What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'17 FL OLB Carson Wells (Signed to COLORADO)

He was OK in 2018, but nothing special. Basically the same stat line as this year in 3x the amount of games. In context of this conversation, it took him 4 years to truly develop and make the kind of impact that CU needs.
Nah man, he had a great close to the end of 2018 which is why expectations were so high going into last year and we didn’t know about his injury until late.

Just looking at the numbers man. No need to get into a huge debate about it.
What numbers? I just remember him really coming on strong those last couple of games. Either way, him being rated as a 2 star was just stupid. Good size and came up in person to CU to show his speed in a camp. Nothing has surprised me about his play

What numbers? I just remember him really coming on strong those last couple of games. Either way, him being rated as a 2 star was just stupid. Good size and came up in person to CU to show his speed in a camp. Nothing has surprised me about his play
Worse stats in 2018, outside of sacks, in 3x the amount of games as 2020. He’s been a 3 year contributor/starter which is great, and we need more recruits like him, but it took him 4 years to get to the point where he’s playing at a high level.

CB6D8F57-2CF7-442C-ABDE-67AA828B2344.jpeg

Worse stats in 2018, outside of sacks, in 3x the amount of games as 2020. He’s been a 3 year contributor/starter which is great, and we need more recruits like him, but it took him 4 years to get to the point where he’s playing at a high level.

View attachment 41970
Okay again, he played at a high level near the end of that year, it didn’t take 4 years for him to get here. He had all of his sacks in the last 5 games.

Okay again, he played at a high level near the end of that year, it didn’t take 4 years for him to get here. He had all of his sacks in the last 5 games.
I would say 2018 Carson Wells is an example of a lower rated recruit showing flashes of being able to play at this level, but he definitely needed 4 years to get to the level that he played at this year, which is hopefully the level that we get out of most players in year 2, if we’re recruiting at an appropriate level.

I would say 2018 Carson Wells is an example of a lower rated recruit showing flashes of being able to play at this level, but he definitely needed 4 years to get to the level that he played at this year, which is hopefully the level that we get out of most players in year 2, if we’re recruiting at an appropriate level.
So you think we should be getting all conference play from players in their second year? That seems a little outlandish

So you think we should be getting all conference play from players in their second year? That seems a little outlandish
Lol what?? Is that not the level of player we are trying to recruit? I understand it’s not going to be every recruit but if the expectation is that all of our recruits are going to take 4 years to get there, this program is staying in borderline bowl eligibility status

Lol what?? Is that not the level of player we are trying to recruit?
The expectation is not to have sophomore and redshirt freshman playing at an all conference level. That is very rare. There were 6 total players on the first and second all pac 12 teams in 2019 out of 42.

Never said all 5 star players are lazy or all 2 star players are hard working. Star rating is good to get fans excited and for boosters. What matters to me is can you play? or can you develop into a great player? It is about player evaluation and coaching.

Ah yes, the old diamond in the rough defense. Trouble is, you find a lot more rough than diamonds. Here are some names for you:

Steven Fendry
Jason Brace
Justin Nonu
Wes Simon
Thomas Perez
Eric Lawson
Jonathan Hawkins
Bill Boyer
Quintin Borders
Ino Vitale
Jarrod Darden
Terdema Ussery
Nate Bonsu
Gus Handler
Josh Moten
Liloa Nobriga
Zach Grossnickle
Shaun Simon
J Forrest West
Will Jefferson
Jared Poplawski
Jacob Callier
Dante Sparaco
Chase Newman
Shamar Hamilton
Kevin George
Heston Paige
Chris Mulumba
Sebastian Olver

I know they are easy to forget, but these are just some of the non-4 or 5 star players that were in the same recruiting classes as Wells, Bakhtiari, and Solder.

Some of you guys have this idea that CU has been better at finding diamonds in the rough because we end up with a Rodney Stewart or Jordan Dizon or Philip Lindsay every so often, but the truth is we miss way more than we hit with that level of recruiting and our record over the last 15 years demonstrates that pretty clearly.
Some of the players you listed had injury problems. Recruiting is not a perfect science. Players don't wok out. You are actually helping me prove my point. It is about player development(coaching) and talent evaluation/ We have had bad coaches at CU, poor talent evaluators.

Never said all 5 star players are lazy or all 2 star players are hard working. Star rating is good to get fans excited and for boosters. What matters to me is can you play? or can you develop into a great player? It is about player evaluation and coaching.
B.S.

I pay a lot less attention to star rating than I do to offers but they are usually tied together.

The idea that one staff is smarter at "finding" talent than the rest is a fantasy. These coaches are paid very well for doing a job they love, if they don't win they get fired.

There aren't many "hidden gems" out there. With digital technology and the internet it is easy for even players from small schools, losing schools, schools in weak states or leagues to get seen. Add the 7 on 7 leagues and summer camps and no there aren't many guys who get "overlooked," certainly not enough to build a program on.

Offers say that other schools coaches think a guy can play or at least develop into a player. When a guy doesn't have significant P5 offers it isn't because he hasn't been seen, it is because other P5 programs don't think he can play, and those guys are paid to make those judgements, if they aren't good at it they aren't working fairly soon.

Certainly there are exceptions, there are kids from D2 schools in the NFL, but if a kid doesn't have enough offers to pull him out of 2* status the odds are that no, he can't play, no matter how good the coaching is.

Some of the players you listed had injury problems. Recruiting is not a perfect science. Players don't wok out. You are actually helping me prove my point. It is about player development(coaching) and talent evaluation/ We have had bad coaches at CU, poor talent evaluators.
Injuries happen at every program and to players of all ratings so that’s irrelevant to this discussion.

You highlighted Solder and Bakhtiari as shining examples of talent evaluation and development but when faced with the players surrounding them in their respective recruiting classes who were non-factors at CU claim it’s because our coaches were bad evaluators.

If you’re strategy is to recruit classes full of less talented players hoping to find the next Solder or Bakhtiari, you have CU football the last 15 years. Let’s try something different for a change.

Lets hope Wells comes back. We need him at OLB next season to keep the defense improving. As far as the debate goes....I would say that CU recruiting has been pretty bad for the past decade. We are probably on par with a Boise State and that simply isn't good enough. Add to that... I don't think we have developed the 4 star players into NFL caliber talent well enough. There is a reason why we have been below .500 consistently.

https://theathletic.com/2649433/202...c-state-to-baylor/?source=user_shared_article

10. Carson Wells, Colorado, LB:The Florida native was overshadowed by tackle machine Nate Landman, but Wells managed 13.5 TFLs in 2020 and has continued to polish his game. Wells, who is described as “ox strong” by coaches, grew up on a cattle ranch and is expected to shock people on his pro day. He’s hit over 20 mph on the GPS and could be up for All-America honors in 2021.

https://theathletic.com/2649433/202...c-state-to-baylor/?source=user_shared_article

10. Carson Wells, Colorado, LB:The Florida native was overshadowed by tackle machine Nate Landman, but Wells managed 13.5 TFLs in 2020 and has continued to polish his game. Wells, who is described as “ox strong” by coaches, grew up on a cattle ranch and is expected to shock people on his pro day. He’s hit over 20 mph on the GPS and could be up for All-America honors in 2021.
He led the nation in TFL/game.

Back