What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'18 TX WR Jarek Broussard (SIGNED to COLORADO)

Why did Big Jim get banned?
I read a certain post of his yesterday, forgot what thread, but I'd guess that was it. I was going to reply, well, this is a good time to get banned for awhile, wasn't hard to see it was coming. I didn't say anything, though.😀

What is your guess?
Just a gut feeling here but there seemed to be a bit of friction between Lewis and the veteran receivers.
I had a sense of it during the season and it was reinforced by some of the tweets that went by during the exodus after the season.

Without proper context, the nickname’s Midnight Mel and Kardboard Karl are wildly racist
I don't see how that connects to race. I'm admittedly no expert on this, but by you characterizing as "wildly racist" I figured it would be something I could figure out on my own even if it wasn't obvious. How are either of those different from D2 Dan or Milquetoast Mike?

I don't see how that connects to race. I'm admittedly no expert on this, but by you characterizing as "wildly racist" I figured it would be something I could figure out on my own even if it wasn't obvious. How are either of those different from D2 Dan or Milquetoast Mike?

You really don’t see how calling a light skin man cardboard, and a dark skin man midnight aren’t racist?

D1A20988-D352-4AAF-B00B-D5736EDE02B0.gif

As a black man that is about the same complexion as Karl I've never once in life been called cardboard. I can see the darker Mel Tucker being called "midnight" being offensive to some who don't know the story. Seeing how HCKD coached and how HCMT left. I fully approve of both of these nicknames. Both are clowns that should no longer be mentioned here.

Here’s what never got answered for me. Everyone was really up on Midnight Mel, but the administration wouldn’t ante up to keep him. After the failed Dorrell experiment they had no problem upping the ante for Prime. Of course why wouldn’t you for Prime? But did they ever value Mel as much as it seemed or was he leaving regardless?

Here’s what never got answered for me. Everyone was really up on Midnight Mel, but the administration wouldn’t ante up to keep him. After the failed Dorrell experiment they had no problem upping the ante for Prime. Of course why wouldn’t you for Prime? But did they ever value Mel as much as it seemed or was he leaving regardless?
Todd Saliman wasn't in charge during the Mel Tucker year. Things have changed dramatically since he took over

Edit. Yak refreshed my memory.

Last edited:
Rough numbers, but Dorrell was getting $3.2 million per year. Sanders is getting $5.5 million per year. Tucker is getting $9.5 million.

CU did go up with Tucker, significantly so per reports. Rick George could not match what a B1G team was willing to pay with their TV deal pot of gold.
Tucker got $5.5m from MSU for his first contract and it was only after he won 10 games in his second year that he got the $9.5m per year contract

You really don’t see how calling a light skin man cardboard, and a dark skin man midnight aren’t racist?

View attachment 60619
I don't know what it says about me, but I didn't think "skin tone" at all in those nickname descriptions. Probably just because I'm so close to it that I wasn't able to look outside of actual context. Now that you explained it, I can see how someone unfamiliar with context might assume those were racist skin tone descriptors.

Todd Saliman wasn't in charge during the Mel Tucker year. Things have changed dramatically since he took over
He also went 5-7 with no bowl game and recruited a good for CU but not great #36 recruiting class in year one.

I don't know why we should have given him anything extra to keep him after that single year of information.

It looked like we really ****ed up by not being able to do something when he won 10 games in his second year. Since then, pretty middling results, IYAM.

Also, his Wiki bio references "Midnight" Mel when talking about his departure from CU.

"On February 12, 2020, “Midnight” Melvin resigned as Colorado's head coach to accept the same position at Michigan State."

I have a childhood friend who works for the football team, started in McIntyres final season I believe. Through the grapevine of our parents being excellent friends I had understood Mel was not a pleasant guy to work with or for and the players too had troubles with Mel’s style.

and Karl was what we thought he was distant and distracted from the football team.

He also went 5-7 with no bowl game and recruited a good for CU but not great #36 recruiting class in year one.

I don't know why we should have given him anything extra to keep him after that single year of information.

It looked like we really ****ed up by not being able to do something when he won 10 games in his second year. Since then, pretty middling results, IYAM.

Also, his Wiki bio references "Midnight" Mel when talking about his departure from CU.

"On February 12, 2020, “Midnight” Melvin resigned as Colorado's head coach to accept the same position at Michigan State."
Hindsight and everything, but at the time he was the closest thing to big boy football we thought CU was ever going to get back to. Best recruiter we had at CU in a long time, knew the talent that was needed, been around elite programs and won Nattys, and knew the power of marketing/promoting the program, etc. I think he would have made CU respectable program with the same admin support that Prime is receiving, but I think his ceiling as a HC is evident.

I don't know what it says about me, but I didn't think "skin tone" at all in those nickname descriptions. Probably just because I'm so close to it that I wasn't able to look outside of actual context. Now that you explained it, I can see how someone unfamiliar with context might assume those were racist skin tone descriptors.
I think that a person would have to be looking for an excuse to call those racist.

The Midnight name IIRC came about after Mel had publicly stated that he wasn't interested in leaving Colorado then it comes out late at night that he is gone, thus the midnight moniker. Cardboard is an easy one. Every one of us has seen cardboard cut outs of famous people. KD was noted for being expressionless and emotionless, like a cardboard cut out.
StandOut_Player_DarkBlue_Basement_Room_Template
boy_bedroom_8_12_standout
QCXNP5DLLJEKVMOOBBZZPBTFAA.jpg

Was it racist when we called Butch Jones "Foodcart" or the names given to various former Nebraska or Arizona coaches?

Hindsight and everything, but at the time he was the closest thing to big boy football we thought CU was ever going to get back to. Best recruiter we had at CU in a long time, knew the talent that was needed, been around elite programs and won Nattys, and knew the power of marketing/promoting the program, etc. I think he would have made CU respectable program with the same admin support that Prime is receiving, but I think his ceiling as a HC is evident.
I think the sample size is still too small. But I also question the ceiling at MSU. Hard to be the #2 program in a state and compete for a national championship. It's why Nick Saban left and chose LSU where there's no in-state competition and much better recruiting grounds.

I think that a person would have to be looking for an excuse to call those racist.

The Midnight name IIRC came about after Mel had publicly stated that he wasn't interested in leaving Colorado then it comes out late at night that he is gone, thus the midnight moniker. Cardboard is an easy one. Every one of us has seen cardboard cut outs of famous people. KD was noted for being expressionless and emotionless, like a cardboard cut out.
StandOut_Player_DarkBlue_Basement_Room_Template
boy_bedroom_8_12_standout
QCXNP5DLLJEKVMOOBBZZPBTFAA.jpg

Was it racist when we called Butch Jones "Foodcart" or the names given to various former Nebraska or Arizona coaches?
Dude everyone knows what those nicknames mean - Flouder is just trying to be a prick because that’s the persona he’s created for himself.

I think the sample size is still too small. But I also question the ceiling at MSU. Hard to be the #2 program in a state and compete for a national championship. It's why Nick Saban left and chose LSU where there's no in-state competition and much better recruiting grounds.
They are unlikely to ever beat Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State in a given season, but I could see them going 1-2 or 2-1 against those programs in a given season and winning 10-11 games as their absolute ceiling.

In the new, divisionless B1G that adds SC and UCLA, though, maybe that ceiling is lowered to 9-10 wins?

Back