What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Who's your favorite (Nov 8 edition)?

Who would you pick?

• Kasey Dunn (OK St OC)

• Justin Fuente (ex VA Tech HC)

• Jeff Grimes (Baylor OC)

• Alex Grinch (USC DC)

• Tom Herman (ex Texas HC)

• Bronco Mendenhall (ex Virginia HC)

• Gary Patterson (ex TCU HC)

• Mike Sanford (CU Interim HC)

• Troy Taylor (Sacramento St HC)

• Ryan Walters (Illinois DC)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
I'm leaving off the guys who are probably not realistic (Prime, Petersen, Rhule & Mullen).

Maybe replies grouping candidates by "Love", "Like", "Meh", "Hate" would be good beyond the voting.

If I have to choose from the above, Grimes.

If I could pick anybody, Blake Anderson.

Herman and grimes are my top 2

Bronco is 3

After that, it gets scary, but I guess Patterson in hopes that he feels rejuvenated? Oof

Herman 1. Mendenhall 1A. Grimes 4. Taylor 5.

Everybody else and I’m probably looking into other things to keep myself occupied next Fall.

I think everyone on the list is qualified and I could see any of them doing well at CU.

I voted Bronco because I believe he's better suited to the west and I'd expect results similar but a step up from UVA. I'm playing it safe because I think we need CU to re-establish itself as a quality program and not a career killer job.

My concern is that I also think we need gravity that pulls national attention, invigorates recruiting, and opens wallets. I'm not sure anyone on the list brings that until he wins (not seeing Mel Tucker type charisma and program hype).

I really want an offense dude, so

Herman
Dillingham is interesting but maybe green af
Grimes I like a lot
Honestly Troy Taylor intrigues me a bit, just worry about the staff he’d get

bronco would be ok, I’m just not super sold

The rest vary from wtf Sanford to solid just not what I’d prefer

I think everyone on the list is qualified and I could see any of them doing well at CU.

I voted Bronco because I believe he's better suited to the west and I'd expect results similar but a step up from UVA. I'm playing it safe because I think we need CU to re-establish itself as a quality program and not a career killer job.

My concern is that I also think we need gravity that pulls national attention, invigorates recruiting, and opens wallets. I'm not sure anyone on the list brings that until he wins (not seeing Mel Tucker type charisma and program hype).
My question for you is that if Tom Herman is truly a legitimate candidate who is actually interested in the job (not just CU being interested in him), wouldn't he be the safest hire? Presumably, if he's interested in the job, the portal issues have been resolved to at least some extent where they are no longer a hinderance, the AC salary pool is reasonable for him to believe he can assemble a quality staff, etc.

If that's actually the case, I don't know how he can't be everyone's top choice and considered the safest. Despite what people keep saying, he did not fail at Texas, he actually succeeded in just about every way, except for Texas' outdated and inflated expectations thinking they are a caliber of program that they simply no longer are.

My question for you is that if Tom Herman is truly a legitimate candidate who is actually interested in the job (not just CU being interested in him), wouldn't he be the safest hire? Presumably, if he's interested in the job, the portal issues have been resolved to at least some extent where they are no longer a hinderance, the AC salary pool is reasonable for him to believe he can assemble a quality staff, etc.

If that's actually the case, I don't know how he can't be everyone's top choice and considered the safest. Despite what people keep saying, he did not fail at Texas, he actually succeeded in just about every way, except for Texas' outdated and inflated expectations thinking they are a caliber of program that they simply no longer are.
I am not convinced that he isn't hated by TX HS coaches. UT can overcome that, but CU would have a lot of problems with players being steered in a different direction. If Herman doesn't bring TX recruiting- and might actually harm it- he's a bad choice.

Grimes or Herman would be homeruns

Walters and Mendenhall in the next group

I’d be ok with Grinch, Dunn, or Taylor, but with lots of questions

Something went wrong with the rest

I am not convinced that he isn't hated by TX HS coaches. UT can overcome that, but CU would have a lot of problems with players being steered in a different direction. If Herman doesn't bring TX recruiting- and might actually harm it- he's a bad choice.
Fair enough and if that's actually the case then I agree.

I come from a long line of Texans. I don’t know if Herman’s high school recruiting issues are true, but I can definitively say Texans are bat**** and shouldn’t be trusted

The recruiting rumors sound like typical Texan sour grapes

Tier 1:
Herman
Grimes
Bronco

Tier 2:
Walters
Taylor
Grinch
Dunn

No. Thanks for Playing:
Mora
Fuente
Patterson
Sanford
Same except with all due respect to Duff, I have Dunn in the No Thanks category - I just don’t get the appeal there aside from being a pretty good WR coach.

I come from a long line of Texans. I don’t know if Herman’s high school recruiting issues are true, but I can definitively say Texans are bat**** and shouldn’t be trusted

The recruiting rumors sound like typical Texan sour grapes
There were some stories (published I believe) about how Herman acted fairly arrogant when meeting with some of the TX HS coaches and it rubbed some of them the wrong way. I think the entire dynamic of that program within that state stinks, though, so I feel like it all needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

Same except with all due respect to Duff, I have Dunn in the No Thanks category - I just don’t get the appeal there aside from being a pretty good WR coach.
If by "pretty good" you mean "the only guy who can be mentioned with Hartline" then we pretty much agree.

1. Grimes
2. Taylor (I know, I'm kind of alone on this one)
3. Herman, I guess, but I'm not sure what the excitement is for a guy who underperformed with Texas talent. WTF is he going to do with Colorado talent?
*4 Walters
*4 Bronco

Last edited:
If by "pretty good" you mean "the only guy who can be mentioned with Hartline" then we pretty much agree.
Well we’re not considering Hartline either so…

Hartline is way younger and already an elite recruiter. Maybe I have a bias but Dunn has been a P5 assistant for over 20 years, why not a HC yet? Hartline is 35 and may be a HC before Dunn. We’re not looking for a WR coach.

We need dudes. Grab the guy who can bring top 10 talent to Boulder.

I don’t care what his name is.

Well we’re not considering Hartline either so…

Hartline is way younger and already an elite recruiter. Maybe I have a bias but Dunn has been a P5 assistant for over 20 years, why not a HC yet? Hartline is 35 and may be a HC before Dunn. We’re not looking for a WR coach.
I could actually get behind Hartline as the guy. He's like peak Tosh without the NCAA violations and better player development. Just get him an OC to run the Urban/Day offense and we'd be off to the races.

I could actually get behind Hartline as the guy. He's like peak Tosh without the NCAA violations and better player development. Just get him an OC to run the Urban/Day offense and we'd be off to the races.
I do wonder how hard it really is to recruit to tOSU right now. I mean, they’ve gone 53-5 since Hartline has been a full time coach there. He may be a great recruiter, but it’s got to be pretty easy there right now.

Back