What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'18 CO QB Blake Stenstrom (SIGNED to COLORADO)

I don't remember anything that said that Stenstrom was straight-line fast. The thing was good feet and loose hips since he ran a short shuttle at a Nike camp that was like what you'd expect from a good CB. He also showed that shiftiness on the field in the limited amount we got to see.

Similarly, Cody supposedly was able to beat Hansen in a straight sprint but on the field Hansen was clearly more capable of avoiding pressure, rolling pockets and read option or RPO type stuff. I think we saw the Hansen-like potential in Stenstrom.

I blame my Naivete but, could HCKD convince Stenstrom to stick around?
Entering the transfer portal is not transferring. Generally means a guy is gone, but he hasn't left yet. iirc, the Alabama CB we liked entered the portal but returned to Bama this year.

Anything is possible. Just because a guy enters the portal doesn’t mean he will automatically leave the team.

Is he working out with the team? Seems hard to let him practice if he just blew off two weeks of conditioning.

I get that it would suck to be on a 3rd coach in 3 years. The guys in his class have gotten screwed over especially bad.

But I still think it's weird when a guy was QB2 for a D1 program, the starter graduates, and he decides to not even stick around to compete in spring ball.

I have to question how much he really loved football. If that's the case, there's nothing wrong with realizing it and pursuing an opportunity to get an Ivy League sheepskin. It's definitely unusual, though.

I get that it would suck to be on a 3rd coach in 3 years. The guys in his class have gotten screwed over especially bad.

But I still think it's weird when a guy was QB2 for a D1 program, the starter graduates, and he decides to not even stick around to compete in spring ball.

I have to question how much he really loved football. If that's the case, there's nothing wrong with realizing it and pursuing an opportunity to get an Ivy League sheepskin. It's definitely unusual, though.
NFL QBs son raised within the football world. This might be the first time he ever thought about what he wanted versus what he was told to do.

Maybe he found out that he’s just not that good and wants to go somewhere he can get a respected degree and play?

He wasn't really QB2. He was QB3 and was only elevated to QB2 after injury to TL. It looks like TL has made some physical strides this off season as well and it looks like Brendon Lewis is physically ready to contribute now as well.

If he still wants to try to make in to the NFL then he needs to go somewhere he can play. QB's get drafted from the Ivy League or smaller colleges all the time. He just needs to be in a place where he has a much better chance to play. If he can also get the benefit of an Ivy League education then that's a really great opportunity for him.

Maybe he found out that he’s just not that good and wants to go somewhere he can get a respected degree and play?
People on this board and 247 really talked themselves into him being an underrecruited, diamond in the rough guy for really no reason. The narrative was that he didn’t get a fair shake at Valor because daddy McCaffrey played his kid and that his bloodlines meant he was a legit prospect. Mind you he was recruited into a QB depth chart of upper classman Montez, eventual Safety Sam Noyer, and solid but not spectacular prospect Tyler Lytle. Everything was set up for them to go after a far better QB prospect and they settled. Just one of many recruiting blunders of the MM staff to shut down QB recruiting for him.

Unless you have FIRSTHAND knowledge that you're not sharing, I don't think it's really fair to question his love of football. In fact, a transfer to a lower division could signal just the opposite. Maybe Blake loves the game a ton but could see that his skills were simply outmatched by TL and BL. Transferring to an Ivy gives him the ability to actually get on the field and play the game, and the added bonus of setting him up well for a life outside of football.

Unless you have FIRSTHAND knowledge that you're not sharing, I don't think it's really fair to question his love of football. In fact, a transfer to a lower division could signal just the opposite. Maybe Blake loves the game a ton but could see that his skills were simply outmatched by TL and BL. Transferring to an Ivy gives him the ability to actually get on the field and play the game, and the added bonus of setting him up well for a life outside of football.
It’s his opinion man

Fair enough.

To clarify, I know from playing and from being around a lot of athletes that not all of them love the sport. It's often a means to get where they want to go in life (a door opener, not a passion in and of itself). Some of the best NFL players like Terrell Owens were like that. So I don't mean it as a pejorative. It wasn't me calling out Blake, but poorly worded or explained that it makes sense to me that if football itself wasn't his driver & his goals/priorities had his education 1st, that it made sense to me that he'd pursue the Ivy transfer. It's one of the only ways it makes sense to me to make that transfer when he was in a QB competition to potentially start for a P5 program as a sophomore & he's already used his redshirt year.

Fair enough.

To clarify, I know from playing and from being around a lot of athletes that not all of them love the sport. It's often a means to get where they want to go in life (a door opener, not a passion in and of itself). Some of the best NFL players like Terrell Owens were like that. So I don't mean it as a pejorative. It wasn't me calling out Blake, but poorly worded or explained that it makes sense to me that if football itself wasn't his driver & his goals/priorities had his education 1st, that it made sense to me that he'd pursue the Ivy transfer. It's one of the only ways it makes sense to me to make that transfer when he was in a QB competition to potentially start for a P5 program as a sophomore & he's already used his redshirt year.
Thanks for the clarification. My interpretation is that he’s a smart kid and did the math. This transfer is his best opportunity to see the field and set himself for a great future.

I half expected him to go to Greeley when this leaked. Too bad he's not going to stay, but I didn't see both him and TL sticking out to compete with Brendan Lewis.

The kid is an engineering major...has a high GPA..I was Chem E at CU...freaking hard... .Cu is a good engineering school...but this kid is bright..his future is not in the NFL...time to exploit the opportunity to go to ine the best academic institutions in the world...hope he achieves his goals.
I just read his bio, bright kid. One of the biggest issues he probably had was the practice schedule interfering with his engineering class schedule. I saw something for walk-on tryouts and it said that you couldn't have any morning classes, well good luck trying to get that to work in engineering.

Back