What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'09 CO TE DaVaughn Thornton (Signed to Colorado)

Re: New Recruit TE D. Thornton

Awesome, we got a wr commit from darden, big texas wr...........:smile2:

Re: New Recruit TE D. Thornton

Rivals reported his commit when it happened a couple weeks ago. Adam did an article today about Thornton just to give Buffs fans an idea of what kind of player is coming to Boulder.

And some nice comments from his coach, Ron Woolfork, who is beyond happy that he got some players at his old school.

Re: '09 CO TE DaVaughn Thornton (Committed to Colorado - 01/18/09)

I know lots of folks have doubts - truly warranted - about the zero-to-two stars signing at Boulder but I get a good feeling when I think of the upside with Simon, Bahktiari, Handler, Orms, etc... and especially Thornton. Lubick, in his prime, built a program with guys like this.

I know lots of folks have doubts - truly warranted - about the zero-to-two stars signing at Boulder but I get a good feeling when I think of the upside with Simon, Bahktiari, Handler, Orms, etc... and especially Thornton. Lubick, in his prime, built a program with guys like this.

I am not interested in having a MWC quality program. Lubick did a great job with what he had and in the league he played but his teams would have had very little luck with a Big XII schedule.

That said the University of Colorado has a history of excellent success with players that other programs overlooked. WR Mike McCoy had zero D1 offers out of HS. Klopenstein was a two-star, I am forgetting the name of the kid from Sterling who came in as a FB and left as a NFL DT. There are plenty of others as well. This team will not get where it needs to be without the 4* and 5* guys like DS, Major, Kasa, Katoa, Miller but we also need to get some guys who play up to that level after being overlooked in HS. Fortunately Hawk has a history of finding these kind of guys.:cool:

I think you missed my point. Then put it in your own words. Either way, all is good in the end.

p.s. I think Lubick pretty much held his own during the Barnett years. I remember one major a**-kicking to open the season in particular.

I thought I remember Klop being a three star...but regardless, Lubick's Rams had some great years that would have been competitive in the Big 12. I'm not saying they would have won the conference, but they definitely had some very competitive teams. Lubick was a great coach; just because you're a CU fan shouldn't mean you're too proud to give CSU credit when its due. We're better, but they were once really good too.

Don't think I understate CSU, I am an alum along with CU. In a one game match the better MWC schools can give anyone a game. The simple fact is however that schools from the top conferences like the Big XII and the SEC have much more depth and need to because they play schools that are bigger, stronger, faster on a week to week basis.

I have no problem giving Sonny his due, he won a lot of games, ended up in the top 25 more than once and did all this at a school where winning football was basically a dead issue before Earl Bruce started the process that Sonny took to it's limit.

Sonny found a number of hidden gems that the bigger conference schools passed over including some who ended up making paychecks after they graduated. To say that his teams could have competed in the Big XII however is laughable, he simply did not have enough players of the quality needed to play the eight consecutive league games and survive. This doesn't diminish what he did but lets not go past what he did.

For CU to win in the Big XII it will need both the hidden gems and the top end recruits that Sonny never had a chance to get.

In the long run I think we're saying the same thing, Mtn. You are not going to win consistently in the Big XII recruiting 2-stars. That was GB's modus and look where that got the Buffs. But, more programs than many folks like to admit have built traditions by taking players others overlooked and kickin' some top-tier a**. Utah, anyone? Or even Kansas? Oregon State? Especially nowadays when there is so much parity.

The point is, sign a few underarmour aa's and a dozen or so 3*s, then fill out your class with Speedy, Smart, a Todd Reesing or two.

Given the recent results, I'm more concerned with the performance of our top recruits (Scott and Katoa) than any of the walk-ons or after-thought guys.

Re: '09 CO TE DaVaughn Thornton (Signed LOI to Colorado)

from cubuffs.com

DaVaughn Thornton
has aspirations of being a chef.

no you dont i can promise you that

from cubuffs.com

DaVaughn Thornton has aspirations of being a chef.

Apparently you don't know what 'aspirations' means.

i know what aspirations are... i was telling him going into it would be a bad idea

from cubuffs.com

DaVaughn Thornton has aspirations of being a chef.

That's dumb. He'd be better off with aspirations of being a Bronco or a Patriot or even a dumbass Stealer. The Chefs suck... :cool:

He reminds me a lot of Kory Sperry. Good size and very athletic and a solid Basketball player too:thumbsup:

Scout is reporting that Thornton's asked CU if he can play both basketball and football after he completes first year of football only. He indicates that he may get the opportunity to play both sports.

Here's a slideshow of a recent game, Denver East vs. Montbello. I was impressed by the second photo in the gallery. Thornton (#44) can get some air!
http://www.maxpreps.com/photo/gallery.aspx?photogalleryid=0195d032-b0d2-415d-8343-583e7e849c6b

Scout is reporting that Thornton's asked CU if he can play both basketball and football after he completes first year of football only. He indicates that he may get the opportunity to play both sports.

Here's a slideshow of a recent game, Denver East vs. Montbello. I was impressed by the second photo in the gallery. Thornton (#44) can get some air!
http://www.maxpreps.com/photo/gallery.aspx?photogalleryid=0195d032-b0d2-415d-8343-583e7e849c6b
That would be sweet to see. Good luck to him. :thumbsup:

Is there any history at CU of two-sport players in Bball and football?
I can't think of any, but I rarely follow basketball, so I don't know.

Not that I can remember recently. There was a member of the basketball team that participated in Spring Ball in 06. He was a WR. But it never panned out. I forgot who it was.

Rodell "House" Guest in the early '90s. Was a power forward who then played 2 years of football - can't remember if he was TE or DE.

Edit: Just looked him up in the media guides; do a search for "Guest".
Football: outside linebacker; lettered in '91, but I'm pretty sure he played in '90 as well
https://admin.xosn.com/pdf1/133323.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=600

Basketball: played '87 - '91
http://www.cubuffs.com/pdf4/361747.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=600

I think there was one other who played both, but I'm not sure

Last edited:

Dave Logan :thumbsup:

At least I think so - that was a bit before my time....

Alfred Williams and Ron Woolfork are on the 89-90 roster on CUBuffs.com. But they are listed as PLAYER under the position box. Not sure what the deal there was.
http://www.cubuffs.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPSID=3891&SPID=257&DB_OEM_ID=600&KEY=&Q_SEASON=1989

Ron Woolfork does not strike me as a basketball player.
I mean, I guess he was tall enough, but he was a big guy in 1990.

Grossnickle is 6'3" so this photo would mean Woolfork is? 6'5" maybe?
Tall enough to play for CU?
F500656.jpg

Logan was a three sport star. Baseball, Basketball, and football. Right? :confused:

Three star in High School. But I think only two in college.

Here's a tidbit: Logan was from Parker Orms' high school.
At Wheatridge High School in Denver, Logan played three sports at the varsity level

Didn't know that!

CU Hall of Fame article says he played football and basketball for the Buffs.
http://www.cubuffs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=1601835&DB_OEM_ID=600

He was also offered opportunities in baseball.
...Cincinnati Reds drafted Logan in the 19th round of the June Major League Baseball draft
And ...
Logan was drafted in the ninth round of the ’76 NBA draft by the Kansas City Kings, and in the third round of the ’76 NFL draft by the Cleveland Browns. He was drafted in three separate professional sports leagues, which is a feat that only he and hall-of-fame baseball player Dave Winfield have ever accomplished.

I would like to declare here and now that Grossnickle is going to become a buffs legend. I dunno what it is, but when i look at that picture I see it.

I'm serious.

Back