What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'20 TX S Christian Gonzalez (SIGNED to COLORADO)

You keep talking like the NCAA has some kind of actual authority. Where are you getting this notion?
Correct me if I’m wrong but the NCAA removed its Sit Out One Year policy. I believe the NCAA could reinstall it, right? That wasn’t a court thing. The NIL was a court (SCOTUS) thing.

Correct me if I’m wrong but the NCAA removed its Sit Out One Year policy. I believe the NCAA could reinstall it, right? That wasn’t a court thing. The NIL was a court (SCOTUS) thing.
Correct, but toothpaste is out of the tube. The NCAA isn’t making anymore rules and they sure as **** aren’t going to reinstate a policy that most people agree is best for the players.

This hurts for sure, but don’t think restricting player mobility is the solution. That’d be the lazy out IMO. HCKD just needs to do a better job of creating an environment where guys want to stick around and see a clear vision for the future.

But they need to at least limit the time periods when plays can enter the portal

I think most people believe this is likely what will happen in the not so distant future. Something like 30 programs who want to make the necessary investment to compete will create their own league and the other 35 P5 programs can create their own league or realign with the mid to higher end G5 programs.

The only way it changes is if the Pac 12, B1G and ACC are able to somehow agree that the best interest of the sport and their conferences would be to actually align and do massive profit sharing across all 40(?) teams, while creating their own set of rules and governing body.
I've been posting this for a while.

The upper end programs, those that want to be quasi-professional level programs will form their own league and in the process take the largest chunk of the TV money with them. They will likely separate themselves partially or completely from the NCAA so they can set their own rules. This group will probably be 35-50 teams initially but in time we will see some decide they don't want to make those kinds of commitments financially or the compromises required to compete at that level.

Then we will have a second level that wants to perform at a high level but not to the level of the top group. This will include most of the P5 programs that don't go to the very top level and about half of the G5 programs.

Next level will be the majority of the rest of theG5 programs and the top FCS programs.

With all of these but the very top level it is likely that there will be a downscaling of budgets. When programs aren't getting $30 million per year in media money they are going to be less likely to pay a head coach $5 million a year guaranteed for multiple years.

If they are going to be paying cost of attendance then it is likely that their will be reductions in the numbers of scholarships similar to how FCS currently is at 63.

In time as some schools find themselves not generating the revenues they expect I think we will see either a down migration of schools or some schools just dropping the sport. I don't think there will be a lot doing that though because of the value football has in alumni engagement, campus climate, and with the investments in facilities they have made.

Basically Transfer Portal without sitting 1 year has made the have nots (Such as CU, others like it, non big 5) into a farm club where kids can go to play early, then transfer when bigger schools come calling or holding out money.

Feels like CU recruiting 4/5 star players who end up leaving us the night before or day of signing, only it happens every semester now.

Basically Transfer Portal without sitting 1 year has made the have nots (Such as CU, others like it, non big 5) into a farm club where kids can go to play early, then transfer when bigger schools come calling or holding out money.

Feels like CU recruiting 4/5 star players who end up leaving us the night before or day of signing, only it happens every semester now.
You nailed it. We watched as CG took his lumps as a true freshman and grew into a solid player. I wonder if he would have played as a true freshman at some of the top tier schools.

Haven't seen many higher than 3 for a while, if ever.

You nailed it. We watched as CG took his lumps as a true freshman and grew into a solid player. I wonder if he would have played as a true freshman at some of the top tier schools.
But have to wonder if this were a decent program winning more games than they lose and going to some kind of a bowl game if he would be out the door.

My sense is that the unspoken reason behind at least some of our transfers is that it isn't any fun playing for a team that has no hope of winning most of it's games.

Back