What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'20 TNFR SDE Antonio Alfano (SIGNED and ENROLLED with COLORADO)

Hope it pissed him off like it did us. This young man could help change some things. Please be a Buff. :D

I'm excited that Alfano is here meeting with the academic folks and likes the coaches. This has to be a good move for him. It is not just all about football-- this kid carries with him the weight of being the #1 recruit in the nation with all the expectations and pressures that come with it.

I do hope Saban and Tucker's relationship had something to do with it. Perhaps his transition to Bama was not an easy one for a bunch of reasons. I don't think Saban would have made the "quit the team" comments, if he did not think Alfano has the talent. It may have come down to the fact that the staff did not see him breaking into the 2-deep for a couple seasons and Alfano did not have that sort of patience given the weight of expectations. Of course, Saban would have wanted him to be patient and stay. I do believe the Saban is curt, sometimes harsh, very competitive, but I do not think that he is a complete douche bag. I think he generally does care about his players, so once the decision was made why not direct him to MT and CU out of conference, someone he knows coaches with the right values + toughness, and he will have a chance to play soon. The weight of expectations at CU will be minimal compared to sitting at Bama, while your peers are playing at other SEC or ACC schools, which do not have Bama's depth.

It will be good news if he lands here.

I'm excited that Alfano is here meeting with the academic folks and likes the coaches. This has to be a good move for him. It is not just all about football-- this kid carries with him the weight of being the #1 recruit in the nation with all the expectations and pressures that come with it.

I do hope Saban and Tucker's relationship had something to do with it. Perhaps his transition to Bama was not an easy one for a bunch of reasons. I don't think Saban would have made the "quit the team" comments, if he did not think Alfano has the talent. It may have come down to the fact that the staff did not see him breaking into the 2-deep for a couple seasons and Alfano did not have that sort of patience given the weight of expectations. Of course, Saban would have wanted him to be patient and stay. I do believe the Saban is curt, sometimes harsh, very competitive, but I do not think that he is a complete douche bag. I think he generally does care about his players, so once the decision was made why not direct him to MT and CU out of conference, someone he knows coaches with the right values + toughness, and he will have a chance to play soon. The weight of expectations at CU will be minimal compared to sitting at Bama, while your peers are playing at other SEC or ACC schools, which do not have Bama's depth.

It will be good news if he lands here.
He was going to play, a lot, at Bama THIS season. His leaving had nothing to do with his place on the depth chart.

It would be great to know what they expect his eligibility to be if he comes here. Assuming this season is a RS year or does it even matter because he never really went to classes? Was he even enrolled? Obviously it’d be great to have him regardless, but will be tough to wait until September 2021 to see him in action.

He was going to play, a lot, at Bama THIS season. His leaving had nothing to do with his place on the depth chart.

Yup, he’s a day 1 starter at every college in America. If he continues to excel and work on his game he could be the kind of guy that plays as a rookie in the NFL.

It would be great to know what they expect his eligibility to be if he comes here. Assuming this season is a RS year or does it even matter because he never really went to classes? Was he even enrolled? Obviously it’d be great to have him regardless, but will be tough to wait until September 2021 to see him in action.

I can't find anything that says that he ever actually suited up at Alabama (Correct me if I'm wrong anyone). Why wouldn't he be eligible to play right away?

Maybe whatever happened left him unavailable during fall practices . . . I know that he missed a bunch of practices. That would have moved him down the depth chart. Maybe he was overwhelmed and bugged out once classes started? Who knows... but if you are not regularly practicing on a loaded Alabama team, you will drop down the depth chart quickly. Too many 4* upperclassman licking their chops. You have to get your reps and they have to be quality reps.

I do not have any indication that this is a Darrell Scott type situation, where he was out of shape or a suspension.

Aholesken may be right, and he could be available to play? Who knows what the hardship waiver would be?

From the article:
Alfano was an early enrollee at Alabama and had two sacks in the Crimson Tide Spring Game in April.

I know that the NCAA tightened the transfer portal rules quite a bit restricting underclassman to play immediately. They wanted to avoid the Ford debacle. It comes down to a waiver. I don't know how it applies to a player who does not play in any game-- it is like really never played a down this year, but on the flip-side, he did practice during the season w/ preparation and dressing for the teams that Bama played against, so that could be an advantage requiring him to sit. I would imagine if he wanted to play in the SEC, he would have to sit because he practiced so much with Bama.

A transfer of this caliber would attract major media attention and the eyes of other transfers and future recruits. Especially the recruits visiting on the 8th. Mel changing the culture of the Buffs starts with recruiting big time players and A.A’s transfer would be vital to that. I believe there’s some ore that Mel possesses that makes players want to run through a brick wall for him like Rice said lol.

Back