What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'17 CO QB Dylan McCaffrey (Verbal to Michigan)

fify

No question he is a gifted athlete, normally I'd take a guy with his talents in a minute.

For a team trying to figure out how to win again the last thing they need is a me first attitude. There is no guarantee he would beat out Lewis and that family doesn't take well to not getting things their way.

Christian was a good enough college player that he was featured at Stanford but the rest of the family acts in ways that you have to wonder if they are worth it.
He would beat out Lewis. If Lewis were that good he would have been declared starter already. We know what was in the cupboard.

This is more of a question of what Dylan wants.

Last edited:
You guys remember we convinced Sam Noyer to come back to enter the QB competition. He was going to be 3rd or 4th string at CU last year. The staff would take him no question. Don't see him going somewhere without a clear path to starter though.

It’s pretty clear - to me anyway - that we will have to rely on transfers and jucos to bolster the talent level for the next couple years at a minimum. Our high school recruiting is mediocre at best. With that in mind, why wouldn’t we go after this kid? We need to upgrade the talent level and this is a kid who has local ties and might be willing to come here. It’s worth exploring at the very least. If he goes elsewhere, so be it. I think you have to try, though.

He would beat out Lewis. If Lewis were that good he would been declared starter already. We know what was in the cupboard.

This is more of a question of what Dylan wants.
I'm not so sure.

He was buried at Michigan and recruited over, and while they have some talent they aren't exactly QBU. And it would be a major shock if Lewis isn't the starter when we finally get back on the field.

Dylan wasn't exactly dynamic at Valor, and he had his dad making sure that everything was set up for him.

As I said no question he is a talent, big question if he is a good QB and guys who are all about #1 tend to be more trouble than they are worth often.

He would beat out Lewis. If Lewis were that good he would been declared starter already.
tenor.gif

I'm not so sure.

He was buried at Michigan and recruited over, and while they have some talent they aren't exactly QBU. And it would be a major shock if Lewis isn't the starter when we finally get back on the field.

Dylan wasn't exactly dynamic at Valor, and he had his dad making sure that everything was set up for him.

As I said no question he is a talent, big question if he is a good QB and guys who are all about #1 tend to be more trouble than they are worth often.

Not sure where this came from that he was buried. He has been back up at Michigan the whole time, only not being #2 when he was injured.
It was looking like he would be back up again to Joe Milton another blue chip quarterback. Even though he was a back up Dylan played in 13 games, 242 yards passing, 131 yards rushing, and 3 touchdowns.

From Michigan 247
We switched Milton for McCaffrey as our projected starter, which is no small feat. While it’s worth remembering that 1) these are projections without any firsthand glimpses of practices and 2) that we refuse to use any OR language in our projections, we still assert that Milton made a strong move in fall camp. Milton had an applied offseason, one full of tutoring, technique work, film work in addition to physical training. McCaffrey hasn’t been far off, but if Michigan were preparing to play this week, we project Milton would be the favorite to get the nod.

... One element that can’t be overlooked in this quarterback battle is that there have been no padded practices, and there have been slightly fewer team-on-team drills than a typical fall camp. Quarterbacks don’t get hit in practice, of course, but having to face a charging defensive front is one area where we felt McCaffrey might have the edge over Milton — who can make every throw in the playbook and holds his own athletically.

He will have the option to go to whatever situation looks best for him, without regard to the team having a scholarship available. If he has to swallow a semester of college-costs, I'm thinking Ed can do that. If I can pay for 4 kids, he can pay for a semester for 1!
Maybe we need to remind Ed of all that mustard we bought.

With that said, I'd expect him to choose a school where the QB coach is also the OC, and entrenched and unlikely to leave very soon. It's hard to sell that our QB coach is long for Boulder for long.

That is the glass half empty view.

More optimistic view would be that our OC also recruits stud WRs for the QB to pass to.
Plus, if our QB coach leaves its likely after having success getting Dylan up to speed. Having Dylan here for a year or 2 while Brenden trains and matures I think is an ideal scenario.

Doubt it will happen.

Last edited:
Not sure where this came from that he was buried. He has been back up at Michigan the whole time, only not being #2 when he was injured.
It was looking like he would be back up again to Joe Milton another blue chip quarterback. Even though he was a back up Dylan played in 13 games, 242 yards passing, 131 yards rushing, and 3 touchdowns.

From Michigan 247
Him being 3rd string is the inside info coming from the Michigan camp.

More optimistic view would be that our OC also recruits stud WRs for the QB to pass to.
Plus, if our QB coach leaves its likely after having success getting Dylan up to speed. Having Dylan here for a year or 2 while Brenden trains and matures I think is an ideal scenario.

Doubt it will happen.
QB cares about:
1. QB coach
2. Scheme
3. OL protection

And then WR studliness. In my opinion of course.

Doubt it will happen.

I’m would make sure he knows he is more than welcome to walk-on here. We’ll give him a uniform and a locker and everything.

You guys have some serious salt built up over the McCaffreys.

When you're praying a true frosh comes in and can run the show, you shouldn't turn down an experienced upper classman blue chip QB.
You need very good reasons to turn him down and I don't see any. Maybe some of you have drama with him from HS?

Insiders I know at Michigan have all said they are surprised he is leaving and surprised he was not the starter. He was not third string. You don't play in 13 games on third string.

Last edited:
I may be mistaken but he’d be close to the highest rated qb we’ve ever had. Not to mention he’s from Colorado and his name alone brings national attention to the program. Then there’s the issue of having a very unproven and thin depth chart at the position. You’re a clown if you don’t think he’s worth taking a gamble on.
Overrated. EOS.

You guys have some serious salt built up over the McCaffreys.

When you're praying a true frosh comes in and can run the show, you shouldn't turn down an experienced upper classman blue chip QB.

Without very good reasons. Maybe some of you have drama with him from HS?

Insiders I know at Michigan have all said they are surprised he is leaving and surprised he was not the starter. He was not third string. You don't play in 13 games on third string.
He expected to be the starter at Michigan and isn’t. I don’t think he fits the system Chev will want to run here at Colorado, so he’d be more of a luxury player than anything else. But, since our staff is all good with taking luxury players, I guess we should have no qualms.

Back