What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2020 CU football season POSTPONED until Nov 6th?

How big of a disaster will it be if the SEC, B1G, and Big 12 have their seasons and the Pac 12 cancels theirs? It would be peak Larry Scott.

How big of a disaster will it be if the SEC, B1G, and Big 12 have their seasons and the Pac 12 cancels theirs? It would be peak Larry Scott.
It could play out either way in the national narrative. If the other conferences played, but then a few student athletes get really sick I think the Pac12 emerges having done the right thing; I'd put my money on that outcome.

Dennis Dodd article on this upcoming season. What is emerging is the cost of testing athletes and time is starting to run out on starting the season on time.

If spring football happens, it's possible that seniors and juniors who could go early in the NFL because the NFL isn't willing to accommodate college football.

Spring football appears much more likely at this point.

If the NFL goes in the fall I'm all for a spring CFB season. Seems more likely to be safe and much more likely for fans to be involved, plus stretches my football viewing pleasure across more of the year.

If the main problem is player safety and that you don’t know how to stop them from getting infected, how are things going to be different in the spring?

If the main problem is player safety and that you don’t know how to stop them from getting infected, how are things going to be different in the spring?
"If you don't understand something as fully as you want that you nonetheless understand vastly better than you did three months ago, how do you expect to understand it any better six months from now?"

It’s almost like people like @dio @Darth Snow @manhattanbuf etc had a point all along.
giphy.gif

any idea when in Spring ? March, April & May ?
Seems reasonable.
Probably have the players report in February for training camp and fire up the season in March. Run through May and have the Bowls & playoffs in June. Might kind of suck playing the Orange Bowl in June in Miami or the Fiesta Bowl in Phoenix, but maybe they could do some one-offs in Northern locations.

Seems reasonable.
Probably have the players report in February for training camp and fire up the season in March. Run through May and have the Bowls & playoffs in June. Might kind of suck playing the Orange Bowl in June in Miami or the Fiesta Bowl in Phoenix, but maybe they could do some one-offs in Northern locations.
Fiesta Bowl is now played where the Cardinals play so it is indoors

Fiesta Bowl is now played where the Cardinals play so it is indoors
You want to tailgate on an asphalt parking lot in June in Phoenix?

I’m not saying the heat would keep the games from being played. Just might not get very good crowds. That’s why I added in the possibility for some one-offs in northern locations. How about the MNC being played at the Meadowlands? If there’s a city that has suffered more from Covid than NYC, I haven’t seen it. What a great way to bring college football back - assuming it’s safe to do so.

Highly likely they are postponed to the spring at a minimum. Harvard just announced 100% virtual classes for the fall.

But not exclusively, they're looking to bring 40% of all undergraduates and all freshmen to campus.

Do you think the P65 teams will come to a consensus to all play in the Spring? I have seen a bunch of press releases for individual conferences, but have not seen anything close to a joint statement. Does anyone know if the P65 conferences are actually coordinating with each other?

You want to tailgate on an asphalt parking lot in June in Phoenix?

I’m not saying the heat would keep the games from being played. Just might not get very good crowds. That’s why I added in the possibility for some one-offs in northern locations. How about the MNC being played at the Meadowlands? If there’s a city that has suffered more from Covid than NYC, I haven’t seen it. What a great way to bring college football back - assuming it’s safe to do so.
remember ...those crazy folks down there tailgate in parking garages

Do you think the P65 teams will come to a consensus to all play in the Spring? I have seen a bunch of press releases for individual conferences, but have not seen anything close to a joint statement. Does anyone know if the P65 conferences are actually coordinating with each other?
LS, for what it's worth, says all the P5 commissioners are having regular convos and are pretty aligned with each other.

Classes still virtual though.

Expect some FBS schools to take the leap of cancelling or postponing by the middle of the month. No one wants to be first, so everyone is waiting for the first domino.

I agree. With the exclusive TV contracts, many of the FBS schools have limited access to television already. If a school has no TV revenue/exposure and no fans in the stands; I cannot see many FBS schools undertaking the legal and medical risks incident to a fragmented season without generating substantial revenue. To survive, I would think they would have make a one-off TV arrangement for the season, whereby unless they are on national TV, a local network can carry their games.

I agree. With the exclusive TV contracts, many of the FBS schools have limited access to television already. If a school has no TV revenue/exposure and no fans in the stands; I cannot see many FBS schools undertaking the legal and medical risks incident to a fragmented season without generating substantial revenue. To survive, I would think they would have make a one-off TV arrangement for the season, whereby unless they are on national TV, a local network can carry their games.

Also don't underestimate the cost of the testing program you'd need to have in place.

Back