What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'14 CO ATH Kalen Ballage (Signed to Arizona State)

I've been saving this one. But it is time. Unicorn Buffalo time. Be a buff Mr. Ballage!

unicornbuffalo.jpg

CU is the best opportunity for little bro to grow up and watch his older bro turn into a 1st rounder while leading his hometown team's resurgence.

I was actually really torn on the decision to leave the state or not for college. Grew up in Woodland Park (just around Pikes Peak from COS) and had that "get me out of here, I need to see some stuff" bug. In the end I went to Boulder and it was the best decision I've made.

One of the biggest things driving me toward leaving the state was simply to explore new things and man did I get that in Boulder. The difference between my little town and Boulder was night and day. Boulder is west coast town in its soul but with a mountain ethic. Different and distinct from anything else around. Denver was also close enough that I had access to all the things a big city can provide. Nightlife, concerts, sporting events, people, it was all right around the corner. And for me being close to it was way better than being in it all the time.

The other thing was just to put some distance between my parents and me. Great people, don't get me wrong, but you just want to get away a bit. And I was honestly surprised at how great the 1.5 hour drive did that. There were no unannouced visits or anything but the great thing was they were close enough that I could get home if I needed to and they could come up for various events etc.

All in all I was really happy with the decision because it gave me all the independance I wanted but it gave me options. I could get home if I wanted. They could come up if they wanted. I could go experience a world class city when I wanted. But I also kept the greatest things about Colorado. Great people, unreal scenery, Bronco games/coverage, skiing, hiking, access to Snow's mom etc.

Once the decision was made I absolutely fell in love with CU. I've moved around a lot since college, different cities and different countries but I return to CO with a sense of home every time and I take people to CU for games and functions with a real sense of pride. It never dissappoints.

Last edited:
this is what is possible for a great back at Colorado:

[video=youtube_share;MoTHce2GkeU]http://youtu.be/MoTHce2GkeU[/video]

No doubt Coach Mac sold him hard on all of that too. If I'm not mistaken, UCLA had been criticized recently for the state of their facilities (correct me if not). We might have an advantage as far as facilities go.

Their facilities are not good.

LA has the weather and the bright lights. They have massive financial woes (as does Cal) right now and and they will struggle to keep top assistants and even their head coach when it becomes big payday time. I think Mora is NFL bound, or he would have taken the Texas job already. There will be no short term stability in Westwood.

At every program, there are stars and there are legends. A home-grown guy, leading the Buffs out of the darkness in front of his friends, family, and community, isn't just a star. he's a legend.

I hope I get to see Kalen play for the Buffs. That would be a special situation, something that can't be felt at UCLA or Arizona State.

The comparisons to Chauncey are spot-on. Dude could have gone anywhere. He came here. He'll never pay for a drink in Colorado again.

I was actually really torn on the decision to leave the state or not for college. Grew up in Woodland Park (just around Pikes Peak from COS) and had that "get me out of here, I need to see some stuff" bug. In the end I went to Boulder and it was the best decision I've made.

One of the biggest things driving me toward leaving the state was simply to explore new things and man did I get that in Boulder. The difference between my little town and Boulder was night and day. Boulder is west coast town in its soul but with a mountain ethic. Different and distinct from anything else around. Denver was also close enough that I had access to all the things a big city can provide. Nightlife, concerts, sporting events, people, it was all right around the corner. And for me being close to it was way better than being in it all the time.

The other thing was just to put some distance between my parents and me. Great people, don't get me wrong, but you just want to get away a bit. And I was honestly surprised at how great the 1.5 hour drive did that. There were no unannouced visits or anything but the great thing was they were close enough that I could get home if I needed to and they could come up for various events etc.

All in all I was really happy with the decision because it gave me all the independance I wanted but it gave me options. I could get home if I wanted. They could come up if they wanted. I could go experience a world class city when I wanted. But I also kept the greatest things about Colorado. Great people, unreal scenery, Bronco games/coverage, skiing, hiking, access to Snow's mom etc.

Once the decision was made I absolutely fell in love with CU. I've moved around a lot since college, different cities and different countries but I return to CO with a sense of home every time and I take people to CU for games and functions with a real sense of pride. It never dissappoints.

Didn't know you were from WP. Place is changing fast but still is a great place to raise my kids.

The bolded part is I think a huge deal. For Kalen Boulder is far enough away that he can have his space but close enough to visit on a tank of gas round trip. It's far enough to be independent but close enough that he can come back and have a face to face conversation with dad when that time comes that he really needs the advice.

If you had ask me at 18 I would have had no clue how important my dad would be to me a couple of years later as I was trying to figure out how to be an adult.

Folsom Field cures cancer and makes the blind to see. Rainbows originate from Folsom Field. Keith Richards is only still alive because he played concerts in Folsom Field.

Last edited:
Would love to see Kalen starting at running back behind the rebuilt line in 2014. There are some teams on the schedule he could put up some monster yards against.

I'll say this, reading what you guys said about Mac's talk today and having heard him speak in the past, kids that play for him at this university are and will be truly blessed. Unlike how I perceive some other coaches in the conference, this guy is the real deal. He does not sell snake oil.

Last edited:
Idk how you could not want to play for Mike MacIntyre. I could literally listen to him break down film for hours. He knows what he is talking about and you could tell in his demeanor today that he was starting to get the pieces he needs here to turn it around. Ballage would bea huge step forward on that path.

CU is definitely heading in the right direction. Come on Kalen, help us accelerate the pace. You won't regret it. CU is a special place and you could be a special part of this great institution.
JCQJMOMNAQMKYAP.20100806172335.jpg

I know that lots of people say this, but Boulder is a truly special place. I grew up not too far from Falcon in Monument. I also applied to a few out of state schools, but ended up deciding to go to CU. Living in Boulder is awesome; my wife and I moved away for my work and we regret it.

Here is the thing about Kalen. He is the real deal. You watch his videos and you drool over the talent. You notice the class and how he conducts himself. There is never any doubt that he will be a star wherever he goes. You want him here because while having a difference maker is sweet, the hometown guy just flat out raises it to a whole different level. Once he is done here, he is a hero for life to local CU fans.

On the flip side....to watch him go to a P12 south competitor, to have to watch him play for someone else for three or four years is salt in the wound. The ex girlfreind you cared about running around with the guy you hate. I can't root against him......

I see CU coming back. New facilities in a year and a half. Better OL. Good QB with great leadership with more experience and fire. These are good times that have been missing for years and Kalen can be the face of the resurgence of a once again great CU team.

On top of that it is easy to see that Mora will be going to the first NFL job. The ASU coach is looking to move up. CU has Mac for some time. Solidity is something that will mean Kalen is 'the coach's guy' the whole time he is in college. That will help bring continuity and yards and the best chance at the NFL.

BTW, I lived in California for ten years. Northern Cal is better than the crush of southern Cal, and while I joined the USAF to get out of Colorado and see the world, I couldn't wait to get home. And no place in Cali ever has given me the feeling of Boulder on Gameday, that feeling that you get driving down the hill on 36 and seeing one of the most special places on this planet.

Here is the thing about Kalen. He is the real deal. You watch his videos and you drool over the talent. You notice the class and how he conducts himself. There is never any doubt that he will be a star wherever he goes. You want him here because while having a difference maker is sweet, the hometown guy just flat out raises it to a whole different level. Once he is done here, he is a hero for life to local CU fans.

On the flip side....to watch him go to a P12 south competitor, to have to watch him play for someone else for three or four years is salt in the wound. The ex girlfreind you cared about running around with the guy you hate. I can't root against him......

I see CU coming back. New facilities in a year and a half. Better OL. Good QB with great leadership with more experience and fire. These are good times that have been missing for years and Kalen can be the face of the resurgence of a once again great CU team.

On top of that it is easy to see that Mora will be going to the first NFL job. The ASU coach is looking to move up. CU has Mac for some time. Solidity is something that will mean Kalen is 'the coach's guy' the whole time he is in college. That will help bring continuity and yards and the best chance at the NFL.

You don't sign your son if you're not staying for a while. Usually I tell parents and prospects who ask me that they should be wary about recruiting to a coach. Average tenure of college football coaches is about 3.5 years. The odds are that whomever you commit to won't be the coach your whole time at the school. In general, if the coach does well he'll leave for a bigger payday and if he doesn't do well he'll get fired.

Between the contract that CU gave MacIntyre and his son signing with him today (in large part based on Jay & mom loving the state), it's a clear message that Coach Mac will not be leaving on this 4-year timeline.

ASU:

Arizona State hasn't had a player selected in the first round of the NFL draft in a decade.

We had 2 in the first round in the 2011 draft alone. Sorry Arizona State, you're done.

UCLA:

Jim Mora will jump at the first NFL job offered to him, so he won't be able to help you get to the NFL. You'll have to deal with coaching transitions. New coach likely means new system. It also likely means he'll be recruiting "his guys" which isn't you.

Coach Mac is here to turn this around. He can turn it around.

If you've ever had dreams of playing in the league, CU is your school.

It just makes sense:
Chris-Farley-Tommy-Boy.jpg

Back