What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2021 Transfer Portal

The challenging part of responding to this thread is avoiding the urge to go negative on a former player.

So my blanket response on every guy is that I'm happy to see him doing well, I appreciate what he did as a Buff, and it is vital that Tad honors promises made to recruits if we want CU to be a program that attracts the kind of talent we want to see.

The challenging part of responding to this thread is avoiding the urge to go negative on a former player.

So my blanket response on every guy is that I'm happy to see him doing well, I appreciate what he did as a Buff, and it is vital that Tad honors promises made to recruits if we want CU to be a program that attracts the kind of talent we want to see.
One current exception that I'm kinda fine with going negative on Mason Faulkner. Only averaging 5 points, 4 assists and 2 boards on 37% shooting in 18 minutes and no starts at Louisville through 3 games. Kind of worked out in the buffs favor there honestly.

One current exception that I'm kinda fine with going negative on Mason Faulkner. Only averaging 5 points, 4 assists and 2 boards on 37% shooting in 18 minutes and no starts at Louisville through 3 games. Kind of worked out in the buffs favor there honestly.
He was never really a Buff. Between the development of Kee and the flip of KJ, we had two young 4* PGs and no need for him as a stop gap as we transitioned from Kin to the next era. My assumption there is that he saw on the court that they were better than him and no one wants to transfer only to not play much.

Last edited:
I think part of why Tad has the success he has and is respected like he is by the players, current and past, is that he is very honest with guys.

More than likely that Tad had private conversations (as in more than one with each) with each of these young men and told them what they could expect if they stayed with the team. In some of these cases that meant that he told guys that their minutes were likely to go to a younger guy who may not be experienced but who has a higher ceiling and/or who fits in better with what Tad wants to do on the floor.

If I am an upper classman who has worked hard on a team but is now looking at having a diminished role I don't want to hear that but in the long run I appreciate my coach being honest with me.

I am also thankful if that coach helps me to find a place to play that gives me the best chance for a positive experience.

I think part of why Tad has the success he has and is respected like he is by the players, current and past, is that he is very honest with guys.

More than likely that Tad had private conversations (as in more than one with each) with each of these young men and told them what they could expect if they stayed with the team. In some of these cases that meant that he told guys that their minutes were likely to go to a younger guy who may not be experienced but who has a higher ceiling and/or who fits in better with what Tad wants to do on the floor.

If I am an upper classman who has worked hard on a team but is now looking at having a diminished role I don't want to hear that but in the long run I appreciate my coach being honest with me.

I am also thankful if that coach helps me to find a place to play that gives me the best chance for a positive experience.
Beyond that, fans need to understand that these situations are negotiations. Reading comments around the internet, it's clear some people think Tad could & should have had a conversation like, "Lawson, Mr. and Mrs. Lovering, there's an opportunity with the NCAA ruling for players to return for an extra year. I've invited Dallas Walton back, so I'm going to need you to either redshirt or play under 5 minutes a game."

And in their minds the reaction would have been, "Sure, Coach. Whatever's best for CU. We're 100% committed and would never even consider entertaining other opportunities."

Another side of all this is, we as outside fans could see the writing on the wall that those guys coming back, even if they were the go to guys, would have to at least share minutes with the new guys (resulting in less minutes), no conversations would be needed to see that coming. This is true not just with Colorado, but all programs across the nation. I imagine that often the players were probably even approaching the coaching staff for advice, and I believe our coaching staff is pretty straight up and honest, which is good.

Pretty much anyway you look at it, Colorado was looking at a rebuilding year of some sorts, so no one should be surprised or upset that a top tier CU player (but not a superstar) would look for opportunities where they would be "the guy". Although I don't think those guys will get too much of a look from the NBA (could be surprised), they will likely play at a high level overseas, so improving their stock is very relevant, and I don't think their stock would improve at CU.

He was never really a Buff. Between the development of Kee and the flip of KJ, we had two young 4* PGs and no need for him as a stop gap as we transitioned from Kin to the next era. My assumption there is that he saw on the court that they were better than him and no one wants to transfer only to not play much.
Just want to add to this. The other grad transfer pg we were pursuing was Shahada Wells from UT Arlington. He's currently at TCU only averaging 9 minutes a game a 2.3 points per game on 31% shooting. This this all has worked out in our favor.

Former Buffs check in

Jeriah Horne averaging 19.1 pts and 7.6 reb in 33.3 MPG for Tulsa, all of those lead the team, 30 points last time out in a loss to Oral Roberts

D'Shawn Schwartz 15.3 pts, 5.6 reb in 33.4 MPG for George Mason, second leading scorer, leading in minutes played, 29 points last time out in a loss to South Dakota St.

Dallas Walton 5.6 pts, 5.6 reb (team lead), and 1.6 blocks per game in 21.6 MPG for Wake Forest, he shot so well last season but is a horrible 35.7% on FTs and 18.2% on 3pt so far this year, 5 pts 4 rebs and 2 blocks about halfway through a current game against Northwestern

Daylen Kountz team leading 33.5 MPG and 18.1 pts to go with 4.1 reb, 2.4 ast, and 1.5 steals

Good to see them all doing well, hopefully the shots start falling for Dallas.

Back