What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'17 FL OLB Carson Wells (Signed to COLORADO)

Has developed into a borderline NFL prospect which is awesome. He and Jalen Sami have been awesome from that class and make up for some of the attrition. CU doesn't get enough 4 stars to even be able to know what to do with that kind of talent and the ones we have taken over the years rarely have played to their star rating.

5 star, 4 star, 3 star whatever. I will take a 2 star that can play over a 5 star player.
frustrated ryan gosling GIF

Journalist do the ranking system not coaches. There are a lot of good 3 star, 2 star players in the NFL and there are also a lot of 5 star players in the NFL. The ranking system is not everything, not an exact science. NIck Saban is a good coach surrounded by good assistants. He can recruit the can't miss prospect. Players that can play and also have a high 5 star rating. The question is how many of the 5 star players are really 5 star players? How many of the 2 star players that were not properly evaluated are really 4 or 5 star players?

Wells looked good when I watched his highlights in high school. Played at a top school in high school Even played well early in spring ball. The talent was there. Like I have said many times on this forum lol. The ranking system is useless. 5 star, 4 star, 3 star whatever. I will take a 2 star that can play over a 5 star player.
I'd take a recruiting class of all 4* and 5* every year. Because the result would be a team that was in the natty mix every year.

I'd take a recruiting class of all 4* and 5* every year. Because the result would be a team that was in the natty mix every year.

Sure, I will also take can't miss prospects. But how many of the 5 star and 4 star players are really 4 or 5 star players? Because Michigan and USC are underperforming. It is not only about recruiting 4 star and 5 star players. You need good coaching and good talent evaluation.

Sure, I will also take can't miss prospects. But how many of the 5 star and 4 star players are really 4 or 5 star players? Because Michigan and USC are underperforming. It is not only about recruiting 4 star and 5 star players. You need good coaching and good talent evaluation.
Despite on field results both Michigan and USC still put way more guys into the league than we do. Your argument is deeply, deeply flawed.

Not me dude. I want 2*s only because worst case with 4* and 5* dudes we end up like USC who, despite having a ****ty coach, is still around the top of the P12 every year and Michigan, who normally wins 9-10 games, but still falls short of OSU. I much prefer flaunting the line of bowl eligibility because every so often one of these 2* types is actually decent

Too obsessed with rankings and star rating. I think coaches actually feel more proud when they find a Nate Solder or a David Bakhtiari. Not all programs can get can't miss prospects like Alabama.

Too obsessed with rankings and star rating. I think coaches actually feel more proud when they find a Nate Solder or a David Bakhtiari. Not all programs can get can't miss prospects like Alabama.
Kansas has guys playing in the NFL.

We won't be Bama but there is no excuse for not recruiting a P5 level roster, not just taking G5 guys and pointing to the few that exceed expectations.

I think coaches should get can’t miss prospects like Alabama

CU has done reasonable well recently in recruiting considering the decade long bad record. The new facilities and the 2020 record will help in recruiting. i am not obsessed about rankings or star rating. All that matters to me is can he play or not? can the coach develop the player into a major contributor?

CU has done reasonable well recently in recruiting considering the decade long bad record. The new facilities and the 2020 record will help in recruiting. i am not obsessed about rankings or star rating. All that matters to me is can he play or not? can the coach develop the player into a major contributor?
More often than not, star ratings and class rankings are a very good way to determine whether or not guys can play

More often than not, star ratings and class rankings are a very good way to determine whether or not guys can play
Talent evaluation and coaching is what determines if a guy can play or not. . You can recruit a 5 star guy that is not a good fit, gets into trouble off the field, not a good student, and not a hard worker.

I’m also old enough to remember Wells being a complete liability on the field last year. I’m glad he found success and has become a really good player, but just another example of a recruit who has to develop for 4 years before reaching potential.
To be fair he had a solid 2018 but was dealing with a leg injury last year. Didn’t take 4 years for him to develop

Ah yes, the old diamond in the rough defense. Trouble is, you find a lot more rough than diamonds. Here are some names for you:

Steven Fendry
Jason Brace
Justin Nonu
Wes Simon
Thomas Perez
Eric Lawson
Jonathan Hawkins
Bill Boyer
Quintin Borders
Ino Vitale
Jarrod Darden
Terdema Ussery
Nate Bonsu
Gus Handler
Josh Moten
Liloa Nobriga
Zach Grossnickle
Shaun Simon
J Forrest West
Will Jefferson
Jared Poplawski
Jacob Callier
Dante Sparaco
Chase Newman
Shamar Hamilton
Kevin George
Heston Paige
Chris Mulumba
Sebastian Olver

I know they are easy to forget, but these are just some of the non-4 or 5 star players that were in the same recruiting classes as Wells, Bakhtiari, and Solder.

Some of you guys have this idea that CU has been better at finding diamonds in the rough because we end up with a Rodney Stewart or Jordan Dizon or Philip Lindsay every so often, but the truth is we miss way more than we hit with that level of recruiting and our record over the last 15 years demonstrates that pretty clearly.

Last edited:
To be fair he had a solid 2018 but was dealing with a leg injury last year. Didn’t take 4 years for him to develop
He was OK in 2018, but nothing special. Basically the same stat line as this year in 3x the amount of games. In context of this conversation, it took him 4 years to truly develop and make the kind of impact that CU needs.

Back