What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2020-2021 Bowl Games Thread

Yeah, even without opt outs, Florida is severely over ranked.
How quickly OU fans forget being down 49-14 at halftime last year....

anyways I think if Florida didn’t have all of these players sitting out and trask played more than a quarter it would be a solid win but definitely not a let’s chant sec, sec, sec at the end kind of game lol

But that's the point, no?
I think it is easy to see that the conference has somewhat of an inflated bowl record over the years (it is the best) but I don’t think you can deny the top of the conference has done a pretty good job kicking the **** out of teams on the national stage. I think the main issue is that a lot of bottom tier programs claim to be superior just because of affiliation when they are not.

The best team in the big 12 just beat the crap out of a team missing I think 8 starters and playing their starting QB for a quarter. That same team lost three games in conference (I get they played well against bama) including a late loss at home to LSU. Hardly a win to try and put down the SEC that is still favored to win another national championship this year.

We have have gotten beat bad by texas but we didnt get #6 team in the country beat by #7 bad...

I think it is easy to see that the conference has somewhat of an inflated bowl record over the years (it is the best) but I don’t think you can deny the top of the conference has done a pretty good job kicking the **** out of teams on the national stage. I think the main issue is that a lot of bottom tier programs claim to be superior just because of affiliation when they are not.

The best team in the big 12 just beat the crap out of a team missing I think 8 starters and playing their starting QB for a quarter. That same team lost three games in conference (I get they played well against bama) including a late loss at home to LSU. Hardly a win to try and put down the SEC that is still favored to win another national championship this year.
The narratives surrounding it get a little tiresome for me.

Bama aside, the heyday of the SEC (in my opinion) was from 2005 to 2011. After that, in my observation SEC teams consistently failed to live up to their rankings in out-of-conference play. 2014 was the height of that phenomenon, of course, but nothing seems to change the stories that we tell.

The narratives surrounding it get a little tiresome for me.

Bama aside, the heyday of the SEC (in my opinion) was from 2005 to 2011. After that, in my observation SEC teams consistently failed to live up to their rankings in out-of-conference play. 2014 was the height of that phenomenon, of course, but nothing seems to change the stories that we tell.
And that’s fine but four different programs have won National titles from the conference over the last 20 years too. Bama really took over there but even during that time 3 other programs made it to the national championship in auburn, Georgia and LSU. It is impressive to look back on and just shows you how well a lot of SEC programs recruit.

And that’s fine but four different programs have won National titles from the conference over the last 20 years too. Bama really took over there but even during that time 3 other programs made it to the national championship in auburn, Georgia and LSU. It is impressive to look back on and just shows you how well a lot of SEC programs recruit.
And in several cases, it was because the SEC was given the benefit of the doubt and given opportunities that teams with the same or better records were not.

That's what overrating teams from one conference does. It provides opportunity which creates the self-fulfilling prophesy.

It's like your evidence is making my point for me.

Who will spoil OU's season next year? ISU, KSU, TTU?

I think the opt outs are less of a factor than the fact that UF let their players go home for Xmas and then came back and practiced only 3 times. That just doesn't set the mentality needed to play such a brutal game. Bowl games are often less meaningful for one opponent or the other and I'd hoped this was the year CU would catch Texas in party mode.... Oh well.

I take nothing from 2020 other than OU lost two games to decent but not great opponents.

And in several cases, it was because the SEC was given the benefit of the doubt and given opportunities that teams with the same or better records were not.

That's what overrating teams from one conference does. It provides opportunity which creates the self-fulfilling prophesy.

It's like your evidence is making my point for me.
There isn’t one team I listed that was given the benefit of the doubt, they all deserved to be there. LsU was probably the best team in the history of college football. Auburn was an undefeated national champion. Auburn was also clearly the second best team in the country when they played Florida state. Georgia was a one loss sec champion who avenged their only loss in the championship game when they made the playoff. The issue with the sec has never really been with the top of the conference outside of the one year bama made it as the 4 seed despite not winning the SEC but I think that is one team that probably earned the benefit of the doubt.

Who will spoil OU's season next year? ISU, KSU, TTU?

I think the opt outs are less of a factor than the fact that UF let their players go home for Xmas and then came back and practiced only 3 times. That just doesn't set the mentality needed to play such a brutal game. Bowl games are often less meaningful for one opponent or the other and I'd hoped this was the year CU would catch Texas in party mode.... Oh well.

I take nothing from 2020 other than OU lost two games to decent but not great opponents.
I mean opt outs are clearly a big factor when you lose your 4 top receivers and your best player on the entire team. I do agree that if they were more focused those fill in receivers would have done better and not dropped to many passes.

I mean opt outs are clearly a big factor when you lose your 4 top receivers and your best player on the entire team. I do agree that if they were more focused those fill in receivers would have done better and not dropped to many passes.
What I'm trying to say is that the opt outs certainly hurt the position group. But the mentality of those opt-outs by leaders of the team does much more damage to the notion that the team would compete without them. I am starting to think that these bowl games are just becoming silly season.

Please expand the playoffs to at least 8 teams. If the other teams want to schedule these exhibitions, let them.

I don't see anyone questioning Florida's depth issues after that beat down. So they were down a bunch of starters... OK, they've also recruited in the top 10 nationally each of the last 5 years. Shouldn't they have some bench guys that can play? Maybe they should be relegated to the AAC, amiright?

ACC football... not great.

Rough day for Hartman with 4 picks yesterday after only throwing 1 all season. Not a good start to the bowl season for the conference with Miami losing the other night. Miami was quietly sitting in the top 10 until that debacle against UNC.

Partly. But they will use the excuse of the opt outs.

Yea but what about Trask, he looked really bad last night. Those first 3 interceptions were terrible throws. And they talked before the game about how all these young guys were excited for the opportunity but it sure didn't look like it.

OU has to be thinking about that KSU loss because if they didn't lose that game they'd be in the playoff. Then again this finish is better than another CFP blowout loss.

Back