What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'17 CO SG Justinian Jessup (Verbal to Boise State)

Second year in a row as Boulder County player of the year. Also made the Denver Post all state team.
the-colorado-allstate-basketball-team-for-boys-at-the-denver-post-on-picture-id518266528

Would have still been better served going to prep school, as Tad suggested. Coulda been the next Scott Wedman.

The announcer of the Puerto Rico Tipoff (being played in South Carolina) just called Boise's Jessup "one of the elite shooters in the country". I'm not familiar enough with the announcer or the player to gauge the level of hyperbole.

The announcer of the Puerto Rico Tipoff (being played in South Carolina) just called Boise's Jessup "one of the elite shooters in the country". I'm not familiar enough with the announcer or the player to gauge the level of hyperbole.
He's a hell of a shooter. Excellent basketball player.

He’s apparently not good enough to play in the PAC 12.

Ok, that was a cheap shot, sorry. There remains a few folks in this board who remain of the belief that we are somehow better off without Jessup here. He was ours, and Tad blew it. Win some, lose some, but we definitely blew this recruitment. Jessup played on the same club team as Tads son.

If we had taken Jessup, wouldn't that mean we would have had no room for McKinley Wright?

Don't bother him with the details.

It's great to see Jessup doing well but if I were in Tad's shoes I would have done the same as he did.

Jessup was a 2016 recruit, not that details are important or anything.

So who are you taking him over from that class? DeLeon Brown who is proving to be a damn good player for us and we know can play in the P12 (and has a higher ORtg than Jessup)? Lucas Siewart? A 4* big man who had a good frosh season and is showing promise this year? You can argue Bryce Peters, but he was a 4* no brainer recruit in a recruiting hotbed, you don't pass that over. The only one you can argue is Walton. And I'd take Walton. Simple fact is 7 footers are hard to find, if you find one with talent, you take them. Plus, Walton has the benefit of being a potential medical retirement if his career path goes sideways.

I get the fact that you're friends with the family but holy **** man, just because some of us (and I'll include myself) don't see him as much more than a rotational P12 player doesn't mean that there's some huge vendetta against Jessup and you.

Walton over a guy who regularly scores double digits?

Ok. We can agree to disagree. I understand the desire for bigs, but 20+ point scorers don’t come along that often, either.

I keep bringing him up because all the supposedly brilliant folks here said he was not a pac 12 caliber player. That’s obviously false. A simple admission of “he’s a better player than I gave him credit for” will go a long way. I know that’s hard.

Ok. We can agree to disagree. I understand the desire for bigs, but 20+ point scorers don’t come along that often, either.

I keep bringing him up because all the supposedly brilliant folks here said he was not a pac 12 caliber player. That’s obviously false. A simple admission of “he’s a better player than I gave him credit for” will go a long way. I know that’s hard.
fwiw, concerns about whether he can create his own shot and perform at that level against Pac-12 type competition was evident against Iowa State.

fwiw, concerns about whether he can create his own shot and perform at that level against Pac-12 type competition was evident against Iowa State.
That's 3-2 Iowa St, that lost to the Missouri by 15 - a team projected to finish 7th in that vaunted SEC B-Ball league. Here was his line from that game:

upload_2017-11-20_9-23-24.png

Those two things are not exclusive. Jessup is a better player than I expected. I also don't think he's more than a rotational guard in the P12.

BTW, fun note - using KenPom's comparable players rating - Jessup's frosh year his second most similar player was Josh Fortune's frosh year at Providence.

Jessup is doing better than I gave him credit for. Kudos to the kid for working hard to maximize his potential.

Fwiw - I was not really down on the kid in HS. When you first brought him up though, there just seemed like some question marks that couldn't get answered. For me, I wasn't sure about his athletic ability for defense. I didn't watch his game against ISU, but if Buffnik's statement about his struggling to create his own shot is true, that fits very well with concerns about defense. He can still be a great player though - there are many great college players that can shoot but struggle with defense and making their own shot.

It is disappointing if Tad really did blow the recruiting... ...I like seeing CO kids getting the opportunity to play for the Buffs if they're good enough.

And come on man...who you calling brilliant??? it's a message board, not a coach's forum; you know that. You can't take honest opinions on Jessup personally.

So who are you taking him over from that class? DeLeon Brown who is proving to be a damn good player for us and we know can play in the P12 (and has a higher ORtg than Jessup)? Lucas Siewart? A 4* big man who had a good frosh season and is showing promise this year? You can argue Bryce Peters, but he was a 4* no brainer recruit in a recruiting hotbed, you don't pass that over. The only one you can argue is Walton. And I'd take Walton. Simple fact is 7 footers are hard to find, if you find one with talent, you take them. Plus, Walton has the benefit of being a potential medical retirement if his career path goes sideways.

I get the fact that you're friends with the family but holy **** man, just because some of us (and I'll include myself) don't see him as much more than a rotational P12 player doesn't mean that there's some huge vendetta against Jessup and you.

Agreed. But...I do think you can make the argument that Jessup over Brown is okay. I haven't watched any CU this year to know if Brown has improved, but he also seems to be headed for a rotational role. That's all good and fine, but so would Jessup. A great shooter vs someone more athletic... ...In Tad I trust on these.

Brett Brady could shoot too.... But then again I recall a bunch of people here saying he should start too...

Agreed. But...I do think you can make the argument that Jessup over Brown is okay. I haven't watched any CU this year to know if Brown has improved, but he also seems to be headed for a rotational role. That's all good and fine, but so would Jessup. A great shooter vs someone more athletic... ...In Tad I trust on these.

Full disclosure - I LOVE Brown's game. I've been high on him since we started recruiting him. I think he's the guard off the bench that every good team has. Great D, glue guy, does the little things. He can also run the point in VERY limited minutes. Never complains either.

I love Brown.

I applaud the hoops braintrust for acknowledging we may have made a mistake in slow playing Jessup.

That’s all I ever wanted.

I’ll shut up now. Until I get riled up again.

Back