What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2021 Offseason Thread

He was decently good to start, then got figured out, had some nice throws against Utah, then was the worst player on the field against Texas. So basically a lock to start next year

The Quinn Perry vs JVD battle at MLB/deep safety should be sweet

Does KD Nixon come back for a 7th year of eligibility? Does Chev design the entire offense around him?

A lot depends on how Noyer comes back from his surgery.

Lewis is young and promising but people shouldn't forget that prior to this year Noyer had almost zero actual playing time and came into this year with no spring ball.

Next year though should be a real open competition and our coaches need to be willing to switch if a guy is hurt or it just isn't working as it was with Noyer after getting hurt against Utah.

LBs we need to have some young guys (Ham?) step up and take significant roles. Landman will probably be back but if he is expect him to be very limited.

OL took a big step forward this year but still has significant questions to answer, especially for depth.

And our recruiting needs to take a major step forward or KD is going to be leaving in a few years like his predicesors.

Bring in 78 ILB transfers and we could be on to something!

Kidding aside, it will be an interesting offseason with the possibility of everyone back next year. Will really see how KD wants to mold this team. Need to trim a bunch of fat, but also think there is talent on this team who will be looking elsewhere, so need to re-recruit that talent.

The holes are obvious, so won't bring that up. I think this offense takes a step forward with competent depth and talent at TE, as it obvious to me KD and Chev (probably more KD) want that position to be a vocal point of this offense. I don't think it was a coincidence the offense went to crap once Russell was out.

QB battle should be fun to watch.

He was decently good to start, then got figured out, had some nice throws against Utah, then was the worst player on the field against Texas. So basically a lock to start next year

The Quinn Perry vs JVD battle at MLB/deep safety should be sweet

Does KD Nixon come back for a 7th year of eligibility? Does Chev design the entire offense around him?
Noyer got hurt after Russell got hurt and it was downhill from there. Got to be Lewis or Tenn transfer. But Lewis I think. Looked smooth. When the game slows down for him he will take over.

The Quinn Perry / JVD battle is like watching a turtle stampede through a field of peanut butter. But in slow motion.

I wish Nixon the best. Great teammate and motivator apparently. Needs to become an GA along with Noyer.

I hear people talking about the recruiting infrastructure... and I don't actually get what's happening there. What's the issue exactly?

Also, Chev got tons of props for being one of the best recruiters in the Pac-12... but since KD took over he's not really doing recruiting anymore?

What's the problem and how do we fix it?

Let Chev go if he doesn’t recruit. That’s why we wanted to keep him. He wanted OC. But when he took OC he took his foot off the gas for recruiting. So unless he’s a superstar OC, he isn’t a ‘must keep’ anymore IMO.
100% This!!!!

Chev is not even a decent OC. He is a very good WR coach and recruiter, that is what he is.

The problem is, he doesn't want to come to grips with that. I doubt KD will do it now, but if he wants to improve quickly, he needs to present the demotion to align with Chev's strength and bring in an innovative OC who knows how to utilize electric players.

Bob Lopez needs to go asap. A new OC and Recruiting Coordinator will fix a lot.

Hearing Landman may come back, although it really takes 18-24 months to return to speed from his injury.

I hear people talking about the recruiting infrastructure... and I don't actually get what's happening there. What's the issue exactly?

Also, Chev got tons of props for being one of the best recruiters in the Pac-12... but since KD took over he's not really doing recruiting anymore?

What's the problem and how do we fix it?
Recruiting infrastructure = robust team of dedicated staffers whose only job is to scout top players and start/develop relationships with them/influential people in their lives. This team has a detailed strategy as defined by the RC about the kinds of players we need to seek. These folks work alongside ACs who take things to the next level by scouting the players further and make signing those players a priority.

The AD cut support staff even before COVID-19 and our RC is a failure at coordination. Our current AC staff does not have a sufficient number of closers who can persuasively make the case for Colorado to top recruits.

Recruiting infrastructure = robust team of dedicated staffers whose only job is to scout top players and start/develop relationships with them/influential people in their lives. This team has a detailed strategy as defined by the RC about the kinds of players we need to seek. These folks work alongside ACs who take things to the next level by scouting the players further and make signing those players a priority.

The AD cut support staff even before COVID-19 and our RC is a failure at coordination. Our current AC staff does not have a sufficient number of closers who can persuasively make the case for Colorado to top recruits.
Good post. Plus it has to be staffed with high energy, professionals.

If so, no reason to come back, if he has a chance for a NFL team to to put him on development squad.

I feel an underappreciated quality of great coaches is putting together a great staff. At least around CU. McCartney was great at that. Was great at recruiting and great at attracting great assistant coaches. These days head coaches are paid too much to both develop the players, and develop assistant coaches as coaches and recruiters. You want to keep that multi million dollar income coach? Don’t play favorites. Don’t employ friends because you’re a nice guy. Hire people to kick butt recruiting and coaching. Move along the ones who loaf. Top coaches do it all, expect it all.

Until proven differently, I can’t look at Bob Lopez and think Dorell takes recruiting serious enough. That’s not the face of cutting edge recruiting. That’s the face of the funeral home director. And guess who he’s burying, one class at a time.

I am not sure I agree with the "Chev is a bad OC" sentiment...

Brou wins Offensive Player of the year. Offense playcalling complimented Noyer, and looks even more promising when Lewis stepped in.

Chev did a commendable job considering all circumstances of the Buffs season.

I think this team has talent. We really need a QB. Lewis and Shrout will be a good competition. I like Lewis because he can move, but if Shrout can get the ball into our playmakers hands then I am fine with him also. Our young receivers are going to be excellent, if we can get them the ball. Our OL made a nice step forward, and need to continue that trajectory. Our RB will be solid again next year, once we get Fontenot back.
Obviously we need some help at LB, I think it will work itself out, we might see a freshman take the starting roll. Our DBs look promising, and could be a strength next year.
I feel good about this team moving forward. If we remember that we had no spring ball, only a few practices before our fist game, with a new staff, I think what this team did was amazing. 4-2 I will take it. Good season to build on and get these kids ready for next year!

Which guys return that could move on will have a huge impact on 2021 including Sherman, Lang, Akil Jones, Sami, Wells, Rakestraw, Kutsch, etc.

I suspect we will see a few surprises where guys call it good, even if the NFL is not a realistic option. And I hope a certain diminutive receiver moves along!

I don’t blame KD for the recruiting infrastructure being gutted before he got here, but it’s hard to see a path to a successful recruiting machine being built by a HC who hasn’t really recruited in over a decade.

We really need KD to surprise us on the recruiting trail even more so than he did coaching this year.

I don’t blame KD for the recruiting infrastructure being gutted before he got here, but it’s hard to see a path to a successful recruiting machine being built by a HC who hasn’t really recruited in over a decade.

We really need KD to surprise us on the recruiting trail even more so than he did coaching this year.
I didn’t blame KD for the recruiting infrastructure gut. I do blame KD for hiring and retaining Bob Lopez as the RC. Now that the season is done, we need to start recruiting new ACs who can make a significant jump in 2022. The 2021 class is a debacle aside from 1-2 exceptions. We need to get the staff tight for spring ball and 2022 recruiting. We’re less than a year away from early signing day for 2022. This is no time to dawdle.

I didn’t blame KD for the recruiting infrastructure gut. I do blame KD for hiring and retaining Bob Lopez as the RC. Now that the season is done, we need to start recruiting new ACs who can make a significant jump in 2022. The 2021 class is a debacle aside from 1-2 exceptions. We need to get the staff tight for spring ball and 2022 recruiting. We’re less than a year away from early signing day for 2022. This is no time to dawdle.
Sorry I quoted you but wasn’t suggesting you blamed KD for the infrastructure problems. And totally agree on Lopez, he’s an example of why I’m concerned about KDs ability to fix recruiting - when is the last time KD has even been around a successful recruiting operation? Does he have any idea what one looks like?

Recruiting ops needs a full revamp, top to bottom. It should start today. If he doesn’t make the needed changes, it will be a real sign of KD’s future. This is the most important thing I will be watching near-term.

it needs a McKinsey type review and overhaul.

Sorry I quoted you but wasn’t suggesting you blamed KD for the infrastructure problems. And totally agree on Lopez, he’s an example of why I’m concerned about KDs ability to fix recruiting - when is the last time KD has even been around a successful recruiting operation? Does he have any idea what one looks like?
Chev, Summers, Hagan, Coach Mike, Meat, Wilson and most importantly, Rick George and Lance Carl have all been around successful recruiting operations across multiple staffs in multiple conferences and know what it takes.

From the top down (RG and LC), this is either going to be a program that chooses to put an emphasis on recruiting to compete for Pac 12 championships, or they are going to choose to be content with fighting for 6-6 every season. They are not ignorant to what it takes.

Back