What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'15 CO ATH Andrew Wingard (Verbal to Wyoming)

Plus, he didn't play d line, so there isn't a position for him in our new 6-1-5 defense... Good luck at Wyoming!

Plus, he didn't play d line, so there isn't a position for him in our new 6-1-5 defense... Good luck at Wyoming!
Double Eagle Bear!!!

If we can manage to get 12 guys on the defensive side of the field, I think we'll see better results next year. :slayer:

So this kid wins Gatorade Player of the year in Colorado and CU doesn't give him an offer... Very questionable move when you're trying to "close the borders". Just and FYI - Christian McCaffrey won that award the past two years.

BTW, none of his coaches played for the Pokes.

Thanks Mr Wingard. Hope your son does well in Laramie

He started at safety as a true freshman this year and finished with 122 tackles. This was the 11th most tackles in the country, 3rd most amongst DB's, and by far the most amongst freshman.

Obviously we weren't the only ones who missed here but we're taking about a recruit whose 20 minutes from Boulder and put up monster stats while being named the player of the year in Colorado. It doesn't seem like the choice not to offer him was a hindsight is 20/20 type of situation.

He started at safety as a true freshman this year and finished with 122 tackles. This was the 11th most tackles in the country, 3rd most amongst DB's, and by far the most amongst freshman.

Obviously we weren't the only ones who missed here but we're taking about a recruit whose 20 minutes from Boulder and put up monster stats while being named the player of the year in Colorado. It doesn't seem like the choice not to offer him was a hindsight is 20/20 type of situation.

Just what we need, another MWC level star.

Great that he had a monster season for them. Do you realize why he had so many tackles? Wyoming was a terrible team with little to nothing up front, he was catching a lot of misses. That doesn't make him a PAC12 level starter.

I hope he has a great career at Wyoming but CU can't afford to take flyers on every Colorado athlete who wins some HS awards.

Did you see his offer list. It wasn't just CU that passed on him out of HS. There are reasons for that.

Just what we need, another MWC level star.

Great that he had a monster season for them. Do you realize why he had so many tackles? Wyoming was a terrible team with little to nothing up front, he was catching a lot of misses. That doesn't make him a PAC12 level starter.

I hope he has a great career at Wyoming but CU can't afford to take flyers on every Colorado athlete who wins some HS awards.

Did you see his offer list. It wasn't just CU that passed on him out of HS. There are reasons for that.
You do realize that the G5 level is littered with kids that should be playing at a P5 program, right? The problem with Wingard was that he was mainly a RB in high school (behind McCaffrey, one of the best I've seen in person in CO), but didn't project as that in college. His time as a DB was limited his Senior year due to his offensive and returner duties (which he was an absolute monster at). He has the size, speed, lateral quickness and mentality to play at the Pac 12 level. CU missed the boat on this one.

You do realize that the G5 level is littered with kids that should be playing at a P5 program, right? The problem with Wingard was that he was mainly a RB in high school (behind McCaffrey, one of the best I've seen in person in CO), but didn't project as that in college. His time as a DB was limited his Senior year due to his offensive and returner duties (which he was an absolute monster at). He has the size, speed, lateral quickness and mentality to play at the Pac 12 level. CU missed the boat on this one.

I do realize that.

CSU- Pueblo which is D2 has multiple players in the NFL. There are excellent players from FCS programs as well as G5.

None of this means that CU should give a scholly to every Colorado kid who is a pretty good athlete and gets some awards. I hope he turns out to be a great player for them. Still doesn't change the fact that CU was probably right not going after him.

And there are plenty of top flight kids in G5 conferences who are outstanding at that level but who would get eaten alive in a P5 conference. The fact that he is doing well at Wyo doesn't mean that he would be a good fit in Boulder. He very well could be but you can't fill your class with guys with an outside chance.

I do realize that.

CSU- Pueblo which is D2 has multiple players in the NFL. There are excellent players from FCS programs as well as G5.

None of this means that CU should give a scholly to every Colorado kid who is a pretty good athlete and gets some awards. I hope he turns out to be a great player for them. Still doesn't change the fact that CU was probably right not going after him.

And there are plenty of top flight kids in G5 conferences who are outstanding at that level but who would get eaten alive in a P5 conference. The fact that he is doing well at Wyo doesn't mean that he would be a good fit in Boulder. He very well could be but you can't fill your class with guys with an outside chance.
That's arguably what most of CU's recruiting classes have been filled with the past 3-5 years.

No amount of "shoulda" "coulda" "woulda" is going to back in time and put this kid on our roster. It is what it is and we can wish him well up at Wyoming.

HCMM personally recruited this kid and decided to pass. That may have been a mistake. Won't be their first one. A bunch of kids passed on our Starting safety (even MWC teams) for the same reason, and he'll be a team captain before he's done.

With that said, this kid may have never gotten a single start here in 4 years. It's not like we are hurting at Safety right now.

Too bad we didn't have a couple more spots available in '15. Glad it worked out for Andrew.

Every time I think of Craig Bohl, my thoughts immediately turn to 62-36. Bohl was the architect of the fuskers defense that day.

McCaffrey (x2) - Stanford
Austin Hinder - Cal
Jon Major - CU
Ryan Miller - CU
Lamarr Houston - Texas
Jeff Byers - USC
Lendale White - USC
Marcus Houston - CU/CSU
Bo Scaife - Texas

All of these guys were winners of the Colorado Gatorade POY. I'm just saying that this award goes to guys who can play at the big time level. I think CU could have used this kid.
Look who was right, before they got the boot and had to come back in a more polite form.

Still, these things happen. Who was it we took instead of him?

Look who was right, before they got the boot and had to come back in a more polite form.

Still, these things happen. Who was it we took instead of him?

Isaiah Oliver or Afolabi Laguda. Nick Fisher committed in September, those 2 DBs in December.

Came across this article on Bleacher Report the other day. Wingard starting to get some national pub as, one of their "Best you've never heard of", going into his Junior year. Kid's been a stud for the Pokes, but broke his hand in the Spring.

1. Wyoming found its way out of the college football wilderness in 2016. In his third season in Laramie, coach Craig Bohl turned the Cowboys around after going 6-18 in his first two years, finishing 8-6 with a trip to the Mountain West championship game.
    Safety Andrew Wingard was a key cog. He led Wyoming with 131 tackles and earned first-team All-Mountain West honors. Wingard is a constant presence for the Cowboy defense, having started 25 of 26 games in his collegiate career.
    He'll be a rock for Wyoming's defense once again this fall. Expect big tackle numbers, hard hitting and excellent tackling as he tries to push the Cowboys to a Mountain West championship.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...um=referral&utm_campaign=programming-national

Looking back, Wingard lost out due to numbers. We took Fisher, Laguda and Oliver. That's 8 years of starters right there. Coach wanted Wingard also.
Coach is ridiculously good at DB talent evaluation.

Laguda had offers from Utah State, Georgia State and North Dakota.
Fisher had offers from Wyoming, NMSU, NAU, Sac State.
Oliver had an offer from UNM.
Wingard had an offer from North Dakota, but Colorado seriously looked at him.

Looking back, Wingard lost out due to numbers. We took Fisher, Laguda and Oliver. That's 8 years of starters right there. Coach wanted Wingard also.
Coach is ridiculously good at DB talent evaluation.

Laguda had offers from Utah State, Georgia State and North Dakota.
Fisher had offers from Wyoming, NMSU, NAU, Sac State.
Oliver had an offer from UNM.
Wingard had an offer from North Dakota, but Colorado seriously looked at him.

Evaluation and development.

If a kid is a DB prospect and has dreams of playing in the NFL he would be crazy not to look at taking a CU offer. The track record speaks for itself.

When M2 was in the NFL he spent time as a DB coach, he knows what it takes and how to get there.

Came across this article on Bleacher Report the other day. Wingard starting to get some national pub as, one of their "Best you've never heard of", going into his Junior year. Kid's been a stud for the Pokes, but broke his hand in the Spring.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...um=referral&utm_campaign=programming-national
New to the site, first post. I guess I can't post links til my 5th post, but a list also came out from Campus Insiders which names Wingard the top returning safety in the nation among G5 and Independents (copy and paste the following would work, I guess):

https://campusinsiders.com/news/top...ive-independent-safeties-for-2017-03-23-2017/

Edit: Never mind, it appears to have worked as a link.

Good for him.

Gentry and now Wingard. Two in-state kids who would have preferred to wear the Black and Gold, but ended up in mustard and brown, and weren't seriously pursued. There are plenty of other similar examples. I recall MacIntyre's big show of having staff visit most Colorado high schools, but did they come to the same wrong conclusion that so many ABers have?

It's an in exact science, sure. All things equal, Colorado kids on the field help fill the seats and create interest that matters. The fact that some here don't give two ****s where a kid is from doesn't change that.

Good for him.

Gentry and now Wingard. Two in-state kids who would have preferred to wear the Black and Gold, but ended up in mustard and brown, and weren't seriously pursued. There are plenty of other similar examples. I recall MacIntyre's big show of having staff visit most Colorado high schools, but did they come to the same wrong conclusion that so many ABers have?

It's an in exact science, sure. All things equal, Colorado kids on the field help fill the seats and create interest that matters. The fact that some here don't give two ****s where a kid is from doesn't change that.

The in-store recruiting is fine. Wins bring the fans, and more Colorado kids are not going to bring more wins.

Back