What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2021 Offseason Thread

Happy for Sherm, hope he gets in a good situation, organization. As far as B Rice, yeah it was funny. Thing is, he just needs to be the best version of himself. He already knows that I'm sure. What his goals are, idk? People will bring up his dad all the time, no getting around you're the son of the best wr to ever play. A lot of pressure, but just go get yours.

Filip will probably be the LT. 4 or 5 guys will battle for the starting RT role. I will not sleep on Senn. He has the physical tools, just need to work on his technique. Ray and Wray will also be in the running for the starting RT role. Spring ball and fall practices should be interesting. The coaches shouldn't name a starter until after fall camp to encourage competition.

I feel like Fillip is a wildcard. He almost left the team like less than 6 months ago, iirc

I have no idea if Whittingham runs a clean program, but just given his longevity without issue I’d venture a guess that he is mostly clean - but he has something to sell that CU does not: success over a long period of time.
Which leaves us with a chicken or egg scenario, do we need to recruit talent in order to start having consistent success or do we need to have success with what we have to start building momentum to get better recruits? Whittingham was after Urban right? Did he just get momentum from the get-go by using Urban's recruits?

Mike mac couldn't use the 2016 season to generate an ounce of momentum so hopefully KD is different in that regard

Which leaves us with a chicken or egg scenario, do we need to recruit talent in order to start having consistent success or do we need to have success with what we have to start building momentum to get better recruits? Whittingham was after Urban right? Did he just get momentum from the get-go by using Urban's recruits?

Mike mac couldn't use the 2016 season to generate an ounce of momentum so hopefully KD is different in that regard
Recruiting is a yes or no question. Does your staff have the resources (recruiting organization) and the people (ACs and support staff) who can secure commitments from really good players?

A good record is proof that you’re correct about the quality of your program, but it’s not necessary to make the case that recruits should come to your program.

A while back, I was the Finance Director for a BMW dealership in California. For years, the store sold 40-50 cars every month. A few months into me being there, the store hired a salesman who just moved to the area from Boston. In his first month in California, he sold 20 cars. He had no book of customers. He had no track record. No one knew him. We were all astounded. How did he do it?

He was a closer. He didn’t dawdle. He didn’t complain. He didn’t make excuses. He had a job: sell as many people BMWs as possible. And he did. The store went from selling 40-50 cars per month to 60-70 cars per month because of his expertise. He moved the needle for a small luxury car dealership.

Colorado used to have this same attitude about recruiting and we were one of the big dogs because of it. Then, we started to believe that we could do more with less starting with the Hawkins hire. We’ve been terrible ever since.

A series of coaches doing less with less isn’t leading to success, that’s for sure. 2020 might have been a perfect storm to give KD a decent record to show recruits. But to what someone asked earlier, it’s not an either /or thing. Coaches need to be recruiting their asses off to get as much talent on the roster. AND, they need to be working their asses off to develop what we have to rise above. Successful teams don’t just do one. They do it all. You don’t win big and develop long term success doing just one.

dating app GIF

Wiley and Senn being listed as #2's at LT and RT respectively is chilling. Hopefully, that means they made huge strides under Rodrigue, but it may simply mean they were the only non-true freshman available to be listed. Given the lack of OT recruiting, these guys MUST BE THE GOAT under the radar guys!

Recruiting is a yes or no question. Does your staff have the resources (recruiting organization) and the people (ACs and support staff) who can secure commitments from really good players?

A good record is proof that you’re correct about the quality of your program, but it’s not necessary to make the case that recruits should come to your program.

A while back, I was the Finance Director for a BMW dealership in California. For years, the store sold 40-50 cars every month. A few months into me being there, the store hired a salesman who just moved to the area from Boston. In his first month in California, he sold 20 cars. He had no book of customers. He had no track record. No one knew him. We were all astounded. How did he do it?

He was a closer. He didn’t dawdle. He didn’t complain. He didn’t make excuses. He had a job: sell as many people BMWs as possible. And he did. The store went from selling 40-50 cars per month to 60-70 cars per month because of his expertise. He moved the needle for a small luxury car dealership.

Colorado used to have this same attitude about recruiting and we were one of the big dogs because of it. Then, we started to believe that we could do more with less starting with the Hawkins hire. We’ve been terrible ever since.
I managed pharma sales reps throughout the years. Selling is essential. We weekend bottom 10 percent each year in most cases. In less than 6 years, the #1 oncology force.

Coaching and development are key. But you gotta be able to recruit. KD got a cold show after Texas game. He intellectually knows, but does he have the skills and ability to develop what it takes?

I’m watching 22 closely. He needs to land an anchor early.

Wiley and Senn being listed as #2's at LT and RT respectively is chilling. Hopefully, that means they made huge strides under Rodrigue, but it may simply mean they were the only non-true freshman available to be listed. Given the lack of OT recruiting, these guys MUST BE THE GOAT under the radar guys!
Seems like Filip moves over and the other two battle it out for RT.

This 100%

Recruiting is selling and selling is much more about attitude and effort and focus than it is about product.

Not in any way saying product doesn't matter because it does but I would not hesitate to say that had that same guy gone to a Ford dealer, a Toyota dealer, a Mercedes dealer, or a used only dealer he would be a top performer.
He may have been better suited for BMW customers but he would come to work every day expecting to close sales not looking for excuses.
For too long with maybe the exception of Mel, CU has been making excuses instead of selling.

I was just thinking the other day, what if you just hired an elite salesman with minimal football experience to be a recruiting coordinator/vp of football ops?

You don’t actually need to know much about football, right? You need to know people and be good at finding out what they want. You could even use The Picard method to run meetings with coaches and scouts to find out who to target, you don’t need to know football, you just need to be a manager.

Back