What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2013 Basketball Season Tickets (sold out 10/4)

I'm guessing that more of the half that gets cut is going to be the front half. Frankly, they have been carrying way too many woodwinds as is. You only need one damn piccolo player since you can't get two of them in tune anyway. You probably aren't going to notice a huge dropoff in the volume.

I don't know if they are cutting sections specifically yet. That wouldn't surprise me as this thing goes on. There is a reason most of the big basketball schools have 30 member bands and that most of those 30 members are brass.

it is a $100 to join the buffclub, not very exclusive IMO.
I agree. Most season tickets now have a mandatory donation attached to them. My two tickets had no donation attached last season but do now. Most season ticket holders will automatically reach buff club status. Not a bad thing in my opinion. I would assume the buff club will see a spike in membership from this type of auto enroll?

The only possible resolution is to sell beer in the concourses and put free popcorn in the club room.

I don't know if they are cutting sections specifically yet. That wouldn't surprise me as this thing goes on. There is a reason most of the big basketball schools have 30 member bands and that most of those 30 members are brass.
In the arenas with ~18k+ seats, cutting the band numbers down doesn't mean as much. In this case where seats are scrace and demand exceeds supply, every seat matters more.

Agree with Sack and others, we're not at the point where you want to make basketball more exclusive. This is really only the fourth year where we've had a viable basketball team, only third of which where men's basketball has even been profitable, hopefully that time will come where they make it so you have to pay an excessive amount to join and they're a power but now isn't that time.

If CU football weren't at it's lowest point, I'm not sure how popular basketball would be. I don't think it would be selling out non-conference games especially against "directional" schools. Basketball has become a great fall-back for a lot of the fanbase IMO, who didn't traditionally care about it. So yes, I think CU men's basketball has benefitted from CU football doing bad -- not that the team is rooting against the football team.

This might not be the best example but take Florida. They obviously have a bigger disparity between football and basketball popularity. The year they won the first national title in basketball, they couldn't sellout any non-conference game besides Ohio State IIRC.

I agree with you that it would help "other" sports, mainly Olympic sports. Any one of those coaches will tell you when football is losing, they're losing since they depend on football.

Basketball season overlaps football's regular season by 3 weeks. Even then, it's not like you're playing home games at the same time. CU fans would still be ecstatic about Tad and showing up in force if our football team was top 25 right now. More fans. More publicity. More $$$. There is no catch. You've seen it yourself with Maryland when the stars aligned and football and basketball were firing on all cylinders in '01/'02.

I have said this a hundred times but the club room need to be restricted start issuing a buffclub card if you arent a member of the buffclub regardless of if you have season tickets, no soup for you.

The fact that may even be widespread shows we have a long ways to go.

I don't know that I'm going to bother with the Club Room at half times this season. I end up having to leave for it before the 1st half is over and it's damn near impossible to finish 1 drink and make it back to my seat in time for the start of the 2nd half.

Put me down as someone who will be first in line if they ever add a Club Level concourse to the Keg.

w-flask-ss-ginormous162560.jpg

Basketball season overlaps football's regular season by 3 weeks. Even then, it's not like you're playing home games at the same time. CU fans would still be ecstatic about Tad and showing up in force if our football team was top 25 right now. More fans. More publicity. More $$$. There is no catch. You've seen it yourself with Maryland when the stars aligned and football and basketball were firing on all cylinders in '01/'02.

All I can think about is Florida. To win a national championship in both sports, in the same year is incredible.

I don't know that I'm going to bother with the Club Room at half times this season. I end up having to leave for it before the 1st half is over and it's damn near impossible to finish 1 drink and make it back to my seat in time for the start of the 2nd half.

Put me down as someone who will be first in line if they ever add a Club Level concourse to the Keg.

Yeah. I typically don't go to the club room at halftime anymore. As you say, it's a mess in there. It is a good spot to hang out prior to the game. For somebody like myself, who has a lot of clients in and around Boulder, it's a great spot to hang out, mingle, and maybe talk a little business prior to the game.

no more club room for me as well. I stopped after pre-season last year unless I was forced to go. It used to be a good time. now it's a **** show unless someone is down there already with a beer for me.

no more club room for me as well. I stopped after pre-season last year unless I was forced to go. It used to be a good time. now it's a **** show unless someone is down there already with a beer for me.

Yeah dude! **** that place! No free popcorn!

One thing is for certain - there will be issues with dealing with that many people at the games. This is new territory for CU basketball. They're not used to seeing 11,000 people at every game. Used to be they could pretty easily pick out what games would be well attended. It's not easy to manage 11,000 people coming and going to a basketball game 20 times a year.

Only briefly with Maryland though. When Fridge initially came there was life, that I hadn't seen in the program prior.

Here's the thing, I have no doubt many on here could get behind both. But all things being equal, I think people are focusing on football. Unless basketball was really, really good (like top 10) or playing really marquee games, I think basketball would take more of a backseat if football was doing contending for a P-12 title. Once the football season ended or regular season if it was a lesser bowl, I think people would show up for basketball.

I mean many people on here have said, they didn't buy football season tickets to save for basketball.

All I can think about is Florida. To win a national championship in both sports, in the same year is incredible.
Yeah that's insane -- I know a bunch of people from my high school who went to UF during that time period -- 2 football national championships, 2 basketball national championships, Tim Tebow winning the Heisman. Hard to top that.

One thing is for certain - there will be issues with dealing with that many people at the games. This is new territory for CU basketball. They're not used to seeing 11,000 people at every game. Used to be they could pretty easily pick out what games would be well attended. It's not easy to manage 11,000 people coming and going to a basketball game 20 times a year.
When I was there it was Kansas game and than there the "other games." When there were like 7k for Bzdelik's debut that was worth a story in the paper.

Atleast knowing that all games will be at capacity, they'll be to see handle it better as the season goes on.

As long as folks don't cave or get greedy, the CU / gheysquawk game should be 90% black and gold. Our folks better drown out the rock-choke-gag-spit chant of the few blue-clad fans.

As long as folks don't cave or get greedy, the CU / gheysquawk game should be 90% black and gold. Our folks better drown out the rock-choke-gag-spit chant of the few blue-clad fans.

Start chanting with them, "suck **** chicken hawk." Theyll love it, just like cornholio when we chanted "you're inbred."

Would a higher-up donor who got the email for single game tickets to Kansas and Arizona let me know what the list price for GA tickets is for those games? I'm curious what the markup will be on the secondary market. I doubt I'm high up enough on the priority points list to ever get that email.

Thanks.

Would a higher-up donor who got the email for single game tickets to Kansas and Arizona let me know what the list price for GA tickets is for those games? I'm curious what the markup will be on the secondary market. I doubt I'm high up enough on the priority points list to ever get that email.

Thanks.

The cheapest tickets on StubHub right now are $195 for General Admission. Wow.

The cheapest tickets on StubHub right now are $195 for General Admission. Wow.

Exactly. This is why I asked what the GA list price is for those games, so I know I much someone's pockets are getting lined. Again, there has to be someone here with this info. Let us know if you're privy.

I can't believe that student season tickets for basketball are only $35 if you have football season tickets. I think it's fair to treat men's basketball as the moneymaker that it currently is, and raise the price of it for students (while still keeping it a great deal - like $100 for a season ticket), to help generate some more money for the AD. I know it's not much in the grand scheme of things, but the additional $175,000 or so wouldn't exactly be chump change for a cash strapped athletic department.

I think I paid $20 in addition to football season tix 12 years ago, and not even taking inflation into account, the product on the court is way more than a bit over one-third better than it was back then. Back then, that deal was a ripoff, as you could get in to almost every game (sans Kansas) for $2, and a free t-shirt often came with admission.

Last edited:
I can't believe that student season tickets for basketball are only $35 if you have football season tickets. I think it's fair to treat men's basketball as the moneymaker that it currently is, and raise the price of it for students (while still keeping it a great deal - like $100 for a season ticket), to help generate some more money for the AD. I know it's not much in the grand scheme of things, but the additional $175,000 or so wouldn't exactly be chump change for a cash strapped athletic department.

I think I paid $20 in addition to football season tix 12 years ago, and not even taking inflation into account, the product on the court is way more than a bit over one-third better than it was back then. Back then, that deal was a ripoff, as you could get in to almost every game (sans Kansas) for $2, and a free t-shirt often came with admission.

I don't think that's an accurate assessment. For one, you can't get basketball tickets without football, so you can very well have kids who are paying $175 for basketball and have to buy football for the privilege. Second, students can still buy tickets- they aren't sold out. Meaning the demand isn't yet great enough to warrant increasing prices. Third, increasing student ticket prices basically means you're increasing costs to kids who are already paying exorbitant costs just to attend school and live in Boulder, or their parents.

We have sold out of normal season tickets, meaning there is revenue to be raised there. But raising money on the backs of students is not the answer.

I don't think that's an accurate assessment. For one, you can't get basketball tickets without football, so you can very well have kids who are paying $175 for basketball and have to buy football for the privilege. Second, students can still buy tickets- they aren't sold out. Meaning the demand isn't yet great enough to warrant increasing prices. Third, increasing student ticket prices basically means you're increasing costs to kids who are already paying exorbitant costs just to attend school and live in Boulder, or their parents.

We have sold out of normal season tickets, meaning there is revenue to be raised there. But raising money on the backs of students is not the answer.

I think I wrote a mostly accurate assessment. I was mostly suggesting that Men's basketball at CU should start to get treated like the star that it is and that I was surprised at how cheap student season tickets are. Nothing more other than throwing out an added possible benefit. Yet, I guess I hit a sore spot.

Good point about some students being stuck buying the football tickets. I didn't think if it that way at all. How times have changed.

Basketball season ticket holders get a great product and it would still be a great deal if the price was higher. It's a way underpriced and optional activity, so I don't see how it's on the backs of students.

If you think students will be able to get tickets to most games as they aren't sold out, I think you might be surprised. Students (those with season tickets) were actually turned away from at least one game last year due to unexpected attendance numbers. They sell more student tickets than actual seats, which is why a mandatory online check-in might be instated in the future. Weren't you recently asking for someone to sell you a Kansas game ticket? The demand will be there (if it's not already) - students just procrastinate. Haven't you paid attention to when students arrive for football games?

I don't buy the sticking it to the students argument. Student fees are a part of every school, and with hardly any money coming from the state, the money has to come from somewhere. Plus, basketball tickets are completely optional and not required fees. Again, I don't advocate gouging students at all. I was once a poor student (now I'm a poor former student), and all I mentioned was that a great product with great value could command a reasonably higher price.

Of course you just focused on price and not quality of product or change over time. That's okay though, as everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Thanks for the dialogue.

I think I wrote a mostly accurate assessment. I was mostly suggesting that Men's basketball at CU should start to get treated like the star that it is and that I was surprised at how cheap student season tickets are. Nothing more other than throwing out an added possible benefit. Yet, I guess I hit a sore spot.

Good point about some students being stuck buying the football tickets. I didn't think if it that way at all. How times have changed.

Basketball season ticket holders get a great product and it would still be a great deal if the price was higher. It's a way underpriced and optional activity, so I don't see how it's on the backs of students.

If you think students will be able to get tickets to most games as they aren't sold out, I think you might be surprised. Students (those with season tickets) were actually turned away from at least one game last year due to unexpected attendance numbers. They sell more student tickets than actual seats, which is why a mandatory online check-in might be instated in the future. Weren't you recently asking for someone to sell you a Kansas game ticket? The demand will be there (if it's not already) - students just procrastinate. Haven't you paid attention to when students arrive for football games?

I don't buy the sticking it to the students argument. Student fees are a part of every school, and with hardly any money coming from the state, the money has to come from somewhere. Plus, basketball tickets are completely optional and not required fees. Again, I don't advocate gouging students at all. I was once a poor student (now I'm a poor former student), and all I mentioned was that a great product with great value could command a reasonably higher price.

Of course you just focused on price and not quality of product or change over time. That's okay though, as everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Thanks for the dialogue.

I get what you're saying on all counts (and I'm still looking for a Kansas ticket! I even made a joke about enrolling in a class so I could buy a student ticket). And I totally agree with you regarding student fees (we're really paying to build a Ralphie shaped outdoor pool?), but I guess my larger point is this- student tickets shouldn't be about raising revenue, they should be about cultivating the next generation of fans who will use their theoretically increased buying power to purchase regular season tickets. A student who can get in for $50 a season will become an alum who will buy season tickets for $110, or $200, or $300, or whatever. A student who is priced out of those tickets at the moment is less likely to become such an alum.

Back