What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!
  • There has been an ongoing bug where club membership subscriptions have not been expiring. We have fixed this bug, and on October 7 users who do not have an active subscription will have their membership revoked, and you will be given the opportunity to renew. Please visit this post for details: https://allbuffs.com/threads/club-membership-privileges-not-being-revoked-when-yearly-subscription-ends.160161/

2018 Pac-12 Recruiting Thread

Not that it matters but some of my other prior football takes were that Purify was likely to be better than Houston, that Dan Hawkins was a fraud, and that CU would ultimately cave and pay off Lisa Simpson. And I was vilified for these opinions. I respect your stuff, but I've been on various CU boards since 1998. Bloom was a jackass and a spoiled opportunist.
Do you know Bloom personally?

Not that it matters but some of my other prior football takes were that Purify was likely to be better than Houston, that Dan Hawkins was a fraud, and that CU would ultimately cave and pay off Lisa Simpson. And I was vilified for these opinions. I respect your stuff, but I've been on various CU boards since 1998. Bloom was a jackass and a spoiled opportunist.

Wait a minute, hold the damn phone. I told this board Hawkins should have been fired after 2008 season. Don't you bogart my hot take damn it!

Wait a minute, hold the damn phone. I told this board Hawkins should have been fired after 2008 season. Don't you bogart my hot take damn it!

Hey Syko, I remember that you did. There were about 4 of us...strange times. It was like the Hawkins advocates were seeing a totally different guy.

Do you know Bloom personally?

No. Just didn't appreciate his media campaign. It was completely misguided, had zero chance of success, and made him look whiny. That NCAA policy actually makes sense in my opinion.

My best memory of Bloom is of him outrunning the Florida State secondary. The guy had some wheels. He was an interesting footnote here and has moved on to do well.

No. Just didn't appreciate his media campaign. It was completely misguided, had zero chance of success, and made him look whiny. That NCAA policy actually makes sense in my opinion.

My best memory of Bloom is of him outrunning the Florida State secondary. The guy had some wheels. He was an interesting footnote here and has moved on to do well.
He was a great football player and even better person. He was in a very unique situation that I am guessing you would have no idea about. Not many humans get the chance to compete at the highest levels in two different sports. One of them just happened to be an Olympic sport. It is almost impossible to compete in the Olympics without endorsements.

Interested in your reasoning.

The NCAA allows players to take payments for other sports (you can play pro baseball and compete in NCAA football). Stefanou (our kicker) was paid as a soccer player.

The NCAA banned endorsement money for another sport. I think the thinking behind the ruling was that a kid could get paid by Nike for his track career, while playing football for Oregon. Something like that, blurring the lines.

But in this case, these were endorsements from Ski Equipment companies and other products that had NOTHING to do with football. It made no sense. It simply required that the NCAA look into and make a case by case exception, which they are unwilling to ever do. They have one rule fits all mentality.

And Bloom wasn't whiny for seeking justice. That's bs.

The NCAA was in between a rock and a hard place on that one. If they set the precedent allowing sponsorships for athletes then it would’ve forced open the door to fully professionalize college sports.

“Hey Coach Saban, I need to take on endorsements for my BMX racing. I’m now sponsored by Tuscaloosa Chevy.” That’s not going to work.

The NCAA missed an opportunity to create an exemption where they could say you can accept endorsements for a limited time period if you made an Olympic team. Or perhaps you could allow the university to sponsor the athlete, which would require submitting financial paperwork to the NCAA by the compliance office.

Such a rare case, though. May not happen ever again.

PAHI Buff has sort of been a perma bear on things, so it’s kind of like calling a recession constantly. You’re bound to be right eventually. He’s like the Nouriel Roubini of Allbuffs.

It was a rare case. If Saban has a world class, one of the top in the world BMX racers, then so be it. Have a system of appeals and the BMX racer should win. He gets paid for BMX racing, from BMX bike companies and hats and shirts and stuff. Nothing from Tuscaloosa Chevy and nothing from locals trying to line pockets of players. Wait, they just do that with handshakes anyway.

He was a great football player and even better person. He was in a very unique situation that I am guessing you would have no idea about. Not many humans get the chance to compete at the highest levels in two different sports. One of them just happened to be an Olympic sport. It is almost impossible to compete in the Olympics without endorsements.

It's not rare in life to run into people that want to have their cake and eat it too, i.e. folks who live by the creed "rules are for other people". It doesn't make them noble necessarily, just self serving. My only point was that it was strange that he chose to play out his situation in the press, as though the NCAA was going to pay attention to that. People are confronted with exclusive choices in life all the time. You can't be a Navy Seal and a NASCAR driver at the same time. I think JB got some bad advice during that time, but it looks like he did well ultimately. It just came off as being very entitled to me and to a number of other people at the time.

The NCAA was in between a rock and a hard place on that one. If they set the precedent allowing sponsorships for athletes then it would’ve forced open the door to fully professionalize college sports.

“Hey Coach Saban, I need to take on endorsements for my BMX racing. I’m now sponsored by Tuscaloosa Chevy.” That’s not going to work.

The NCAA missed an opportunity to create an exemption where they could say you can accept endorsements for a limited time period if you made an Olympic team. Or perhaps you could allow the university to sponsor the athlete, which would require submitting financial paperwork to the NCAA by the compliance office.

Such a rare case, though. May not happen ever again.

PAHI Buff has sort of been a perma bear on things, so it’s kind of like calling a recession constantly. You’re bound to be right eventually. He’s like the Nouriel Roubini of Allbuffs.

I generally like your post, other than the Nouriel Roubini part. I don't see myself as a pessimist. Maybe I should think about that.

I generally like your post, other than the Nouriel Roubini part. I don't see myself as a pessimist. Maybe I should think about that.

I know you're a fan and just being realistic, but you've been pretty consistent with the negative takes. Perhaps you should test your prognostication skills with some positive takes.

I think our offensive line and defensive lines set up to be hot garbage next year, and I think Eliot was a terrible hire as a DC. I'm not going to pound the readers with that, though. Offseason is for koolaid.

Washington hosting 4* DL Tuli Latuligasenoa (current USC commit) and Jeremiah Martin this weekend. Sounds like Latuligasenoa may end up flipping. If they land either player, likely pushes them into the Top 10 and gives them the #1 class in the conference this season.

Sounds like USC is limping to the finish line. Disorganized and several coaches leaving has prevented the big finish they were banking on.

Interested in your reasoning.

The NCAA allows players to take payments for other sports (you can play pro baseball and compete in NCAA football). Stefanou (our kicker) was paid as a soccer player.

The NCAA banned endorsement money for another sport. I think the thinking behind the ruling was that a kid could get paid by Nike for his track career, while playing football for Oregon. Something like that, blurring the lines.

But in this case, these were endorsements from Ski Equipment companies and other products that had NOTHING to do with football. It made no sense. It simply required that the NCAA look into and make a case by case exception, which they are unwilling to ever do. They have one rule fits all mentality.

And Bloom wasn't whiny for seeking justice. That's bs.

I'm still mad at Judge Hale.

Back