What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2022-23 Coaching Carousel

You don’t think so? So many agents and coaches positioning themselves for a better gig or a big raise and assistants moving around, I would think that noise would make CU’s job more difficult but maybe I’m wrong.
I guess I don't know all the assistant movement involved in those 5 openings and some of the fallout, but here are the guys who were primarily involved.

Brian Kelly - ND to LSU
Mike Denbrock - Cincy OC to LSU OC
Matt House - KC Chiefs LBs Coach to LSU DC
Marcus Freeman - Internally promoted at ND (kept most of the ND staff I believe)
Lincoln Riley - OU to USC
Alex Grinch - OU DC to USC DC
Josh Henson - A&M OL coach to USC OC/OL
Brent Venables - Clemson DC to OU HC
Jeff Lebby - Ole Miss OC to OU OC
Tedd Roof - Clemson Analyst to OU DC
Todd Bates - Clemson DL to OU Co-DC
Wes Goodwin - Clemson AC to Clemson DC
Billy Napier - Louisiana to UF
Rob Sale - NY Giants OL coach to UF OC
Patrick Toney - Louisiana DC to UF Co-DC
Sean Spencer - NY Giants DL coach to UF Co-DC

Those are the main coaching movements at HC and both coordinator positions at the 5 Blue Blood openings. None of those guys would have been on the CU radar last year, other than maybe Grinch and Lebby who I imagine would have taken a HC offer over coordinator offers (maybe not?).

I asked earlier with no response. Does everyone believe that ASU is about to get sanctions against them ?
Does this help CU out on a few names that might want to not have to deal with that right off the bat?
AFA got hit pretty hard for theirs, and it was a lot less system than what was going on at ASU.

Elaborate
I'm gonna guess it's because every single coach's "dream job" has a chance to become available that year, and not just directly, but indirectly.

If your "dream job" is at X University, then there's a bit unreasonable chance that X's coach gets poached that season.

While I like the idea of swinging for the fences a la Tom Herman, CU is not going to be looking in the same pool of candidates as the blue bloods. Realistically, CU will have to look for a solid lower tier HC (Blake Anderson leaps to mind) or a Coordinator.
I agree with CU’s coaching pool, but not sure Herman is going to be a candidate at a blue blood program.

I guess I don't know all the assistant movement involved in those 5 openings and some of the fallout, but here are the guys who were primarily involved.

Brian Kelly - ND to LSU
Mike Denbrock - Cincy OC to LSU OC
Matt House - KC Chiefs LBs Coach to LSU DC
Marcus Freeman - Internally promoted at ND (kept most of the ND staff I believe)
Lincoln Riley - OU to USC
Alex Grinch - OU DC to USC DC
Josh Henson - A&M OL coach to USC OC/OL
Brent Venables - Clemson DC to OU HC
Jeff Lebby - Ole Miss OC to OU OC
Tedd Roof - Clemson Analyst to OU DC
Todd Bates - Clemson DL to OU Co-DC
Wes Goodwin - Clemson AC to Clemson DC
Billy Napier - Louisiana to UF
Rob Sale - NY Giants OL coach to UF OC
Patrick Toney - Louisiana DC to UF Co-DC
Sean Spencer - NY Giants DL coach to UF Co-DC

Those are the main coaching movements at HC and both coordinator positions at the 5 Blue Blood openings. None of those guys would have been on the CU radar last year, other than maybe Grinch and Lebby who I imagine would have taken a HC offer over coordinator offers (maybe not?).

Lol I know Venables is a defensive guy, but I cannot believe Ted ****ing Roof still has a P5 coordinator job. Also- yikes to the fact that he had to go to a Baylor scandal guy as OC.

That staff looks pretty bad on paper and even worse after seeing the games they've played this year so far.

Leonhard is a lock for that job unless he tanks the rest of the season
Yeah, this kind of feels like a "we are reeling and going nowhere under Chryst this year, let's give Leonhard a 7 game audition to see if he's the guy" situation.

It's the best open job right now, and if a guy like Aranda is interested, might be tough not to pursue that

It’s the same reason we’ll probably be able to negotiate the Dorrell contract down. Most of these coaches would prefer a lump sum and negotiated exit rather than a drawn out legal fight that requires them to immediately go out and seek some equivalent job.

It’s the same reason we’ll probably be able to negotiate the Dorrell contract down. Most of these coaches would prefer a lump sum and negotiated exit rather than a drawn out legal fight that requires them to immediately go out and seek some equivalent job.
I don’t think Dorrell negotiates now. His only real prospects are NFL position coach jobs. He will sign for a quarter mill with an NFL team and get every cent from Colorado.

I don’t think Dorrell negotiates now. His only real prospects are NFL position coach jobs. He will sign for a quarter mill with an NFL team and get every cent from Colorado.
I think he negotiates down. We all know he’s got the retirement home in Boulder. He’s set financially either way, more so than I’m sure he would’ve anticipated three years ago.
I’m not going to pretend like I know how these offset clauses work, but I just don’t think he’s that interested in coaching again, certainly not for the entire duration of his contract. If I’m him, I’m taking a reduced payout just so I don’t have to fight with CU for the next three years and keep ending up in the news in where I want to retire as some overpaid failure.

I think he negotiates down. We all know he’s got the retirement home in Boulder. He’s set financially either way, more so than I’m sure he would’ve anticipated three years ago.
I’m not going to pretend like I know how these offset clauses work, but I just don’t think he’s that interested in coaching again, certainly not for the entire duration of his contract. If I’m him, I’m taking a reduced payout just so I don’t have to fight with CU for the next three years and keep ending up in the news in where I want to retire as some overpaid failure.
He was unceremoniously shown the door. This is a bitter divorce. He can go back to position coaching next year and get paid the entire amount from Colorado. There will be no negotiation.

If I'm KD, I get every penny that CU owes me without negotiating down. What basis does CU have to start a legal fight? CU should pay for RG's folly, regardless how much KD screwed the pooch.

He was unceremoniously shown the door. This is a bitter divorce. He can go back to position coaching next year and get paid the entire amount from Colorado. There will be no negotiation.

Meh. I assume he has a duty to mitigate damages, so he needs to show that he's sought employment. If he gets a job, the payout is reduced by that salary. In any case, getting paid early is worth a bit of a discount, as is the certainty of no litigation. He will take less than the contract amount, but not significantly less--a million or less.

Meh. I assume he has a duty to mitigate damages, so he needs to show that he's sought employment. If he gets a job, the payout is reduced by that salary. In any case, getting paid early is worth a bit of a discount, as is the certainty of no litigation. He will take less than the contract amount, but not significantly less--a million or less.
That’s my point. He will get a job. It just won’t be another HC job. That is past him since he sucks at being an HC. He’ll become an NFL position coach, make a quarter of a million per year, and that’ll be the offset. I mean, if CU is gonna negotiate to pay him $500K less than the full buyout, maybe he’ll settle. But if he has to give up more than that, he’ll just get a job and get the amount due.

That’s my point. He will get a job. It just won’t be another HC job. That is past him since he sucks at being an HC. He’ll become an NFL position coach, make a quarter of a million per year, and that’ll be the offset. I mean, if CU is gonna negotiate to pay him $500K less than the full buyout, maybe he’ll settle. But if he has to give up more than that, he’ll just get a job and get the amount due.

I think you underestimate the value of certainty and lump sum payments to people, especially someone as conservative at KD. If CU comes up with the cash for one or two lump sum payments, I have no doubt that KD will settle for a discount--less than but near a $1 million discount.

If I'm KD, I get every penny that CU owes me without negotiating down. What basis does CU have to start a legal fight? CU should pay for RG's folly, regardless how much KD screwed the pooch.
I read that, then look at your avatar....

If I'm KD, I'm willing to be creative and find a deal that works. Maybe he'd take a million a year for a decade with no employment restrictions. Easy for the AD to absorb, keeps him friendly, and gives a great path into retirement. Just an example. There are ways to skin this cat.

If I'm KD, I'm willing to be creative and find a deal that works. Maybe he'd take a million a year for a decade with no employment restrictions. Easy for the AD to absorb, keeps him friendly, and gives a great path into retirement. Just an example. There are ways to skin this cat.

Disluke. I already have to live with Bobby Bonilla day every summer.

Back