What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'18 PF Jakub Dombek - Verbal to Colorado

Read, he went to LA last year on an invite and played with NBA players. Did well. Example, Carmelo Anthony was there.
I don't think you can take a single morsel from that "camp". It's not like his inbox got flooded with offers from college coaches that week. Perhaps college coaches just assumed he'd forego college and join Melo somewhere? The kid is going to be a project.

Meh. I just don't see it. And against Rec league competition, too. Another of Tad's wasted Euro scholly's?

I hear you...I'm not fully on board with the Euro strategy, although I do think Tad has the right assistant in place for it. Still, I wouldn't rule out all Euro talent just because of a few players in the past - not saying you are, but keep an open mind.

if he is 6'10"....his dunks are pretty unremarkable...looks like about an 18 inch vert...
Reach.

No, this kid isn't Blake or Dwight... ...so??? There are also many bigs that don't have huge explosion and lift - they do just fine. Their length allows them to not have great lift.

I don't think you can take a single morsel from that "camp". It's not like his inbox got flooded with offers from college coaches that week. Perhaps college coaches just assumed he'd forego college and join Melo somewhere? The kid is going to be a project.

Yes, that's the whole thing - this kid is going to be a project. I can get the lack of excitement about the kid, but I don't quite get the overall negativity. You can teach strength, quickness, speed, skill, etc. all to varying degrees. The one thing you can't teach is bone structure, and this case, length. The kid's videos have holes, and he's not an incredible athlete. He's long though and seems to like to run around. Those are two traits, especially the length, that are a good base to build on.

Dallas Walton also had unimpressive HS vids against less than stellar competition, at least what I could find. But, he had length and a good stroke. Great - take that project on. He's working out for us. I'm completely happy that Tad and crew found this kid and decided to give him a shot. Other players they've signed, I've been less excited to say the least, but we shall see on all of them. I'm actually very intrigued by this kid though.

To be clear, I'm ok with this kid given the track record of who found him. But he's still a project .

I honestly think this is how a majority of the board is on this one - and should be.
And it is a good year for a developmental big. We’ve got Siewert (junior), Walton (soph), Bey (soph), Nikolic (soph) and Battey (frosh) together in the front court the next 2 years.

If there’s an immediate need where someone could grab a lot of minutes, it’s for a 3pt shooter/ ball handler to offset the losses of King & Dom.

To be clear, I'm ok with this kid given the track record of who found him. But he's still a project .

Wasn't really directing any animosity towards you or anything. I just like this prospect/project more than a few others that have come through. I wasn't a fan of Nikolic last year, Strating, and while my concerns are getting more calm, I'm still not sold on Parquet and Kountz as our two primary signees. So I get reservations on bball recruiting, but as a project to stash on the bench until he's ready - hell yeah, I'm all in on a tall and long kid that likes to run around and jump (even if not that high).

Strating was a redshirt in 2017, did he play at all in 2018. I don’t remember seeing him, at least not any memorable playing time.

Strating was a redshirt in 2017, did he play at all in 2018. I don’t remember seeing him, at least not any memorable playing time.
He played a few minutes. There was an early game when Tad sent a message by starting him and some other guys from the end of the bench, too. From what I saw, he's a hustle guy who is limited. I thought that he was a few inches short for the type of game he has against this level of competition.

He played a few minutes. There was an early game when Tad sent a message by starting him and some other guys from the end of the bench, too. From what I saw, he's a hustle guy who is limited. I thought that he was a few inches short for the type of game he has against this level of competition.
Oh yes, I remember that game. He just didn’t do anything to follow up to deserve any conscious space in my brain. o_O:cautious::ROFLMAO::sleep:

Anyone hear about whether or not he signed.
As of a few days ago, the word was that it was the typical hassle with foreign transcripts and NCAA clearinghouse which we've been through several times. He had not been able to sign due to that, but I believe that he has cleared everything from the university side. Last year it took so long with Lazar that he couldn't even join the team during the summer tourney trip to Europe as planned.

"As I look at Jakub, I look at a guy that has the potential — and again, I emphasize potential — to play in the NBA someday. He's got that kind of upside. I can't say that for every guy that we've signed or that we've recruited. Some have better chances than others. But all the things he has to get better at, they're achievable."

Coach Boyle

"As I look at Jakub, I look at a guy that has the potential — and again, I emphasize potential — to play in the NBA someday. He's got that kind of upside. I can't say that for every guy that we've signed or that we've recruited. Some have better chances than others. But all the things he has to get better at, they're achievable."

Coach Boyle
Athleticism. Dombek’s got a lot of quick twitch going for him.

I agree, maybe not elite level athleticism but looks quick, agile for 6'10" . Tad mentions his skillset too. And does anyone know his wingspan? Ideally he can redshirt to get acclimated and get stronger and used to Pac12 level competition. Tad had high praise for his upside. And I think he said D White would be playing pro somwhere, a year before he even suited up for an official game so he probably sees something special in Jakub. If Battey is ready we are in great shape with a frontline rotation also including Siewert, Bey, Walton. As people have said if Namon returns to early form and Kin improves his 3 pt shot, we look very good in the backcourt with Brown and especially Schwartz. Hopefully either Parquet or Kountz is ready to step in an contribute some limited positive time spelling at PG. I wouldn't be surprised if Nikolic is better next year since he will have a full off season to get stronger and improve his shooting which he did't get last year...if so he is a valuable versatile piece able to play multiple positions.
Potentially we have 9-10 guys that could get decent minutes based on talent, ideally we could play pressure defense and up tempo offense if the chemistry pans out. I loved Loyolas attack the basket, dish off, finish or pass back out to attack again approach.

I love the way this guy runs and jumps. It's hard to tell from these limited highlights just how raw he actually is. I would've preferred if we got a big man via graduate transfer or JUCO (someone that can contribute immediately), but if Tad sees a high ceiling for Dombek, I'm with it. I'm guessing it'll take a couple of years for Dombek to adjust and develop, but it'll be fun watching. Welcome Jakub!!! CU Basketball on the rise.

Almost certainly gonna redshirt with getting here late on top of already needing at least a year in the weight room (190 lbs on a 6'10" body is too thin for this level of competition).

Boyle, however, noted there is one significant difference between Dombek's situation and Nikolic's from a year ago, though he declined to provide details.

"We're still waiting for some test scores to come in and get posted," Boyle said. "Last year it was an NCAA issue. This is a University of Colorado issue."

Has anything been written on this kid? He's not seemingly in the top 11 and hasn't seen a minute of time (now 1.5 years in).

There was an article in Buffzone a few months back about how he's progressing. Of course, Tad is going to be positive to the media about him, but we all knew he was going to be a project. He did get in the last few minutes of the Utah game, and he looked very skinny. He definitely needs to develop physically. He redshirted last year, so he's still a freshman. I'm just forgetting about him until he's a junior, and hopefully by then he has developed to provide something, if not fully blossomed into something great (not predicting or expecting, but his ceiling is high).

I saw him do a between the legs dunk in warmups before a game and am still not convinced I was drunk even though I hadn't had a drink that night.

If I remember correctly, the plan all along was for him to redshirt his frosh year, and then take at least one more developmental year. He also got some garbage time against San Diego.

I'm hoping his floor is to take Lucas's role next season. Pick and pop guy who can adequately defend bigs. If I had to guess, I would say that he's not physically ready for the defense part of it yet. Based on what Tad's said in the past, I think his offensive game could be much better than Lucas's.

I'm hoping his floor is to take Lucas's role next season. Pick and pop guy who can adequately defend bigs. If I had to guess, I would say that he's not physically ready for the defense part of it yet. Based on what Tad's said in the past, I think his offensive game could be much better than Lucas's.

Just from the 2.5 minutes he got at the end of the Utah game, he looked like a 6'11 2 guard out there. He's long enough that he might be able to block some shots, but he isn't guarding anyone in the post with how skinny he is right now.

Watched him in warm ups on Sunday and he looked very athletic, but also very skinny. Give him another year in the weight room and maybe contributes meaningful mins his last two years. Has good energy in bench as well.

Just from the 2.5 minutes he got at the end of the Utah game, he looked like a 6'11 2 guard out there. He's long enough that he might be able to block some shots, but he isn't guarding anyone in the post with how skinny he is right now.
Very different skill set, but we went through that with Dufault learning to defend the post and play in the front court on O after coming in with a guard background.

Back