What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2022-23 Coaching Carousel

I think you underestimate the value of certainty and lump sum payments to people, especially someone as conservative at KD. If CU comes up with the cash for one or two lump sum payments, I have no doubt that KD will settle for a discount--less than but near a $1 million discount.
He doesn’t have anything to lose by working in a job he knows well to guarantee the full amount. I also don’t think that he will be offered the terms you’re describing. $300-$400K is one thing because that’s the real difference between what he’d get as position coach plus CU money and the settlement you’re describing ($750-$850K). The likely proposed discount of $2-3 million is significant enough (as is the acrimony) to prevent him from settling for a discount.

He doesn’t have anything to lose by working in a job he knows well to guarantee the full amount. I also don’t think that he will be offered the terms you’re describing. $300-$400K is one thing because that’s the real difference between what he’d get as position coach plus CU money and the settlement you’re describing ($750-$850K). The likely proposed discount of $2-3 million is significant enough (as is the acrimony) to prevent him from settling for a discount.

I think you misunderstood me. I'm not saying he'll take $800K as a settlement, I'm saying he'll definitely settle for an amount approaching $1 million less than his full contract, maybe more if payments are accellerated. MM settled for a $3 million discount, though he was owed more money.

I think you misunderstood me. I'm not saying he'll take $800K as a settlement, I'm saying he'll definitely settle for an amount approaching $1 million less than his full contract, maybe more if payments are accellerated. MM settled for a $3 million discount, though he was owed more money.
No, you’re misunderstanding me. I understand you completely.

I am saying that if he takes $750-$800K less than the full amount owed by Colorado, that isn’t a major opportunity cost since he can choose to take a position coach job that will pay him that amount by working. He’s whole.

I am also saying that I don’t believe that he will get that kind of a deal (only a <$1mm reduction from full amount). I think the settlement offer will be more like $2-3mm less than what he’s owed. That will not be an accepted offer by Dorrell. In that case, he can just work as an NFL position coach and get the full amount he is due by Colorado, less the $250-$300K he is paid by the NFL team. That difference is worthwhile to him.

BTW - his situation is far different than Macintyre’s. Macintyre felt like he had HC opportunities in the future after he was fired. He was fired after a completed season and after he received an extension. Dorrell was unceremoniously fired in-season after less than 3 full seasons. Dorrell knows he’ll never get a chance to be a Head Coach ever again. He will likely want every penny.

I am saying that if he takes $750-$800K less than the full amount owed by Colorado, that isn’t a major opportunity cost since he can choose to take a position coach job that will pay him that amount by working. He’s whole.

I am also saying that I don’t believe that he will get that kind of a deal (only a <$1mm reduction from full amount). I think the settlement offer will be more like $2-3mm less than what he’s owed. That will not be an accepted offer by Dorrell. In that case, he can just work as an NFL position coach and get the full amount he is due by Colorado, less the $250-$300K he is paid by the NFL team. That difference is worthwhile to him.

BTW - his situation is far different than Macintyre’s. Macintyre felt like he had HC opportunities in the future after he was fired. He was fired after a completed season and after he received an extension. Dorrell was unceremoniously fired in-season after less than 3 full seasons. Dorrell knows he’ll never get a chance to be a Head Coach ever again. He will likely want every penny.
I don’t think it’s a given that Dorrell is going back to the NFL to coach in 2023. House is done in Boulder, he was going to retire anyways had RG not given him the job, and he certainly isn’t getting hired by the Broncos. He really going to live out of a suitcase for another year just to collect a few hundred thousand more after he is likely to collect $16-$17m over the past 3 years?

I don’t think it’s a given that Dorrell is going back to the NFL to coach in 2023. House is done in Boulder, he was going to retire anyways had RG not given him the job, and he certainly isn’t getting hired by the Broncos. He really going to live out of a suitcase for another year just to collect a few hundred thousand more after he is likely to collect $16-$17m over the past 3 years?
He was still working for the Dolphins and was going to return there as their WR coach absent the Colorado offer. The Boulder house was for an eventual retirement - not a retirement within the next few months.

He is not going to take a $2-3mm cut from CU just to coast into retirement and help CU after he was the fall guy for CU’s institutional problems (from his POV). That is a ton of money for him.

He was still working for the Dolphins and was going to return there as their WR coach absent the Colorado offer. The Boulder house was for an eventual retirement - not a retirement within the next few months.

He is not going to take a $2-3mm cut from CU just to coast into retirement and help CU after he was the fall guy for CU’s institutional problems (from his POV). That is a ton of money for him.
The CU job paid about 12x what his Dolphins job did. He can definitely retire now if he wants to. It doesn’t seem difficult to put a few feelers out to NFL teams and not get hired. I also don’t think CU is going to spend any time/resources hounding him about finding a job just so they can save $500K over the next two years. I’m sure they would prefer to move on and not be reminded of their galactically stupid decision to hire him in the first place. CU’s best hope is that he agrees to a reduced buyout of $500K or so. Perhaps they can get another chunk shaved off by offering an immediate lump sum payment.

You're position is that CU won't negotiate beyond a $2 million reduction. Where does this newfound faith in the Colorado AD being some hardass negotiator come from?

Contract law would seem to require him to seek employment or risk litigation. Which is one reason why there will be a settlement, either for accelerated payments for an amount less than the contract amount or (less likely) delayed payments for an amount marginally more than the contract amount (the Bobby Bonilla solution).

You don't think the last 3 years, including the bull**** he (and everyone) went through during COVID, as HC of Colorado may have worn him out? Would he still be the Dolphins WR coach today had RG never hired him? All I'm saying is he is now settled in Boulder, has received around $10m from CU and is in line to receive another $6-$8.7m, so I just don't think it's a given that he'll choose to leave his newly built home, his wife, and the possibility of retirement to go be a position coach for some NFL team.
Contract law would seem to require him to seek employment or risk litigation. Which is one reason why there will be a settlement, either for accelerated payments for an amount less than the contract amount or (less likely) delayed payments for an amount marginally more than the contract amount (the Bobby Bonilla solution).
Right, but it completely depends on whether he wants to collect the full amount by going back to being a WR coach in the league, or if he'd rather take the reduced lump sum and ride off into retirement with his unexpected lottery ticket that RG gave him 2.5 years ago.

You don't think the last 3 years, including the bull**** he (and everyone) went through during COVID, as HC of Colorado may have worn him out? Would he still be the Dolphins WR coach today had RG never hired him? All I'm saying is he is now settled in Boulder, has received around $10m from CU and is in line to receive another $6-$8.7m, so I just don't think it's a given that he'll choose to leave his newly built home, his wife, and the possibility of retirement to go be a position coach for some NFL team.

Right, but it completely depends on whether he wants to collect the full amount by going back to being a WR coach in the league, or if he'd rather take the reduced lump sum and ride off into retirement with his unexpected lottery ticket that RG gave him 2.5 years ago.
Would he be the Dolphins WR coach without the CU job? Maybe not. Would he be an NFL WR coach today without the CU job? Definitely.

This idea that he’s going to leave millions on the table just to retire early is fantasy. He’s only 59 and very much wants to get the money owed. Sure, if he gets a deal like NYC said, then he takes a reduced amount. A reduced amount of $2mm+ is not happening under the circumstances of his dismissal.

Remember: Dorrell feels like he was wronged and not provided sufficient time to complete the job at Colorado. He knows he’s never going to be a Head Coach ever again.

Would he be the Dolphins WR coach without the CU job? Maybe not. Would he be an NFL WR coach today without the CU job? Definitely.

This idea that he’s going to leave millions on the table just to retire early is fantasy. He’s only 59 and very much wants to get the money owed. Sure, if he gets a deal like NYC said, then he takes a reduced amount. A reduced amount of $2mm+ is not happening under the circumstances of his dismissal.

Remember: Dorrell feels like he was wronged and not provided sufficient time to complete the job at Colorado. He knows he’s never going to be a Head Coach ever again.
He knew that 2.5 years ago as well, up until RG came along. Sorry, I'm just not convinced a guy who thought he was going to ride out his lottery ticket in his retirement home is chomping at the bit to move to (insert random NFL city) to coach WRs for another year or two.

He knew that 2.5 years ago as well, up until RG came along. Sorry, I'm just not convinced a guy who thought he was going to ride out his lottery ticket in his retirement home is chomping at the bit to move to (insert random NFL city) to coach WRs for another year or two.
You can’t see why a guy would see the value in working two years in a job he’s mastered for $2mm+ in contract equity?!

You can’t see why a guy would see the value in working two years in a job he’s mastered for $2mm+ in contract equity?!
That's not what I said. I said I don't think it's a given. Sometimes a guy who has made his money just wants to be done. His professional life came to a culmination when he signed the contract to become the CU HC and cashed his winning lottery ticket. Up to that point, he was going to work until his house in Boulder was finished, and then retire. These last 2.5 years couldn't have been pleasant for him, and maybe he just wants to take $6.5-$7m of his remaining $8.7m owed and retire.

Honestly, I couldn't give two ****s about what Dorrell decides to do so I'm exiting this discussion

I feel you guys need a wager to settle this. O/U on total buyout payment to KD $10,400,000.
giphy.gif

Where are you getting $2mm+ contract equity? He would only make about $250K per year coaching receivers so CU’s offset is only about $500K. That is the extent of CU’s damages if they were to pursue this if KD didn’t get another job. I doubt they have the stomach for it, as I said in my earlier post.

Where are you getting $2mm+ contract equity? He would only make about $250K per year coaching receivers so CU’s offset is only about $500K. That is the extent of CU’s damages if they were to pursue this if KD didn’t get another job. I doubt they have the stomach for it, as I said in my earlier post.
I’m with Yak. I don’t see KD going back to the NFL. CU will have paid him the equivalent of 60 seasons with the Dolphins. This is also probably why CU thinks they won’t have to pay the full buyout. They know KD has no interest in moving again (and doesn’t need to) so it’s reasonable to think they’ll save a few bucks on the buyout (about $500K I would guess).

Not sure why he would do that.

If he gets another head coaching job - and he probably will - he would end up seeing very little of the $20M because it would be mostly, if not entirely offset. This way he is going to get $3-4M a year from a lower P5 head coaching job plus $11M in cash.

Follow the conversation. TScheck is saying that Dorrell will take a large ($2-3mm) cut in the guaranteed money owed to him by Colorado in order to receive an up front, lump sum payment. I am saying that he will not do that.

Follow the conversation. TScheck is saying that Dorrell will take a large ($2-3mm) cut in the guaranteed money owed to him by Colorado in order to receive an up front, lump sum payment. I am saying that he will not do that.
Dorrell seems like the guy who would do it. Time will tell

I’m with Yak. I don’t see KD going back to the NFL. CU will have paid him the equivalent of 60 seasons with the Dolphins. This is also probably why CU thinks they won’t have to pay the full buyout. They know KD has no interest in moving again (and doesn’t need to) so it’s reasonable to think they’ll save a few bucks on the buyout (about $500K I would guess).
There is no chance that he gives up millions of dollars when the only thing he has to do is work a job he’s mastered. Dude is only 59.

Again, I never said anything about taking $2-$3m cut. In fact, I never actually said anything about him taking a cut at all. I simply said I don't think him returning to the NFL for another season or two is a given, based on the events of the last 2.5 years, him having his retirement home in Boulder finished and cashing the winning lottery ticket that was the CU HC gig.

I do think it’s not good news the buyout info hasn’t been disclosed. Perhaps CU trying to soften the blow by delaying.

The other coaches who were fired had that info out immediately

Back