What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2021 Offseason Thread

A lot depends on how Noyer comes back from his surgery.

Lewis is young and promising but people shouldn't forget that prior to this year Noyer had almost zero actual playing time and came into this year with no spring ball.

Next year though should be a real open competition and our coaches need to be willing to switch if a guy is hurt or it just isn't working as it was with Noyer after getting hurt against Utah.

LBs we need to have some young guys (Ham?) step up and take significant roles. Landman will probably be back but if he is expect him to be very limited.

OL took a big step forward this year but still has significant questions to answer, especially for depth.

And our recruiting needs to take a major step forward or KD is going to be leaving in a few years like his predicesors.
Before switching to safety, Noyer played in 3 spring games and got live season game action. It is time to get Lewis ready. Lewis should get all of the first team reps during spring ball.

Before switching to safety, Noyer played in 3 spring games and got live season game action. It is time to get Lewis ready. Lewis should get all of the first team reps during spring ball.
Well, either him or Shrout. May the best man win

Shrout and Lewis will split first team reps in the spring and that is a good thing
D1 Council needs to approve one-time transfers. That vote is now delayed, again. It’s hung up presently with NIL vote. I expect they will decouple the vote at some point.

If that is case then what is the point of having any other QB? I am not sure you understand how this works
He's stuck playing NCAA '12 where you can get through a season with 1 QB and their abilities don't matter a lot because you control them.

Then why did we accept a transfer from Shrout - this is silly talk.
Because thankfully our coaching staff doesn't consult with bigbang in making their decisions.

Lets go out on a limb and assume that KD and his staff know a little more about preparing for an upcoming season than a message board poster who is mostly known for throwing out hot takes that are more often than not wrong.

The transfer portal has several QBs with one year of eligibility left which would've made more sense to me than a transfer with 3 left...Kentucky's starter entered a few days ago and I hope KD didn't pull the trigger too fast.

I will always tell it how I see it. Lewis is the best QB on campus. He has a lot of work to do to get ready. It would be foolish not to do everything possible to get your starter ready. QB competition is the dumbest thing I have ever heard if you have a clear number one guy. Lewis should get all of the first team reps. If you have more than one QB that should be the starter, you have none. After saying that, got to also develop depth. Shrout and Carter should get a lot of reps during spring and fall camp, but with the 2nd and 3rd teams.

I will always tell it how I see it. Lewis is the best QB on campus. He has a lot of work to do to get ready. It would be foolish not to do everything possible to get your starter ready. QB competition is the dumbest thing I have ever heard if you have a clear number one guy. Lewis should get all of the reps. If you have more than one QB that should be the starter, you have none. After saying that, got to also develop depth. Shrout and Carter should get a lot of reps during spring and fall camp, but with the 2nd and 3rd teams.
You haven’t seen Shrout, so you telling it how you see it is doing so while missing half the information

You haven’t seen Shrout, so you telling it how you see it is doing so while missing half the information
I have watched one or two games. He is a good QB. I like his deep ball. Anything can happen. But my preference is to name the starter early and give the starter all of the first team reps. The backups play with the 2nd and 3rd teams. Maybe one or two series with the first team. Got to develop timing and etc.

I have watched one or two games. He is a good QB. I like his deep ball. Anything can happen. But my preference is to name the starter early and give the starter all of the first team reps. The backups play with the 2nd and 3rd teams. Maybe one or two series with the first team. Got to develop timing and etc.
He wasn’t brought in to be a depth piece. Particularly in the Spring, he and Lewis need to split reps and compete. If Lewis knows the offense better, which he probably does, he will likely get more first team reps to begin, but Shrout will, and should get his time as well.

He wasn’t brought in to be a depth piece. Particularly in the Spring, he and Lewis need to split reps and compete. If Lewis knows the offense better, which he probably does, he will likely get more first team reps to begin, but Shrout will, and should get his time as well.

I understand where you are coming from. But my preference is to name the starter early at QB and give the starter all or most of the first team reps. Especially when you are working with a young QB like Lewis.

I will always tell it how I see it. Lewis is the best QB on campus. He has a lot of work to do to get ready. It would be foolish not to do everything possible to get your starter ready. QB competition is the dumbest thing I have ever heard if you have a clear number one guy. Lewis should get all of the first team reps. If you have more than one QB that should be the starter, you have none. After saying that, got to also develop depth. Shrout and Carter should get a lot of reps during spring and fall camp, but with the 2nd and 3rd teams.
He also hasn't seen Lewis. Practices are closed to the public, he isn't in the meeting rooms, I doubt he spent time traveling to see his High School games. To say without question that Lewis is the best QB on campus based in part of a bowl blowout, some HS highlights, and maybe some secondhand rumors is just barfing stuff out.

Lewis might be great, Shrout may be great or terrible or someplace in between. We don't know. The coaches have much more information and they probably don't know. That is why you let both of them work and evaluate it based on what you see. Not on some fan's hot take.

We do not have a clear number one guy.

We have a returning starter with moxie, but limited upside. We have a transfer with really good tools and 3 years eligibility. And we have a young, talented player who looked good in one half of football.

Why you think it’s so obvious that we have a “clear number one guy” is beyond me.

He also hasn't seen Lewis. Practices are closed to the public, he isn't in the meeting rooms, I doubt he spent time traveling to see his High School games. To say without question that Lewis is the best QB on campus based in part of a bowl blowout, some HS highlights, and maybe some secondhand rumors is just barfing stuff out.

Lewis might be great, Shrout may be great or terrible or someplace in between. We don't know. The coaches have much more information and they probably don't know. That is why you let both of them work and evaluate it based on what you see. Not on some fan's hot take.
I saw Shrout this year a couple of times on TV, he has good arm but not much mobility. Lewis has several edges, even though there wasn't Spring ball he gained playbook knowledge, he's more mobile and after Lytle hit the portal he got bumped up and got the reps before the Alamo.
If Covid is still hanging on in the Spring with no practice that will set Shrout behind.

I saw Shrout this year a couple of times on TV, he has good arm but not much mobility. Lewis has several edges, even though there wasn't Spring ball he gained playbook knowledge, he's more mobile and after Lytle hit the portal he got bumped up and got the reps before the Alamo.
If Covid is still hanging on in the Spring with no practice that will set Shrout behind.
I fully expect Lewis to be ahead and think he is our future at the position.

It is hard though to do what BB is doing and pretend like we as fans know enough to make absolute statements on players that we have seen very little of.

The coaching staff has had the benefit of seeing Lewis in high school and now seeing him for a year in practice and in the meeting rooms. I'm sure they also watched as much film on Shrout as they could and likely talked to their contacts on the staff he played for and those he played against.

Still you simply don't know until you see it on the field.

Simple question. If we had gone back exactly one year how many superfans knew beyond any doubt that Noyer was going to take control of the job, lead us to a bowl game, and that Lytle would be transferring out of the program? The answer to that would be very few if any. At the time the coaches didn't even know what they had at QB.

The transfer portal has several QBs with one year of eligibility left which would've made more sense to me than a transfer with 3 left...Kentucky's starter entered a few days ago and I hope KD didn't pull the trigger too fast.
Getting a grad transfer or someone with one year left makes less sense than whatever bigbang is trying to argue

Back