What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Your favorite all-time Buff player

I’ll add two more that I haven’t seen mentioned. Always had a soft spot for Mike Moschetti. Dude just played with a lot of heart. The other is Joel Klatt. Not so much for how he played, but because I got to spend a few minutes with him at a Big12 preseason media day, and he was generous with his time and told me some great stories.
Klatt was a great leader for the team throughout the “scandal.” He was such a polished advocate during a tough time.

My first CU game was the 86 CU-Nubs game when Soupy Campbell's reverse brought the house down. Made me an immediate Buff fan after years of growing up in the shadows of Cow **** U, especially as I was surrounded by asshole Nub fans.

Flash forward to 1987, as a smartassed freshman, with the likes of Aunese, Bieniemy, Flannigan, Alfred, Kanavis and this monster of a dude named Mickey Pruitt playing safety. Holy hell could that guy lay the lumber. Still remember the cries for O......C.......Oliver!!!!! as your halfback in the wishbone too.

And George Hemingway was a bad, bad, dude. Fullback that would absolutely break your heart by running through it first.

I was here in the late 60s, when maybe 1/3rd of the team were Colorado kids playing for their state U, in the Big 8 - when almost every game seemed like a rivalry. Representing your state was a big deal back then.

A favorite was Kirk Tracy, from Lakewood HS. A 5' 11" OG, who bulked up to 225 and was great.
The Anderson Bros, the Irwin Bros.
and several guys who tended bar or hoisted a few, at the Broken Drum.

Wasn't George H the poor soul who lost a lot of his vision, in a laundry accident? Kept him from going forward with this career.

I was here in the late 60s, when maybe 1/3rd of the team were Colorado kids playing for their state U, in the Big 8 - when almost every game seemed like a rivalry. Representing your state was a big deal back then.

A favorite was Kirk Tracy, from Lakewood HS. A 5' 11" OG, who bulked up to 225 and was great.

Wasn't George H the poor soul who lost a lot of his vision, in a laundry accident? Kept him from going forward with this career.
The Tracys are a cool family.

I have been watching the Buffs since the 50s. And it is impossible for me to pick one as my favorite. Bobby Anderson was special because he along with his brother and Hale Irwin helped build the Buffs to prominence under Eddie Crowder. No one really expected Bobby to stay home and play college football. His signing was a watershed moment at that time. Bud Magrum was special because he joined the Marine Corps and fought in Vietnam. He played on the Marine Corps football team and was recruited to play in the NFL. He decided to go to CU and get a degree instead. He was a first team all-american at CU at DE. He was tough as nails and really mean on the field.

I would probably list over 100 guys who were special in some way or gave us a special moment. John Wooten was special as he and Frank Clarke broke the color barrier at CU in 1955. They both played in the NFL, Wooten is in the College Football Hall of Fame. CU only has 9 players in their history inducted there.

Cody Hawkins. A bunch of buddies and I ironically bought a fake knock off jersey with his name on it while I was a student at CU. After wearing his jersey for 3-4 years I ended up with a soft spot for him. I always have felt like he was put in a tough decision and got more flack just because he was the coaches son.

Otherwise it has to be Phil. Would see him in the UMC at Papa Johns all the time and he was always cool to talk if I could catch him.

Joe. Romig.

5’10” 190LBS TWO-way lineman. Two time All American.

led the buffs to first conference championship in 25 years.

8-0 in conference and an orange bowl trip.

MVP of the buffs and finished 6th!!! For the Heisman trophy

Went to Oxford on the Rhodes scholar after playing, and of course moved back to Boulder to finish his PHD and start his work as an astrophysicist

Joe Romig was different. Joe Romig was THAT dude. Legend
And was THE BEST Cigar smoking Buff evah! He worked at LASP on camus and you could always spot him walking around campus with a huge stogie lodged in his mouth, well before Clint Eastwood made that look famous!

I have been watching the Buffs since the 50s. And it is impossible for me to pick one as my favorite. Bobby Anderson was special because he along with his brother and Hale Irwin helped build the Buffs to prominence under Eddie Crowder. No one really expected Bobby to stay home and play college football. His signing was a watershed moment at that time. Bud Magrum was special because he joined the Marine Corps and fought in Vietnam. He played on the Marine Corps football team and was recruited to play in the NFL. He decided to go to CU and get a degree instead. He was a first team all-american at CU at DE. He was tough as nails and really mean on the field.

I would probably list over 100 guys who were special in some way or gave us a special moment. John Wooten was special as he and Frank Clarke broke the color barrier at CU in 1955. They both played in the NFL, Wooten is in the College Football Hall of Fame. CU only has 9 players in their history inducted there.

one of the best posts I’ve read here. You must be older than @DBT which is wild.

Hale Irwin is an all time alum. 3! Time US open champion.

and bud magrum?!?!? That’s one of the best football names I’ve ever heard.

It was Barry Remington who stepped on a bottle of something nasty and it squirted into his eyes, with the result that he lost some of his vision.

There with you on the Anderson Brothers and Who could forget Hale Irwin, All Big 8 safety, NCAA golf champ and four time US Open champion!

Saw Hale play golf with Dick Anderson in Boulder. Dick was a +4 handicap and consistently out drove the PGA pro, Irwin!

Don't forget QB Kenny Johnson, who as a sophmore led CU to a #3 final ranking, after starting his career with wins over LSU in Baton Rouge and tOSU in Columbus!

Last edited:
one of the best posts I’ve read here. You must be older than @DBT which is wild.

Hale Irwin is an all time alum. 3! Time US open champion.

and bud magrum?!?!? That’s one of the best football names I’ve ever heard.
Don't forget that other US Army vet, Herb Orvis! Or USMC vet Mike Montler! Both all-time great Buffs , who each had long NFL careers.
Montler had the USMC seal tattooed on his calf, back in the day when only Marines and sailors sported tatts!

Or the one-man wrecking crew from La Veta, CO, at LB, Jeff Geiser.
Saw him in a freshman game against AFA and he hit a Zoomie so hard, they later cancelled the CU/AFA series, in part because of that.
Just destroyed the kid on clean, hard hit! The sound of that echoed around an nearly empty Folsom on a Friday afternoon.

Don't forget that other US Army vet, Herb Orvis! Or USMC vet Mike Montler! Both all-time great Buffs , who each had long NFL careers.
Montler had the USMC seal tattooed on his calf, back in the day when only Marines and sailors sported tatts!

Or the one-man wrecking crew from La Veta, CO, at LB, Jeff Geiser.
Saw him in a freshman game against AFA and he hit a Zoomie so hard, they later cancelled the CU/AFA series, in part because of that.
Just destroyed the kid on clean, hard hit! The sound of that echoed around an nearly empty Folsom on a Friday afternoon.
Please start a story time thread. Mods can make it where only you can post. I’d subscribe

Long time lurker here, figured I'd start posting. Grew up in Boulder but went to College at UWyo for Petroleum engineering, same time as Josh Allen. Anyways, growing up and going to Buffs games in the early 2000s, i got to see Klatt, McChesney, Bobby Purify, and Klopenstein, it was a blast. But my all time favorite buff is Jordan Dizon.

Amateur. 1989 team co-captain OT Billy Coleman would just piss his pants. More obvious on home game gold pants than roadie black pants.
Hmm, wonder if he was related to Schlereth? :D So many guys to pick from, I'd say Salaam and Charles Johnson for me. I looked for that interview between, I think, Fowler and Johnson but couldn't find it. It was about him growing up with basically nothing food wise and he more or less lived off of freaking ice cream for much of the time. Wish I could find it. On D, it would be Hudson or Figures for me even though I loved some of our backers, pass rushers too.

Long time lurker here, figured I'd start posting. Grew up in Boulder but went to College at UWyo for Petroleum engineering, same time as Josh Allen. Anyways, growing up and going to Buffs games in the early 2000s, i got to see Klatt, McChesney, Bobby Purify, and Klopenstein, it was a blast. But my all time favorite buff is Jordan Dizon.
Good post. Great buff

Somewhere, I have an autographed Dizon football. I always thought he was great. Was a Greeley firefighter for a year or 2.

It should be noted that Joe Romig, in addition to being a great player, was a Rhodes Scholar in Physics.

In 1966, I bought a record on The Hill, that was the #6 hit nationally - sung by Bobby Purify's father and uncle. Many years later, I loved watching him. I thought he was just about as good as Chris Brown in the nebraska game, but the coaches gave CB more shots near the goal line as the game went on.

Last edited:
It is really tough to pick just one as you get older. It would probably be Kordell Stewart for me, but how do you not mention Jeremy Bloom as a 2 sport Buff. Some of his returns were absolutely amazing.
And I really love when CU was linebacker U with Chad Brown, Biekert, McGee, Johnson and Williams. Crazy good back in the day.

It is really tough to pick just one as you get older. It would probably be Kordell Stewart for me, but how do you not mention Jeremy Bloom as a 2 sport Buff. Some of his returns were absolutely amazing.
And I really love when CU was linebacker U with Chad Brown, Biekert, McGee, Johnson and Williams. Crazy good back in the day.

I disagree, the older I get the more I like me.

4 categories - suck it!
I will very likely change these depending on season, alcohol consumption, weather, whims or peer pressure - again suck it!

Before my time - Joe Romig
Knew virtually nothing about him until the pandemic when he joined a virtual tailgate. Joe Romig is the Prime under the radar. When you start with things like; retired number, Heisman candidate, CFB HOF, Rhodes Scholar, 2xAll-American you get a good idea. Then you add 5'10'' $1.90/2 way player at Guard and LB - rocket scientist contributing to NASA's Voyager missions not to mention lifetime Coloradan and still active (last I heard) contributor at the CU Museum of Nat Sci and the Planetarium.......damn. No disrespect to Mr. White, but until I heard him speak I had no idea how amazing his biography is.

School Era late 90s - Salaam.
Magical.

For all his success, and all we later learned he was struggling with he was one of the nicest and most approachable Buff celebs. Too close to the end he was walking past the table we were sitting at in the club. He was alone and when we asked he joined us and sat for the rest of the quarter, joking and chatting and commiserating on the state of that particular game. He didn't know us, but I trust he enjoyed that time as much as we did.

Post School Era - Bloom

His returns were insane. His skiing was elite. Everyone knew he was getting done dirty by the NCAA, yet he still rocked CU gear on the slopes whenever the competition guidelines would allow. From narrating on Warren Miller movies and appearing at the watch parties to whatever aid he lent in landing Coach Prime it always makes me proud to know he is a Buff!

Non-football - Evan Battey

Chauncy, Kin, Hale Irwin, Ritzenhein, Coburn and others may have more accolades but Evan Battey is going down as an all-time Buff. Of anyone in the past 10-15 years is there anyone more likely to take up the mantle of Logan and Big Al as the local media/personality face of the Buffs (Coach Prime being unique)? Sure he has a sub-NBA professional career to pursue, and a stated interest in coaching, but his heart, story and personality are infectious and he could live a long and comfortable life on the Front Range based on those alone. The guy that could embody 'Battey SMASH' charging down the lane and immediately flip to the first person standing over an injured opponent with genuine regret and concern was such a selfless leader. My personal reason for choosing Battey though were the threes in his senior year. He had always been willing to jack up a shot, but when he came out firing as a senior you could tell he had taken one of the weakest parts of his game and worked his A$$ off on it in the off-season. Always improving and always smiling.

4 categories - suck it!
I will very likely change these depending on season, alcohol consumption, weather, whims or peer pressure - again suck it!

Before my time - Joe Romig
Knew virtually nothing about him until the pandemic when he joined a virtual tailgate. Joe Romig is the Prime under the radar. When you start with things like; retired number, Heisman candidate, CFB HOF, Rhodes Scholar, 2xAll-American you get a good idea. Then you add 5'10'' $1.90/2 way player at Guard and LB - rocket scientist contributing to NASA's Voyager missions not to mention lifetime Coloradan and still active (last I heard) contributor at the CU Museum of Nat Sci and the Planetarium.......damn. No disrespect to Mr. White, but until I heard him speak I had no idea how amazing his biography is.

School Era late 90s - Salaam.
Magical.

For all his success, and all we later learned he was struggling with he was one of the nicest and most approachable Buff celebs. Too close to the end he was walking past the table we were sitting at in the club. He was alone and when we asked he joined us and sat for the rest of the quarter, joking and chatting and commiserating on the state of that particular game. He didn't know us, but I trust he enjoyed that time as much as we did.

Post School Era - Bloom

His returns were insane. His skiing was elite. Everyone knew he was getting done dirty by the NCAA, yet he still rocked CU gear on the slopes whenever the competition guidelines would allow. From narrating on Warren Miller movies and appearing at the watch parties to whatever aid he lent in landing Coach Prime it always makes me proud to know he is a Buff!

Non-football - Evan Battey

Chauncy, Kin, Hale Irwin, Ritzenhein, Coburn and others may have more accolades but Evan Battey is going down as an all-time Buff. Of anyone in the past 10-15 years is there anyone more likely to take up the mantle of Logan and Big Al as the local media/personality face of the Buffs (Coach Prime being unique)? Sure he has a sub-NBA professional career to pursue, and a stated interest in coaching, but his heart, story and personality are infectious and he could live a long and comfortable life on the Front Range based on those alone. The guy that could embody 'Battey SMASH' charging down the lane and immediately flip to the first person standing over an injured opponent with genuine regret and concern was such a selfless leader. My personal reason for choosing Battey though were the threes in his senior year. He had always been willing to jack up a shot, but when he came out firing as a senior you could tell he had taken one of the weakest parts of his game and worked his A$$ off on it in the off-season. Always improving and always smiling.
Damn good post (y). I mean the message jackals, don't get any ideas. :D

Back