What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2021/22 SOCCER general off-season news thread (Non-conf. sched. released. 1st match Aug. 18th)

Now that the spring season is over for the Buffs, the next news we'll get will be the schedule for the '22 season. I expect that the non-conference schedule will be a bit of an upgrade from recent seasons in order to improve the RPI.

Also, now that the spring season has come to an end, it's possible there will be transfers out an in. It seems in recent seasons there haven't been too many players will eligibility leaving, but you never know.

The '21 season was a disappointment in that the Buffs didn't make the NCAA tourney. Apparently they were close. Given what I saw in the match v Wyo last week ( yes it was just one spring game against a team the would most likely be non-competitive in the Pac 12), I believe this fall the side will be much more explosive in the attack than last fall. It looks like they will improved better service to Shayra James and she looks primed to score a lot of goals.

Often the spring is a time for experimentation, but I do like the way the group in the midfield works to together as well as the forward grouping.

In particular, Hannah Duguid playing at forward rather than in the midfield gives her more room to use her 1 v 1 skills effectively In the midfield Jenny Beyer looks to be a creative force. There are other players that deserve mention, just don't have the time to do so now.

It looks like there be some players coming in the fall that will be pushing for playing time. I'm looking forward to August when the games count.

Article after the completion of this spring's training period.

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2022/4/29/soccer-strong-spring-builds-excitement-for-fall.aspx

"
BOULDER—Colorado soccer completed its spring season last weekend by returning the Colorado Cup to Boulder. The Buffs put together wins against Northern Colorado, Denver and Air Force, in penalty kicks, to end the season with an exclamation mark.

CU finished the spring with a 3-1 record in traditional matches, dispatching UCCS, Nebraska and Wyoming. The Buffs' lone loss came in a highly completive contest against 2021 national runner-up BYU.

"I think it was a very productive spring season," head coach Danny Sanchez commented. "We played some very competitive matches. To finish with the Colorado Cup and to have something to play for and win in the spring just added some extra value. I think it gives us a lot of momentum heading into the summer."

The Buffs will open fall camp in August with a veteran-heavy roster. 21 of the team's 25 players from the 2021 roster will be back at Prentup Field, complimented by Top Drawer Soccer's No. 8 recruiting class in the nation.

"We're excited about the players we have coming back," Sanchez continued. "We feel a lot of them really developed and improved [in the spring]. We also have what we feel are some fantastic freshmen coming in that really have the potential to help us both short and long term.

"The work the team does over the summer will really set the plate for August. We know they're highly motivated to help us get back to the NCAA Tournament where we belong."

Shyra James, who found the net in abundance in the spring, goes into the fall as the team's top returning scorer from a year ago. She led the Buffs with nine goals in the fall and was second behind graduated senior Shanade Hopcroft with 20 total points. Allie Palangi (8), Hannah Sharts (8) and Rachel Rosen (7) round out the team's top returning point-getters.

"We feel we have a lot of depth with the returning players," Sanchez added. "When you add these seven freshmen to the mix, that all come with great soccer pedigrees—I think it'll add even more to our depth and really push our players that are in-house. That competition will breed more success."

Two of the team's top performers in the spring, combining points awarded in training, were Buff Cup winners Kayleigh Webb and Bella Grust. Webb is a repeat winner, while Grust earned the most points ever by a keeper.

"Kayleigh won it last time and had a fantastic spring," Sanchez noted. "She had her best spring [to date]. I think she's going to have a breakout year next fall. For Bella, sometimes they [keepers] don't get as much access to points as the field players but she was great all spring and really competed well. She gives us the benefit of having two Pac-12 level goalkeepers."

Colorado's 2022 schedule is in the final stages of completion.

The team will host its inaugural Soccer Ball on August 20. The black-tie event will include a dinner, silent auction and paddle raise. All proceeds will be used for facility and equipment improvements and to enhance experiences for the team's student-athletes.
"

Just noticed there's evidently a big change(s) to college soccer next season related to overtime (per https://www.topdrawersoccer.com/art...-reaction&mc_cid=a326aab508&mc_eid=d9026a83d9 ). If I'm reading the article correctly:

• During the regular season, there will no longer be overtime. (Previously, there was an overtime of up to 20 minutes (2 10 minute overtime periods) if there was a tie at the end of regulation (90 minutes), with any goal scored in OT creating a sudden death (AKA golden goal) win.)
  • Then, in knockout play (assume that only means the NCAA tourney for the Buffs since the Pac 12 doesn't have a conference tourney), there will be 2 10 minute periods, which will be played in full even after/ if a team scores a goal. (Actually don't know if this part is new or not?)

During the regular season, there will no longer be overtime. (Previously, there was an overtime of up to 20 minutes (2 10 minute overtime periods) if there was a tie at the end of regulation (90 minutes), with any goal scored in OT creating a sudden death (AKA golden goal) win.)
Read something about this a few weeks ago. The article seemed to be saying that the NCAA wants to be more inline with FIFA.

Personally, I agree that regular season OT should be eliminated. With games played on Thursdays and Sundays it's a bit too much for the athletes to have to play more minutes.

Very nice match last night by #ForeverBuff Taylor Kornieck, who tallies 2 goals in the last ~15 minutes to gain her NWSL team (San Diego Waves) a tie.

Beyer is going to be a critical player for the Buffs this fall. Hope that she stays healthy. If she makes the German U-20 team it looks like she'll miss some early season matches with the Buffs as the U-20 World Cup runs from Aug. 10-28 in Costa Rica.

It's surprising that the schedule for this fall hasn't been released yet. Just renewed my season tickets, and it reminded me that we haven't heard a peep - or at least I haven't.

It's surprising that the schedule for this fall hasn't been released yet. Just renewed my season tickets, and it reminded me that we haven't heard a peep - or at least I haven't.

I follow the volleyball forums more than soccer's, but I would guess that Pac 12 schedules for soccer will probably be some of if not the last released in the NCAA. (In volleyball, which usually gets released around the end of June, I believe the fans' belief is that Pac schedules take more time than others to finalize because of the great number of matches (typically all non-conference home and all Pac 12 home or away) that are televised or streamed. This takes awhile to coordinate among all the various fall sports.)

Since soccer starts a couple weeks earlier that volleyball I'd have guessed its schedule might be released a little earlier than volleyball, but at least last year it looks like they were released almost the same time (soccer on 6/29 and volleyball 6/30).

Here's what complaining gets me, the non-conference schedule :)

Outside of DU, the home schedule looks, weak. At least that's my initial impression.

Away to BYU, Michigan and Michagan State are going to be challenges.

great for her. The roster has 4 ladies that grew up in Co and Taylor. I think a NWSL team would do well here

great for her. The roster has 4 ladies that grew up in Co and Taylor. I think a NWSL team would do well here
^^ Agree. And if it ever happens the team could probably do well with players that played for local club teams - like Real Colorado - and/or local colleges.

They could share Dick's Sporting Goofs Park (DSGP) with the Rapids can could also train there are a ton of fields.

All we need is a dedicated ownership group.

Concerning Taylor Kornieck, I believe she's the first forever Buff to get a call-up for the since Nikki Marshall - who was injured and couldn't play.

Also, Joss Orejel is on the Mexico roster.

Trivia question - name one other Buff who played for her national team.

During the spring season I was able to get to the match v Wyoming. As has been the case during Sanchez’s time in charge, the Buffs appeared to come out in a 4-3-3. What grabbed my attention was that the forward line had Kayleigh Webb and Hannah Duguid flanking Shyra James. Last season, Webb and Duguid played in the midfield. So was this just a spring experiment or will we see Webb and Duguid up front?

The forward trio was supported in the midfield by Jenny Beyer*, Ellen Jones** and Jade Babcock-Chi. All were impressive in their ability to work with each other and dictate the attack. There were not too many hopeful long balls and their vision was good.

(Obviously, there were others that came off the bench in this match and they too contributed)

As a whole, this group was cohesive and determined in the attack. James did an outstanding job finishing in the match. Each goal she scored in a different way and demonstrated solid technical skill. It seems she was scoring regularly during the spring season. The Buffs will be in good shape if she can continue her confident goal scoring.

My optimism about the potential of this side is only slightly tempered by the fact that the opposition in this match was Wyoming and it was a spring match.

*Beyer is with the German U-20 national team this summer
**Jones is with the Welsh national team this summer on the developmental squad

Brief preview of next season's schedule, along with an interview with Ms. Kornieck and discussion of the U.S. team's upcoming schedule (including a friendly against Columbia in Denver (@ Dick's) today starting at 5:30 PM.

Kornieck played about 30 minutes last night. The big news is that she is on the roster for the CONCACAF W Championship which is the qualifying tournament for both the 2023 World Cup and the 2024 Olympics. The tourney runs from July 4 -18th in Monterrey, Mexico. It's likely she get on the pitch one way or the other during the tourney.

Kornieck came in at about the 65th minutes in tonight's US v Jamaica match which the US won 5-0 (and it wasn't that close). I wasn't able to see the full match, but in the highlights she was inches away from an assist and a goal. The US has one more match in group play on versus Mexico on Sunday night. It's likely that she'll come off the bench again.

With tonight's win combined with Mexico's loss the US has qualified for the 2023 World Cup. To qualify for the 2024 Olympics they need to win the tourney

Back