What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'18 PF Jakub Dombek - Verbal to Colorado

Interesting, I don't see the Siewert comparison other than the fact they're both white and skinny. Siewert can stroke it and has post moves, and it looks like this guy is a rim runner with some hops. Is he the most athletic big on the team?

Either way, I think this is a worthwhile risk to take. Bulk him up and let him play above the rim.

Another thing based on his timing. He visited last week or two weeks ago, but committed after Boyle started meeting with his players (which is when attrition usually happens). So this take may be in response to a move we haven't seen yet, and I will LOVE Dombek if he comes along with a instant impact player

Interesting, I don't see the Siewert comparison other than the fact they're both white and skinny. Siewert can stroke it and has post moves, and it looks like this guy is a rim runner with some hops. Is he the most athletic big on the team?

Either way, I think this is a worthwhile risk to take. Bulk him up and let him play above the rim.

Another thing based on his timing. He visited last week or two weeks ago, but committed after Boyle started meeting with his players (which is when attrition usually happens). So this take may be in response to a move we haven't seen yet, and I will LOVE Dombek if he comes along with a instant impact player
Totally agree with the Siewert comparison being a head scratcher. Dombek seems more similar to Bey's game.

Not the typical content of videos I watch with someone from Czech Republic.
QQHWBrC.gif

this is what I could gather about him in the 2017 to 2018 season. He played for GBA Prague (I don't think there is a GBA Ostrava)

played 17.7 minutes per game over 13 games (was over 20 minutes per game his last 3 games)
7.1 points per game
48.3% on his 2 point attempts
23.1% on 3 point attempts (averages about 3 per game)
50% free throw shooter and only gets to the line about ones per game (this hilarious translates to criminal feast)
2.1 offensive boards per game
3.3 defensive boards per game (where is he playing to get these numbers? Is he out on the perimeter a lot?)
.8 assists per game
.7 blocks per game
.5 steals per game
1.5 turnovers per game
1.8 fouls per games
2.0 times he is fouled per game (either he is really on the perimeter, or they just don't call fouls in his league)

All signs point to this kid red shirting next year and playing in 2019.

Last edited:
Totally agree with the Siewert comparison being a head scratcher. Dombek seems more similar to Bey's game.

Do you think he has that level of athleticism?

(God I hate highlight videos for scouting)

He looks very young. Hard to predict but wouldn't be a surprise if he matures into a stronger guy physically putting on additional muscle and bulk naturally (and maybe growing another inch or two taller as well.) Most guys do finish by adding body mass (unless they are Ben Mills, whole other story.)

He does look like a guy who develop into a nightmare match up at the college level. A perimeter player who towers over defenders and can still take the ball to the rim.

Also like Nik's comment on the zone. Highlight tapes are not always accurate representations but he looks like a guy who could be an excellent perimeter zone defender using his length to get his hands on a lot of passes creating turnovers or disrupting spacing.

this is what I could gather about him in the 2017 to 2018 season. He played for GBA Prague (I don't think there is a GBA Ostrava)

played 17.7 minutes per game over 13 games (was over 20 minutes per game his last 3 games)
5 points per game
48.3% on his 2 point attempts
23.1% on 3 point attempts (averages about 3 per game)
50% free throw shooter and only gets to the line about ones per game (this hilarious translates to criminal feast)
2.1 offensive boards per game
3.3 defensive boards per game (where is he playing to get these numbers? Is he out on the perimeter a lot?)
.8 assists per game
.7 blocks per game
.5 steals per game
1.5 turnovers per game
1.2 fouls per games
1.5 times he is fouled per game (either he is really on the perimeter, or they just don't call fouls in his league)

All signs point to this kid red shirting next year and playing in 2019.

Is GBA Prague a U18 team?

I thought his 3 pt shot looked slow in the video. That could explain the numbers a bit. Not sure if he'll be able to improve that (or even if it's worth the effort).

Do you think he has that level of athleticism?

(God I hate highlight videos for scouting)
That level? No. Bey is on Dre's level of athleticism and that's getting to the NBA freakish outlier level. But Dombek reminds me of a lot of those guys in the 6'9 range that Oregon and Baylor always seem to have.

I thought his 3 pt shot looked slow in the video. That could explain the numbers a bit. Not sure if he'll be able to improve that (or even if it's worth the effort).
I thought he rushed his jumper a lot and ended up taking it from way too low of a release point. He's got to get it to that Siewert or Wagner release point where he'll be able to shoot over guys if a team is trying to cover with a guard on the perimeter.

I thought he rushed his jumper a lot and ended up taking it from way too low of a release point. He's got to get it to that Siewert or Wagner release point where he'll be able to shoot over guys if a team is trying to cover with a guard on the perimeter.

Yeah. I'm hesitant to put too much weight on the numbers that @tante was able to find because of the whole small sample size thing there, but I do think we can kind of push back on the perimeter narrative. Wondering if his prototype could be a Thon Maker-esque player.

Yeah. I'm hesitant to put too much weight on the numbers that @tante was able to find because of the whole small sample size thing there, but I do think we can kind of push back on the perimeter narrative. Wondering if his prototype could be a Thon Maker-esque player.

I have his other numbers too. I'll post those in the next hour or so.

Year leagueMPGPPG2 pt %3 pt %ft %ORPGDRPGTRblocksassistsstealsturnoversfouledfouls
2016-2017 GBA B11.24.159%30%60.9%.62.53.20.80.70.50.60.81.2
2016-2017 GBA7.7350%0%0%0.00.70.7.300113
2017-2018 GBA17.77.148.3%23.1%50%2.13.35.40.70.80.51.51.82.0
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

From what I can tell he played in GBA B from 2016 to 2017 for 19 games and 3 games in GBA during that same season. He scored a high of 11 points twice and took a total of 20 3 point attempts. In 2017 he moved to GBA full time, where his season will end in late April, early May.

http://www.cbf.cz/souteze/dalsi-souteze/hrac_8010_soutez_1242.html

Year leagueMPGPPG2 pt %3 pt %ft %ORPGDRPGTRblocksassistsstealsturnoversfouledfouls
2016-2017 GBA B11.24.159%30%60.9%.62.53.20.80.70.50.60.81.2
2016-2017 GBA7.7350%0%0%0.00.70.7.300113
2017-2018 GBA17.77.148.3%23.1%50%2.13.35.40.70.80.51.51.82.0
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
From what I can tell he played in GBA B from 2016 to 2017 for 19 games and 3 games in GBA during that same season. He scored a high of 11 points twice and took a total of 20 3 point attempts. In 2017 he moved to GBA full time, where his season will end in late April, early May.

http://www.cbf.cz/souteze/dalsi-souteze/hrac_8010_soutez_1242.html
At this stage we really have to look at him as a rebounder, shot blocker guy who can outrun most bigs down the court as a fast break/ energy guy. That fits a need, for sure, but it definitely looks like he's developmental in terms of being able to play 20 minutes in a game.

At this stage we really have to look at him as a rebounder, shot blocker guy who can outrun most bigs down the court as a fast break/ energy guy. That fits a need, for sure, but it definitely looks like he's developmental in terms of being able to play 20 minutes in a game.

i

I was thinking Julius Ashby or Lamar Harris. I'm going to be honest - I'm thinking of one of them, but my memory fails me. One of them was just a long, bouncy glue guy that didn't do a ton on offense but occasionally chipped in a few. I agree that this kid's shot is low, but it's not horrific....granted some of those numbers from Tante are, but still....think he can develop. Regardless, a guy that has a lot of length and will run and jump/hustle....cool.

He's a project with some upside if it pans out.

I'm with Goose. I want a PG. Give me Akinjo.

For a little more local flavor, I was thinking Louis Amundson would be a good comp.
I got the chance to see Jason Smith play a few times in HS and that's what I see in Dombek. Smith was always soft for his size but skilled enough to be effective from the high post. The release is an issue, but if Dombek can clean that up, he looks like he could bring some versatility.

I got the chance to see Jason Smith play a few times in HS and that's what I see in Dombek. Smith was always soft for his size but skilled enough to be effective from the high post. The release is an issue, but if Dombek can clean that up, he looks like he could bring some versatility.

I played against Smith in high school. Actually my very last high school game was against his Platte Valley team, in a consolation game after we blew it in the quarterfinals as the favorites. He seemed as soft as charmin in high school, for the longest time I couldn’t believe the career he made for himself. He definitely toughened up to make plenty of money though. Good for him.

I played against Smith in high school. Actually my very last high school game was against his Platte Valley team, in a consolation game after we blew it in the quarterfinals as the favorites. He seemed as soft as charmin in high school, for the longest time I couldn’t believe the career he made for himself. He definitely toughened up to make plenty of money though. Good for him.
I never understood it either. He couldn't post up 6'2" 3A players, then develops into a lottery pick. I guess you just never know.

I never understood it either. He couldn't post up 6'2" 3A players, then develops into a lottery pick. I guess you just never know.

Jason Smith and Roy Hibbert are examples that always come up to mind about how important true bigs can be. Sure, it's a guard's game that's very perimeter oriented these days, but even ungainly, seemingly uncoordinated, unathletic loafs like Smith and Hibbert can take over games at times. When Duke and CSU played in the NCAAs, Duke was clearly were the better team, but they had no answer for Smith, whatsoever. Good job to Smith and his development.

Meh. I just don't see it. And against Rec league competition, too. Another of Tad's wasted Euro scholly's?

Meh. I just don't see it. And against Rec league competition, too. Another of Tad's wasted Euro scholly's?
Read, he went to LA last year on an invite and played with NBA players. Did well. Example, Carmelo Anthony was there.

Back