What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2021 Offseason Thread

I am curious about the plan for Chandler at QB. They were extremely quick to award him a scholarship when Lytle announced his transfer, especially when they didn't need to, and in an environment where scholarship numbers going forward are very uncertain.
Yeah it’s a complete head scratcher for me. Do they see him as someone athletic enough to move around if the QB position looks more settled in the fall? I understand rewarding guys who have grinded for years with a scholarship late in their careers, but to award one to a freshman who hasn’t taken a snap is curious. I hope this is a case of a guy who is too athletic not to be on the field somewhere even if not at QB.

Yeah it’s a complete head scratcher for me. Do they see him as someone athletic enough to move around if the QB position looks more settled in the fall? I understand rewarding guys who have grinded for years with a scholarship late in their careers, but to award one to a freshman who hasn’t taken a snap is curious. I hope this is a case of a guy who is too athletic not to be on the field somewhere even if not at QB.
The athleticism (position versatility) and fact that if Noyer moves on we are looking at Freshmen QBs next year seem like good reasons to award a scholly to me.

The athleticism (position versatility) and fact that if Noyer moves on we are looking at Freshmen QBs next year seem like good reasons to award a scholly to me.
They already had him as a walk on, though. Unless promises were made that he was getting a scholarship going into 21, it is a bit curious.

Unless they know for certain Noyer is moving on, why put him in scholarship now? How did that move benefit the program?

I don't think he played a single snap at RB last night, which considering there were only 3 RBs available, he must seriously be in Hagan's dog house. I'm thinking he moves to LB or is gone, but I just don't see him at RB going forward.
He can’t even beat out an average Joe at RB.

I am curious about the plan for Chandler at QB. They were extremely quick to award him a scholarship when Lytle announced his transfer, especially when they didn't need to, and in an environment where scholarship numbers going forward are very uncertain.

To be fair, it was one poster here on allbuffs who said this and has not been confirmed by anyone else.

We need depth at QB....Noyer doesn’t seem like he would have lasted a full season with those zone/RPO reads in this offense. I guess some of you forgot the punishment that Liufau took because Montez was too much of a turtler.

I am sick and tired of Hagan and his damned doghouse. I don't know what his stinking problem is with relating to and motivating talented RBs without pulling silly power games but when the result is Joe Davis being our second RB and a talent like Clayton being a risk to transfer then Hagan needs fixing, not his position group.

This isn't new. Think back to the Marquisha (sp.) garbage and the years since.

I think Chev is learning to be an OC but isn't there yet. This is a case where KD needs to be a coach of coaches and help Chev get out of his bad habits and develop good ones.

Overall with the staff KD needs to turn up the heat on recruiting. Don't recruit, don't produce, don't plan on being here and that has to include the sacred cows in Chev and Hagan. And yes the recruiting director and support staff needs a serious upgrade and modernization. That can be done without breaking the bank, needs to be done.

One way to look at Chandler is a strong vote of confidence in Lewis as the QB of the future.

I have heard a few times that if Chandler had been a couple inches taller and a few pounds heavier he would have had multiple P5 offers. Don't know how true that is but he looks like a talented dual threat QB.

If the plan is to build an offense that fits Lewis's skill set then having a backup that matches that offense makes sense. If your starter isn't available be it for a few plays or for a whole game you don't have to remake the offense for the second guy to be effective.

I am sick and tired of Hagan and his damned doghouse. I don't know what his stinking problem is with relating to and motivating talented RBs without pulling silly power games but when the result is Joe Davis being our second RB and a talent like Clayton being a risk to transfer then Hagan needs fixing, not his position group.

This isn't new. Think back to the Marquisha (sp.) garbage and the years since.

I think Chev is learning to be an OC but isn't there yet. This is a case where KD needs to be a coach of coaches and help Chev get out of his bad habits and develop good ones.

Overall with the staff KD needs to turn up the heat on recruiting. Don't recruit, don't produce, don't plan on being here and that has to include the sacred cows in Chev and Hagan. And yes the recruiting director and support staff needs a serious upgrade and modernization. That can be done without breaking the bank, needs to be done.

One way to look at Chandler is a strong vote of confidence in Lewis as the QB of the future.

I have heard a few times that if Chandler had been a couple inches taller and a few pounds heavier he would have had multiple P5 offers. Don't know how true that is but he looks like a talented dual threat QB.

If the plan is to build an offense that fits Lewis's skill set then having a backup that matches that offense makes sense. If your starter isn't available be it for a few plays or for a whole game you don't have to remake the offense for the second guy to be effective.
Pretty sure the Markeesha episode as EB's doing....

Pretty sure the Markeesha episode as EB's doing....
You are correct but as long as Hagan has been on this staff we have constantly be hearing about this guy or that guy being in his doghouse.

Yes he is a Buffs legend but that can't make him untouchable. We expect our players to learn and get better, why not expect our coaches to learn and get better.

We aren't one of those schools that can afford to shed talent just because some coach doesn't like a kid. We don't have a bunch of 4*s waiting to take the spot.

Doesn't mean accept bad attitudes or lack of effort but you don't handle every problem with a sledgehammer.

You are correct but as long as Hagan has been on this staff we have constantly be hearing about this guy or that guy being in his doghouse.

Yes he is a Buffs legend but that can't make him untouchable. We expect our players to learn and get better, why not expect our coaches to learn and get better.

We aren't one of those schools that can afford to shed talent just because some coach doesn't like a kid. We don't have a bunch of 4*s waiting to take the spot.

Doesn't mean accept bad attitudes or lack of effort but you don't handle every problem with a sledgehammer.

The one thing that that I will say about the CU's running backs, is that in the end the best guys always seem to play. That is probably the most important thing about the position. Clayton could be an exception, but who has been a CU rb that transferred and really did anything? Darrell Scott-- 2 games for UCF (He got beat out by Speedy Stewart). Marcus Houston, I suppose he was okay at CSU (the knee injury took quite a toll), but he was beat out by 2 guys that went to the NFL . . . Chris Brown put up a pro-bowl season or two. PT Gates, don't get me started. Michael Atkins, injury then got beat out.

I think you would have a point, if there was an exodus of P65 RB's from CU that went on to do great things. The only guy I can think of was the RB from Wisconsin (Brian Calhoun? another top-10 RB recruit that played as a Frosh/Soph?, and decided to move home). For RB's at CU, I see more of the flip-side-- Phillip Lindsay progresses such that he makes an NFL team and is a pro-bowler. Broussard comes from nowhere and is PAC-12 offensive player of the year. IMO, they are generally finding and playing the best guy. For Hagan & KD, I think it was a big gamble that they went with Broussard out of no-where, but it worked out.

There is reasonable frustration about finding, promoting, and playing the #2 back. That is always a tough go, unless you blow out teams or you are being blown out. From a coaches perspective, when the game is contested, I imagine it is tough to hand the rock over to a young RB with the fear of a key-fumble or completely missed protection. That is a complete landmine and CU has been conservative in that regard. Would we have liked more carries for AC, absolutely but if it cost CU a game during crunch-time? Then there is a ton of egg on the coaches faces. Also, the player can get even further in the dog house or not develop--a freshman fumbles in crunch time, the teams loses, and then the player blames himself--look out. All players develop on their own and their coaches time-frame. IMO, RB's usually take a couple of years. Houston played great as a Freshman until the injury, but he was the #1 RB in the class.

I coached competitive hockey for almost two decades. You face a similar conundrum with centers and face-offs. Our teams had tons of great young players, some of whom had mad skills, more speed, better stick skills, and a ton more flash at the center position; however if you are nursing a 1-2 goal lead in the 3rd period, the center that plays is generally the one who can: (a) either win the face off, or not lose it clean; (b) can tie up whoever needs to be tied up, usually the opposing center; and (c) instinctively knows the post-face off positioning (however the face off turns out) by wrote. Although you would love the extra insurance goal, the name of the game at that juncture is keeping the puck out of your net. I think it is the same thing with young RB's and carries during a contested game. It is just something that takes time with responsibility, patience, trust, and seasoning from all involved.

Also, one last thing-- CU was playing a new QB. I'm not sure if CU would have fallen behind with a turnover at some key juncture in the 2nd half, they could have played very well from behind. Again, more experience, talent, or comfort at the QB position, maybe the coaching staff would have rolled the dice more frequently.

Last edited:
Hopefully Mangham and Clayton realize that they will have chances to play next season because we are playing 11 P5 schools and you can bet the coaching staff is recruiting those kids who are thinking about going into the transfer portal after this season. Ditto for 2022 and 2023.

You tell me how Broussard and Fotenot will be able to last those upcoming seasons without getting hurt or nicked up at some point.

The one thing that that I will say about the CU's running backs, is that in the end the best guys always seem to play. That is probably the most important thing about the position. Clayton could be an exception, but who has been a CU rb that transferred and really did anything? Darrell Scott-- 2 games for UCF (He got beat out by Speedy Stewart). Marcus Houston, I suppose he was okay at CSU (the knee injury took quite a toll), but he was beat out by 2 guys that went to the NFL . . . Chris Brown put up a pro-bowl season or two. PT Gates, don't get me started. Michael Atkins, injury then got beat out.

I think you would have a point, if there was an exodus of P65 RB's from CU that went on to do great things. The only guy I can think of was the RB from Wisconsin (Brian Calhoun? another top-10 RB recruit that played as a Frosh/Soph?, and decided to move home). For RB's at CU, I see more of the flip-side-- Phillip Lindsay progresses such that he makes an NFL team and is a pro-bowler. Broussard comes from nowhere and is PAC-12 offensive player of the year. IMO, they are generally finding and playing the best guy. For Hagan & KD, I think it was a big gamble that they went with Broussard out of no-where, but it worked out.

There is reasonable frustration about finding, promoting, and playing the #2 back. That is always a tough go, unless you blow out teams or you are being blown out. From a coaches perspective, when the game is contested, I imagine it is tough to hand the rock over to a young RB with the fear of a key-fumble or completely missed protection. That is a complete landmine and CU has been conservative in that regard. Would we have liked more carries for AC, absolutely but if it cost CU a game during crunch-time? Then there is a ton of egg on the coaches faces. Also, the player can get even further in the dog house or not develop--a freshman fumbles in crunch time, the teams loses, and then the player blames himself--look out. All players develop on their own and their coaches time-frame. IMO, RB's usually take a couple of years. Houston played great as a Freshman until the injury, but he was the #1 RB in the class.

I coached competitive hockey for almost two decades. You face a similar conundrum with centers and face-offs. Our teams had tons of great young players, some of whom had mad skills, more speed, better stick skills, and a ton more flash at the center position; however if you are nursing a 1-2 goal lead in the 3rd period, the center that plays is generally the one who can: (a) either win the face off, or not lose it clean; (b) can tie up whoever needs to be tied up, usually the opposing center; and (c) instinctively knows the post-face off positioning (however the face off turns out) by wrote. Although you would love the extra insurance goal, the name of the game at that juncture is keeping the puck out of your net. I think it is the same thing with young RB's and carries during a contested game. It is just something that takes time with responsibility, patience, trust, and seasoning from all involved.

Also, one last thing-- CU was playing a new QB. I'm not sure if CU would have fallen behind with a turnover at some key juncture in the 2nd half, they could have played very well from behind. Again, more experience, talent, or comfort at the QB position, maybe the coaching staff would have rolled the dice more frequently.
I see what you are saying but lets see how this works out. If we lose a Clayton because Davis is getting the reps then there is a problem.

Frankly if Davis is getting the reps there is a problem period. Averaging 1.8 per carry, not effective in short yardage, not effective as a pass receiver, got run over trying to pass block. Using Davis in most cases has almost been the equivalent of wasting a play.

To maximize it may take RBs a couple years but it is the one position on the field where a freshman can make the most impact right away.

The comparison to hockey is comparing apples to tennis balls. RB is very much based on raw talent and instinct. A hockey center relies on those but on both offense and defense hockey is much more dependent of a coordinated team effort. That center has to be aware and responding continuously from end to end.

Not counting on Deion Smith. But the last two RB’s I wrote off were Lindsay and Broussard.....
Broussard has been amazing coming off a huge injury.

Not giving Hagan a lot of credit for Lindsay. With his work ethic and desire a RB coach would almost have to be trying to have him not be successful.

Weird how CU seemingly always has pretty good to great running backs and the RB coach has nothing to do with it.
Seemingly had pretty good running backs.

Hagan has been the RB coach since 2004
since then I'd say it has been less than mediocre overall. He had Lindsay who was a CU kid all the way, not giving Hagan much credit for that one. Other than that Rodney Stewart had one season over 1000 yards and T. McMillian had a season barely over 1000.

Leading rushers by season (I didn't find a ready made chart with ypc but trust me it is just as unimpressive)
2005 H. Charles 842
2006 H. Charles 779
2007 H. Charles 989
2008 R. Stewart 622
2009 R. Stewart 804
2010 R. Stewart 1318
2011 R. Stewart 854
2012 C Powell 691
2013 C Powell 562 (Adkins this season also had over 500)
2014 C Powell 448
2015 P. Lindsay 653
2016 P. Lindsay 1189
2017 P. Lindsay 1479
2018 T. McMillion 1009
2019 A Fontenot 874

I'm failing to see anything there that says that a guy who doesn't particularly excel as a recruiter deserves to have a job for life and is beyond questioning in his coaching.

I am not sure I agree with the "Chev is a bad OC" sentiment...

Brou wins Offensive Player of the year. Offense playcalling complimented Noyer, and looks even more promising when Lewis stepped in.

Chev did a commendable job considering all circumstances of the Buffs season.
I’m not saying he is bad. I’m saying he isn’t so outstanding that he can stop doing what we mainly wanted him to continue to do...be the face of Colorado on fire recruiting. And catch other coaches on fire for recruiting too.

Seemingly had pretty good running backs.

Hagan has been the RB coach since 2004
since then I'd say it has been less than mediocre overall. He had Lindsay who was a CU kid all the way, not giving Hagan much credit for that one. Other than that Rodney Stewart had one season over 1000 yards and T. McMillian had a season barely over 1000.

Leading rushers by season (I didn't find a ready made chart with ypc but trust me it is just as unimpressive)
2005 H. Charles 842
2006 H. Charles 779
2007 H. Charles 989
2008 R. Stewart 622
2009 R. Stewart 804
2010 R. Stewart 1318
2011 R. Stewart 854
2012 C Powell 691
2013 C Powell 562 (Adkins this season also had over 500)
2014 C Powell 448
2015 P. Lindsay 653
2016 P. Lindsay 1189
2017 P. Lindsay 1479
2018 T. McMillion 1009
2019 A Fontenot 874

I'm failing to see anything there that says that a guy who doesn't particularly excel as a recruiter deserves to have a job for life and is beyond questioning in his coaching.
He should be support staff. Be a face of Colorado football. Be an ambassador.
But he isn’t a recruiter. We need serious recruiters and coaches. It’s non negotiable.

Back