding via playing as a True Frosh/Soph without much talent/coaching around him. Maybe he could use his RS and get healthy and bigger, stronger/faster and CU brings in a Grad Transfer for this season. Also, Hank Zilinkas played decent in relief, and never gets mentioned. Better guards and tackles would have made it easier for both these guys.

We all have to remember, just because a player enters the Portal, there is still a remote chance that he stays. Doubtful, but if Prime and the new OC/Oline coach see a role for Wells, he could withdraw from portal. If possible, I'd like to see him RS and then come back healthy and see what he can do then.

I over the last few years, the line has been a strange group. 2020, they seemed to have been handling business and provided Broussard with a healthy amount of yardage, as well as buying time for Noyer to do his thing. 2021, pretty much the same line, but Rod-sled led the charge…and after the aTm game, that position group sucked eggs. There were tell tale signs, like Northern Colorado abusing the tackles. 22 was a little better under DeVan, but that line was not better than the 2015-2020 lines.

The coaching this year seemed to turtle. The line was good, but flawed. It just seemed to spiral downward from one week to the next. Nothing was changed to make up for deficiencies/weaknesses. Which allowed Shedeur to get blasted at every turn

I would say that Wells is a loss in the sense that it would be nice to have a guy who has played multiple seasons at this level around to compete and ideally be a very good backup. In the former version of college football that would be a thing that would likely happen, but this is what we get when players have a lot more power. Roster depth at most programs is taking a big hit, IMO.
Impact starters/heavy rotation players on dozens of winning & trad. power teams are rushing to the portal in record numbers. Yet, there are no think pieces or coonery teevee shows featuring whiny obscure walk-ons about how all of these coaches are losing control or their ships sinking.

Back