What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2018 WBB Recruit Profile Index

I remember a comment by JR when she first arrived that recruiting for the 17 class and 18 class was so far behind. Former assistant Jeff Cammon said he was surprised because Cal had already locked in players for both classes.

JR and her staff have great personalities. Watching the videos of them interacting with their players makes me feel very positive about the future.

Let's face it, CU is going to have win right now with getting those players that are below the radar for the big programs and then developing them. They will have to win some recruiting wars like they did with Schwartz for 2018 and Knight in 2017 and I believe they will win more in 2019. This could've been a very good class with Nwoke but Duke swooped in and got her. We lost some big recruits for this class to ND, Duke, Louisville, Princeton and Yale. Here's what I know. I don't think there is a staff more built for CU for recruiting than the current one and I believe it starts paying off more in 2019. Kids start get recruiting in the 8th and 9th grade so this staff was way behind for 2017 and 2018 and still got respectable classes and came damn close to a top ten class if not for some bad luck. We will get there.
Re: the bolded contention about the potential ranking of the recruiting class.... I just don't see it given the players that are committed and the other recruits that we have heard about that have recently committed elsewhere. To have anything close to a top ten class, with the two know commits not being ranked at all by either ESPN or ProspectsNation, the staff would have had to get commits from several more players who were probably in the top 30 in the rankings. And I have not heard that CU was even in on any of those players. Believe me, I'd love to see CU WBB get a top ten recruiting class but I don't see how it could have happened this year.

Re: the bolded contention about the potential ranking of the recruiting class.... I just don't see it given the players that are committed and the other recruits that we have heard about that have recently committed elsewhere. To have anything close to a top ten class, with the two know commits not being ranked at all by either ESPN or ProspectsNation, the staff would have had to get commits from several more players who were probably in the top 30 in the rankings. And I have not heard that CU was even in on any of those players. Believe me, I'd love to see CU WBB get a top ten recruiting class but I don't see how it could have happened this year.

I really wasn't just talking from 1 service. More in general. We were right there with Aquino, Robinson, Emsbo and Cosgrove. Swartz is ranked top 50 by a major service as well according to a thread on here. If you just add two of those 4, you probably have a top ten class.

Looking at ProspectsNation, which is the only ranking service that I have access to that has both individual player rankings and recruiting class rankings, if I look back at the 2017 recruiting classes, class #10 has 3 players in it : one ranked at #13, one at #14 and one at >#150, for an average of 59 (using 151 for the unranked player). Looking at the players you mention plus the 2 verbals CU has for 2018, I still don't see how CU would be anywhere close to their top 10. Based on the current PN rankings, both Tuitele and Swartz are in the >#150 category. So even adding the 2 best of the 4 players you named, we would gain #27 Robinson and #30 Aquino, giving us a 4 player class with average ranking of about 90.
Of course there are other ranking services that would yield other results. There is nowhere near the attention paid to WBB recruiting and rankings as there is to MBB or FB so there is probably a much wider range in the WBB rankings out there.

Looking at ProspectsNation, which is the only ranking service that I have access to that has both individual player rankings and recruiting class rankings, if I look back at the 2017 recruiting classes, class #10 has 3 players in it : one ranked at #13, one at #14 and one at >#150, for an average of 59 (using 151 for the unranked player). Looking at the players you mention plus the 2 verbals CU has for 2018, I still don't see how CU would be anywhere close to their top 10. Based on the current PN rankings, both Tuitele and Swartz are in the >#150 category. So even adding the 2 best of the 4 players you named, we would gain #27 Robinson and #30 Aquino, giving us a 4 player class with average ranking of about 90.
Of course there are other ranking services that would yield other results. There is nowhere near the attention paid to WBB recruiting and rankings as there is to MBB or FB so there is probably a much wider range in the WBB rankings out there.

I said in general. You're taking things way too literally and stuck on ratings. Our coaches and some others would say top ten. We were close but parents, homesickness, academics, etc buried us this year. The big miss was a true post player this year.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how to start a new sticky thread, but it's time to start looking at who the WBB may be recruiting in the class of '19. This isn't to say they are done with the class of '18, but there are some names we have already heard for the class of '19 and there is this tweet which JR retweeted recently. It covers four players from a club team in Colorado, two of whom are Coloradans and two from Utah. All four of them are in the Prospect Nation top 100 for the class of '19.

https://prospectsnation.com/players/ranked/2019

Last edited:
I'm not sure how to start a new sticky thread, but it's time to start looking at who the WBB may be recruiting in the class of '19. This isn't to say they are done with the class of '18, but there are some names we have already heard for the class of '19 and there is this tweet which JR retweeted recently. It covers four players from a club team in Colorado, two of whom are Coloradans and two from Utah. All four of them are in the Prospect Nation top 100 for the class of '19.

https://prospectsnation.com/players/ranked/2019

Unfortunatley, Francesca Belibi looks to not be considering CU. Rather Stanford and Notre Dame, Harvard and Princeton. Too Bad

They need two posts for 2019 I think unless they pick up a juco for 18. We lose our two guards too after next year so need two of those I think.

More 2019 (Mods - can we get a new sticky thread?)

She's a 6-0 wing from Sapulpa, OK the same hometown as former Buff great PG Mandy Nightingale. A 4* prospect and #87 overall in the class of '19.

More 2019 (Mods - can we get a new sticky thread?)

She's a 6-0 wing from Sapulpa, OK the same hometown as former Buff great PG Mandy Nightingale. A 4* prospect and #87 overall in the class of '19.

I don't put anything past this staff but she will be a tough pull. Ark, OU, Michigan all have offered. She's from OK but plays AAU for Ark team.

ASGR 2018 class rankings revised as of 12/19/17:
CU class ranked #47. Other PAC 12 classes: OSU=12, STANFORD=13, UCLA=14, ARIZONA=16, OREGON=17, USC=29, CAL=34, ASU=37, UW=49, UTAH=108. WSU not in this list of 125. So CU is number 9 out of the 11 ranked PAC-12 classes.
This service includes transfers in the recruiting list who become eligible to play in the 2018 season.
https://asgrbasketball.com/top-125-recruiting-class-rankings-2018/

ASGR 2018 class rankings revised as of 12/19/17:
CU class ranked #47. Other PAC 12 classes: OSU=12, STANFORD=13, UCLA=14, ARIZONA=16, OREGON=17, USC=29, CAL=34, ASU=37, UW=49, UTAH=108. WSU not in this list of 125. So CU is number 9 out of the 11 ranked PAC-12 classes.
This service includes transfers in the recruiting list who become eligible to play in the 2018 season.
https://asgrbasketball.com/top-125-recruiting-class-rankings-2018/

Does that mean Swartz is 53rd ranked and Peanut 247th?

I said in general. You're taking things way too literally and stuck on ratings. Our coaches and some others would say top ten. We were close but parents, homesickness, academics, etc buried us this year. The big miss was a true post player this year.

I'm understanding you claimed the Buffs were on the verge of a top-ten class.

If we're being honest, that's hyperbole. The Buffs every year get three star players. I don't think CU has had a top-ten class comparing to the twelve Pac-12 schools, since we entered the Pac-12 let alone the rest of Division I. Every season seemingly every school in the Pac-12 signs top-100, top-25, top-50 players and gets commits. CU doesn't. CU gets players that are aggressive but are short, or can't defend, or struggle shooting. My understanding of the 2018 class was that CU had about the 50th best class overall. In order to move that into a top-ten overall class you'd be talking about getting a couple, not just one, five-star top-15/25 players. Putting forth the notion that CU almost had a top-10 class is just wishful thinking at best. Class ratings are a function of ratings, nothing more.

Our coaches have told some of our players they would rather have them than any player in the country, because coaches say a lot of things to motivate recruits and active players. However, the hallmarks of a JR Payne type player is a very intelligent, gritty, tough basketball player. What she inherited were some players that seemed to be coached from their parents in the stands as often as the coaches on the floor, players that really struggle with body language, staying positive with their attitude, and putting the team first not just their own goals of scoring average. Why do coaches say what they say? Do you want them to tell an athlete they have an attitude problem and they will never allow a player with that kind of negativity into the program again? Even if true what would that actually accomplish? You build athletes and programs up, especially one's you inherit and didn't recruit, you don't tear them down. These are young people. They all are growing and making mistakes. The role of coach is to guide them, and help them.

This program has a long way to go to just land a class amongst the top of the twelve Pac-12 schools let alone a top-10 class nationally, in my opinion.

Last edited:
I'm understanding you claimed the Buffs were on the verge of a top-ten class.

If we're being honest, that's hyperbole. The Buffs every year get three star players. I don't think CU has had a top-ten class comparing to the twelve Pac-12 schools, since we entered the Pac-12 let alone the rest of Division I. Every season seemingly every school in the Pac-12 signs top-100, top-25, top-50 players and gets commits. CU doesn't. CU gets players that are aggressive but are short, or can't defend, or struggle shooting. My understanding of the 2018 class was that CU had about the 50th best class overall. In order to move that into a top-ten overall class you'd be talking about getting a couple, not just one, five-star top-15/25 players. Putting forth the notion that CU almost had a top-10 class is just wishful thinking at best. Class ratings are a function of ratings, nothing more.

Our coaches have told some of our players they would rather have them than any player in the country, because coaches say a lot of things to motivate recruits and active players. However, the hallmarks of a JR Payne type player is a very intelligent, gritty, tough basketball player. What she inherited were some players that seemed to be coached from their parents in the stands as often as the coaches on the floor, players that really struggle with body language, staying positive with their attitude, and putting the team first not just their own goals of scoring average. Why do coaches say what they say? Do you want them to tell an athlete they have an attitude problem and they will never allow a player with that kind of negativity into the program again? Even if true what would that actually accomplish? You build athletes and programs up, especially one's you inherit and didn't recruit, you don't tear them down. These are young people. They all are growing and making mistakes. The role of coach is to guide them, and help them.

This program has a long way to go to just land a class amongst the top of the twelve Pac-12 schools let alone a top-10 class nationally, in my opinion.

Oh look. The troll is back. It's amazing it just took a couple of home blowout losses to get you back on here. You're a sick puppy, son.

On the rankings, we had a top 50 player committed and two other top 50 players about to commit. Unfortunately, Robinson's sister backed out and the other one got a late ND offer.

On the rankings, we had a top 50 player committed and two other top 50 players about to commit. Unfortunately, Robinson's sister backed out and the other one got a late ND offer.
I'm puzzled by your stating that we lost a top 50 player to a late ND offer. I looked at the names of the players in the ND 2018 recruiting class on the ASGR page that I had earlier linked. And I don't recognize any of the names as players CU was known (by me) to be recruiting. Can you tell us which of the ND commits it was? Or are you referring to the center that we lost to a late Duke offer... Uchenna Nwoke? If so, Nwoke is rated at #93 by ASGR. Still very good, but not top 50.

Last edited:
I'm puzzled by your stating that we lost a top 50 player to a late ND offer. I looked at the names of the players in the ND 2019 recruiting class on the ASGR page that I had earlier linked. And I don't recognize any of the names as players CU was known (by me) to be recruiting. Can you tell us which of the ND commits it was? Or are you referring to the center that we lost to a late Duke offer... Uchenna Nwoke? If so, Nwoke is rated at #93 by ASGR. Still very good, but not top 50.

http://www.espn.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/207207

Also, Duke did come in and steal one too. Her highest ranking:

https://prospectsnation.com/player/uchenna-nwoke

Ah yes. I had forgotten about Cosgrove. Interesting that the ASGR class rankings I linked to previously doesn't even include Cosgrove in the list of ND recruits.

Oh look. The troll is back. It's amazing it just took a couple of home blowout losses to get you back on here. You're a sick puppy, son.

Good catch. AKA RWAG or BoCo returns after a few months hiatus. Can change your name but not your hate

This was already noted by Bebe in a general WBB discussion thread (see post #30 at https://www.allbuffs.com/threads/wb...-strong-finish-heading-into-offseason.132573/), but wanted to note here the Buffs look to have picked up a 2018 verbal commitment from Kai Volcy, a 6'4" center attending The Hun School (Princeton NJ) this season. She also looks to play for the Hoops America/ NJ Demons club team. (Maxpreps previously had her as a 2017 grad at the Groton School in Groton Mass.. Per an article I found (http://www.centraljersey.com/sports...cle_ea35984c-e144-11e7-93a4-e78959e94829.html), this is a post- graduate prep school year at Hun for her.)

Welcome and congrats to her!

_________________________________________________________________________________________

A few things I could find on her-

Many videos of (I assume) her teams (both club and Hun) playing, and of her working out individually with her coaches, are available at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNM7ltxE5M8FewObs9coVMQ/videos

Here is one Hun game film-

Some short videos of her (also posted by one of her coaches), mainly working with the coaches, can be seen via Twitter (hashtag search on her name) at https://twitter.com/hashtag/KaiVolcy?src=hash

Per http://highschoolsports.nj.com/player/kai-volcy/ , looks to have averaged 12.8 points, 9.5 rebounds, 3.3 blocks and 1.4 assists per game for Hun this season.

While at Groton, she also was on the track and field teams, and helped earn her teams points with 5th places finishes in both the discus and shot put at the Massachusetts DIII state championships her senior year (in 2017), while also finishing 10th in the high jump. Her track and field results can be seen at - https://www.athletic.net/TrackAndField/Athlete.aspx?AID=8419211#!/L0

Human interest story about her written during her Groton senior year season - https://thecirclevoice.org/2094/sports/athlete-of-the-issue-kai-volcy/

I had heard that the coaches were after a girl from New Jersey and I was hoping that meant Brittany Garner. After seeing the commit from Kai Volcy I thought maybe that was who they meant. So I'm glad to see that they are indeed recruiting Garner. Given how thin the WBB team is in the post, we could use both of these young ladies.

Given how thin the WBB team is in the post, we could use both of these young ladies.
It would be interesting if they really were in interested in signing both Volcy and Garner. In theory they would be in competition for four seasons.

Unfortunately Ms Garner is going to Mizzou. Buffs miss out on yet another highly rated recruit.

Back