What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Who's your favorite (Nov 8 edition)?

Who would you pick?

• Kasey Dunn (OK St OC)

• Justin Fuente (ex VA Tech HC)

• Jeff Grimes (Baylor OC)

• Alex Grinch (USC DC)

• Tom Herman (ex Texas HC)

• Bronco Mendenhall (ex Virginia HC)

• Gary Patterson (ex TCU HC)

• Mike Sanford (CU Interim HC)

• Troy Taylor (Sacramento St HC)

• Ryan Walters (Illinois DC)

Results are only viewable after voting.
You see Herman, Grimes et al. everywhere, but Bronco is only showing up on CU's radar. Why?
Actually, not really seeing anybody mentioned anywhere except for Tom Herman and ASU being mentioned yesterday. All the speculation for every open job is purely message board posters. Even the Auburn job doesn't have much other than speculation right now. This has been one of the quietest starts to the carousel in recent memory.

Actually, not really seeing anybody mentioned anywhere except for Tom Herman and ASU being mentioned yesterday. All the speculation for every open job is purely message board posters. Even the Auburn job doesn't have much other than speculation right now. This has been one of the quietest starts to the carousel in recent memory.
Some of the regulars like Pete Thamel et al. compile lists of possible candidates. That isn't gospel by any stretch, but it is instructive at some level. Literally, the only other place I have seen Bronco's name pop up was on a lengthy list of names for GT, where he was one of like, 12 names thrown out there. And yes, the message boards are the place where most of this stuff gets thrown around, but I have yet to see a message board start a "We want Bronco" thread for Auburn, GT, ASU, kNU, et al.

Bronco has not failed to lose less than 5 games a year since 2012, with one exception where he lost 4. You guys are talking yourselves into taking your cousin to prom.

Some of the regulars like Pete Thamel et al. compile lists of possible candidates. That isn't gospel by any stretch, but it is instructive at some level. Literally, the only other place I have seen Bronco's name pop up was on a lengthy list of names for GT, where he was one of like, 12 names thrown out there. And yes, the message boards are the place where most of this stuff gets thrown around, but I have yet to see a message board start a "We want Bronco" thread for Auburn, GT, ASU, kNU, et al.

Bronco has not failed to lose less than 5 games a year since 2012, with one exception where he lost 4. You guys are talking yourselves into taking your cousin to prom.
This is where I am: Mendenhall represents resignation. The AD is satisfied with meh recruiting, meh results, and meh fan engagement. Mendenhall isn’t horrible, but he’s not what Colorado needs. Colorado needs a coach who can get very good players and who can compile a staff who can coach very good players. In Colorado’s case, that means you’ll need a coach who can lock down the best from #BoxState and get the better dudes from TX, CA, AZ, UT, and NV. But those recruiting grounds are competitive. They will be even more competitive with two schools from LA playing in the B1G.

Well, Auburn is a discount blue blood that has national championship aspirations, so they are in on names like Lane Kiffin, Hugh Freeze, Dan Lanning, etc. I saw some message board speculation about Bronco and Nebraska at the beginning, but again, the amount of money that program has to throw around, they are also swimming in a different pool than CU.

@Buffnik point in his post about Campbell is that he was viewed not too long ago as a guy about to make a jump to an Ohio State caliber program despite his lack of success in recruiting, and actually fairly modest W/L record at the P5 that is very similar to Bronco's at UVA.

Campbell @ Iowa State: 3-9, 8-5, 8-5, 7-6, 9-3, 7-6, 4-6
Bronco @ UVA: 2-10, 6-7, 8-5, 9-5, 5-5, 6-6

How would CU fans feel about Campbell being poached from ISU?

Well, Auburn is a discount blue blood that has national championship aspirations, so they are in on names like Lane Kiffin, Hugh Freeze, Dan Lanning, etc. I saw some message board speculation about Bronco and Nebraska at the beginning, but again, the amount of money that program has to throw around, they are also swimming in a different pool than CU.

@Buffnik point in his post about Campbell is that he was viewed not too long ago as a guy about to make a jump to an Ohio State caliber program despite his lack of success in recruiting, and actually fairly modest W/L record at the P5 that is very similar to Bronco's at UVA.

Campbell @ Iowa State: 3-9, 8-5, 8-5, 7-6, 9-3, 7-6, 4-6
Bronco @ UVA: 2-10, 6-7, 8-5, 9-5, 5-5, 6-6

How would CU fans feel about Campbell being poached from ISU?
It is a crap shoot no matter what. But if I h ad to choose between Campbell and Bronco, I'd go Campbell. ISU is a B12 bottom feeder. A similar record there is greater than at UVA. Plus, Campbell is 13 years younger, and has never quit.

It is a crap shoot no matter what. But if I h ad to choose between Campbell and Bronco, I'd go Campbell. ISU is a B12 bottom feeder. A similar record there is greater than at UVA. Plus, Campbell is 13 years younger, and has never quit.
Lol, they are basically the same programs in their respective conferences. UVA is a traditional ACC bottom feeder just like ISU. I agree on the age thing, though.

Lol, they are basically the same programs in their respective conferences. UVA is a traditional ACC bottom feeder just like ISU. I agree on the age thing, though.
I remember UVA being ranked number 1 for four weeks in 1990. So, I guess Shawn Moore is going to go ahead and disagree with that assessment.

ISU is .450, while UVA is .499 overall, so you are way more right than wrong about them having similar records. I just think ISU is a tougher place to win.

One thing I don't like about Campbell is that his recruiting is upper Midwest with a focus on Florida for the premium state talent. I wish that was TX and that he had anything going west. But I am very confident he would adapt and adjust. Good coaches do. Dude can coach.

I remember UVA being ranked number 1 for four weeks in 1990. So, I guess Shawn Moore is going to go ahead and disagree with that assessment.

ISU is .450, while UVA is .499 overall, so you are way more right than wrong about them having similar records. I just think ISU is a tougher place to win.
You'd be hard pressed to find a P5 with less success and less access to recruiting grounds than ISU.

I remember VT kicking the dirt out of UVA that year (in fairness Moore was out by then).

and I remember T-shirts on campus with something like:

1990 UVA Football
#1 in the nation

#1 in the ACC
#1 in Virginia
#1 in Charlottesville?

Schek's cousin is hot!

Blind resume.

12 years as a FBS HC
5 at G5, 7th in progress at P5
81-55 record (46-40 at P5)
9/12 seasons bowl eligible (4-6 this year, so assuming not)
1 NY6 bowl (in Covid season of 2020)
Recruiting ranks at P5 level: 55, 52, 55, 46, 46, 59, 39
No previous P5 experience prior to current job

Would you hire this guy at CU?

I would and I'd call it a home run. But he doesn't seem to come close to the standard most CU fans are expressing.
What’s your point? Campbell went to a place where no coach has won and is winning. He has the best winning percentage at Iowas State of any HC in the last 100 years. That’s why he is so impressive. That context matters and with Bronco it’s different.

Isn’t that kind of the issue? Even though Campbell is universally respected as a coach, his program hasn’t really achieved much. I get that he likes his gig there, but Campbell is severely capping his career potential by sticking around a place that is never going to win.

Is this who CU wants to be? Cheering uproriously for decent?

What’s your point? Campbell went to a place where no coach has won and is winning. He has the best winning percentage at Iowas State of any HC in the last 100 years. That’s why he is so impressive. That context matters and with Bronco it’s different.
BYU was coming off 3 straight losing seasons when Bronco was hired. UVA was coming off 4 straight.

ISU was 3 straight before Campbell (Rhodes started out there going bowling 3/4 years then fell off the cliff).

It's much more similar than you want to acknowledge.

Isn’t that kind of the issue? Even though Campbell is universally respected as a coach, his program hasn’t really achieved much. I get that he likes his gig there, but Campbell is severely capping his career potential by sticking around a place that is never going to win.

You’re a fairly analytically driven guy (seem to be at least), what’s your take on CU’s realistic ceiling as a program in the next 3-5 years with your pick of head coach? Obviously no guaranteed changes to the university administration, so possibly stuck with RG and PDS.

The point is, people keep pointing to the supposed "mediocre" tenure at UVA as reason for BM being a lackluster candidate, but those same people would be over the moon if CU pulled Campbell right now. Their resumes suggest they are very similar, both in recruiting and in on field results.

BYU was coming off 3 straight losing seasons when Bronco was hired. UVA was coming off 4 straight.

ISU was 3 straight before Campbell (Rhodes started out there going bowling 3/4 years then fell off the cliff).

It's much more similar than you want to acknowledge.
No it’s not at all. Campbell is the first coach to win more than half his games since Earl Bruce in the 70’s. LaVell Edwards won way more than Bronco and only retired a couple years before Bronco took over. Al Groh and George Welsh both won more than Bronco at UVA.

BYU and UVA were places other coaches had won recently, Iowa State was not which is why despite a mediocre record overall the context of Campbell’s production is a whole different level.

The point is, people keep pointing to the supposed "mediocre" tenure at UVA as reason for BM being a lackluster candidate, but those same people would be over the moon if CU pulled Campbell right now. Their resumes suggest they are very similar, both in recruiting and in on field results.
Resumes are similar, but upside is higher with Campbell IMO. I’d be interested in seeing what he could do at a school that’s more desirable conference/location-wise.

You’re a fairly analytically driven guy (seem to be at least), what’s your take on CU’s realistic ceiling as a program in the next 3-5 years with your pick of head coach? Obviously no guaranteed changes to the university administration, so possibly stuck with RG and PDS.
With Tom Herman? Ceiling is 9-11 wins. Regularly playing for and winning some P10 championships.
With Jeff Grimes? Ceiling is 8-10 wins. Regularly playing for and winning some P10 championships.

Biggest difference: recruiting Texas at a high level is the wheelhouse of both of these coaches. This is precisely why I believe these coaches match what Colorado needs to be successful.

If 36-38 isn't mediocre, I wonder if we speak the same language.

I don't think it unreasonable to think a 5 loss season is the ceiling you'll get riding the Bronco since that is what he has done like clockwork every season since 2011, excepting the one outlier to the upside, where he overachieved by losing just four.

C'mon cuz, the prom will be fun!

With Tom Herman? Ceiling is 9-11 wins. Regularly playing for and winning some P10 championships.
With Jeff Grimes? Ceiling is 8-10 wins. Regularly playing for and winning some P10 championships.

Biggest difference: recruiting Texas at a high level is the wheelhouse of both of these coaches. This is precisely why I believe these coaches match what Colorado needs to be successful.
Appreciate the response and rationale. I would be surprised for either of those guys to regularly play for and/or win at that level in the next 3-5 years, but could certainly be wrong.

Appreciate the response and rationale. I would be surprised for either of those guys to regularly play for and/or win at that level in the next 3-5 years, but could certainly be wrong.
Both are excellent recruiters. You can change your fortune very quickly with recruiting and doing well in the transfer portal.

Blind resume.

12 years as a FBS HC
5 at G5, 7th in progress at P5
81-55 record (46-40 at P5)
9/12 seasons bowl eligible (4-6 this year, so assuming not)
1 NY6 bowl (in Covid season of 2020)
Recruiting ranks at P5 level: 55, 52, 55, 46, 46, 59, 39
No previous P5 experience prior to current job

Would you hire this guy at CU?

I would and I'd call it a home run. But he doesn't seem to come close to the standard most CU fans are expressing.

I honestly didn't look, but is this Matt Campbell? He was a hot name a couple years ago but no so much now. Kind of like Fickell was a hot commodity a year ago and now you don't hear much talk about him.

If it is Campbell I'd say that's a very good, solid hire but I wouldn't call it a home run.

I remember VT kicking the dirt out of UVA that year (in fairness Moore was out by then).

and I remember T-shirts on campus with something like:

1990 UVA Football
#1 in the nation

#1 in the ACC
#1 in Virginia
#1 in Charlottesville?

That's a pretty good t-shirt!

There was a special on ACCN about the 1990 ACC football and it was actually pretty interesting. Alot of the focus was obviously on the GT-UVA game and apparently someone broke into the stadium and lit a fire in the middle of the field a day or 2 before the game but they managed to get it repaired in time. UVA had what seemed like a comfortable lead in the game but ended up losing and of course the season fell apart after that. I think it was either the GT game or the next week that Moore got hurt.

Last edited:

My only concern with Herman is if the rumors are true that he was blackballed by texas hs coaches, that would undermine his main rationale.

Back