What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2022-23 Coaching Carousel

I just want to feel hopeful again. I have been super pessimistic since the day Sark turned us down. The candidate list was so terrible, and somehow they went a step further.

I had never heard of Karl Dorrell, I was in elementary school during his UCLA stint so he was ancient history to me. The moment he showed up in a drab, ill-fit suit and a speech that sucked the energy out of the room I completely joined the dark side.

I just want a coach that gives me hope again. I want to be a sunshine pumper again so badly.
I remember when Bret Beilema was said to have been interviewed. No idea if that was accurate, but this place couldn't stand the thought of such a mediocre coach replacing Tucker. We had no idea what was about to his us

I remember when Bret Beilema was said to have been interviewed. No idea if that was accurate, but this place couldn't stand the thought of such a mediocre coach replacing Tucker. We had no idea what was about to his us
Bielema and Jim Mora Jr. were names that were out there. Howell confirmed in chat this am Calhoun was interviewed in 2020, before the Tucker hire. Is there anybody here who would not take any of those three knowing what we know now?

No thanks.
Averaged 8 wins/year after making the jump to the Big 12, went to 7 bowl games in 10 years including two 11 win seasons, a 12 win season, 2 Alamo Bowl Wins and a NY6 bowl win (arguably got screwed out of the playoff that year).

Obviously has very strong DFW connections, is a name brand coach would bring the "football adult" back into the room that the program hasn't had since Barnett, get the Buffs defense back to respectability and could focus on hiring an dynamic OC. Who knows, maybe bring Brennan Marion from Texas as OC (Patterson is assistant to Sark at UT right now).

I'm sure he has options, but I feel like a low pressure situation like CU that would be extremely happy if he produced TCU-like results, would be a great fit for both sides.

Averaged 8 wins/year after making the jump to the Big 12, went to 7 bowl games in 10 years including two 11 win seasons, a 12 win season, 2 Alamo Bowl Wins and a NY6 bowl win (arguably got screwed out of the playoff that year).

Obviously has very strong DFW connections, is a name brand coach would bring the "football adult" back into the room that the program hasn't had since Barnett, get the Buffs defense back to respectability and could focus on hiring an dynamic OC. Who knows, maybe bring Brennan Marion from Texas as OC (Patterson is assistant to Sark at UT right now).

I'm sure he has options, but I feel like a low pressure situation like CU that would be extremely happy if he produced TCU-like results, would be a great fit for both sides.
I have some connections in the DFW, and tangentially at TCU. I am not going to say on a public board, but suffice it to say, GP is not what CU is looking for.

Forde lists a few compelling names for Nebraska

1. Matt Campbell (ISU)
2. Lance Leipold (KU)
3. Chris Klieman (KSU)
4. Mark Stoops (UK)

Can't see Nebraska being good with 2 or 3, but Campbell and/or Stoops seem like plausible names they could go after.

Leipold is doing a good job at KU so far but he seems a bit light on experience. He does have Nebraska ties if that's a factor

NIL is not a cure-all for lack of adjacent recruiting grounds.
It is THE cure-all and will be the only reason Nebraska becomes competitive again
NIL is not going to be the only consideration for recruits. The top kids are still dreaming of NFL futures and more.

Beyond that Nebraska is in the B1G. Yes they have dedicated fans who donate a lot of money.

Which of the following schools is Nebraska going to clearly beat in terms of NIL for players
Ohio State,
Michigan,
Penn State,
Michigan State,
Wisconsin,
USC,
UCLA,

Maybe Iowa and Maryland but the list above is not going to take a back seat to the huskers in terms of spending money.

This all means that the best Nebraska can hope for would be a 7-8 win season and a mediocre bowl. Are the fans going to be happy with that on a regular basis

NIL is not going to be the only consideration for recruits. The top kids are still dreaming of NFL futures and more.

Beyond that Nebraska is in the B1G. Yes they have dedicated fans who donate a lot of money.

Which of the following schools is Nebraska going to clearly beat in terms of NIL for players
Ohio State,
Michigan,
Penn State,
Michigan State,
Wisconsin,
USC,
UCLA,

Maybe Iowa and Maryland but the list above is not going to take a back seat to the huskers in terms of spending money.

This all means that the best Nebraska can hope for would be a 7-8 win season and a mediocre bowl. Are the fans going to be happy with that on a regular basis

At this point for CU I'd be thanking the holiest of holies for a 7-8 win season and a mediocre bowl. I'd even be ok with that once before I die.

If they're smart, th
Hilary Duff Lol GIF by YoungerTV

I think it was the Andy staples podcast I heard his wife prefers to stay in the south and wouldn’t be a big fan of a Nebraska move. But we all know money talks.
Yeah, I could live in Lincoln for $7-8m/year. It also is a 5-6 proposition at most

The strong word is that Calhoun was OFFERED the job before KD, but rejected it after RG told him he would have to keep Chev/Summers as OC/DC
Sounds like it went like this:

Rick: "Phil says we have to keep the high priced coordinators. He doesn't want any dead money. Political optics are bad for him. Fvck. Even Calhoun wouldn't take the job under those circumstances."

Lance: "Well, I think Karl's in town. They're building a house. Planning to retire here. Love it in Boulder. He'd probably go for it."

Rick: "Fvck my life. It is what it is. See if he's home and if we can pop in."

-later-

Rick: "Can you believe he wants Sark money fully guaranteed for 5 years to take this job under these conditions? Fvck. I can sell it since Phil, the Regents and the big boosters don't know sh!t. At least I wrapped up my new deal and can coast into retirement during this sh!tshow."

Lance: "Can I get a new deal?"

Rick: "Fvck you, Lance. Just be glad I didn't kill you for playing chauffeur while Mel was negotiating on his cell. Of all the beta sh!t I've seen... fvck my life."

Sounds like it went like this:

Rick: "Phil says we have to keep the high priced coordinators. He doesn't want any dead money. Political optics are bad for him. Fvck. Even Calhoun wouldn't take the job under those circumstances."

Lance: "Well, I think Karl's in town. They're building a house. Planning to retire here. Love it in Boulder. He'd probably go for it."

Rick: "Fvck my life. It is what it is. See if he's home and if we can pop in."

-later-

Rick: "Can you believe he wants Sark money fully guaranteed for 5 years to take this job under these conditions? Fvck. I can sell it since Phil, the Regents and the big boosters don't know sh!t. At least I wrapped up my new deal and can coast into retirement during this sh!tshow."

Lance: "Can I get a new deal?"

Rick: "Fvck you, Lance. Just be glad I didn't kill you for playing chauffeur while Mel was negotiating on his cell. Of all the beta sh!t I've seen... fvck my life."
Meanwhile Mora Jr was basically begging for the job. No way he wouldn’t have been significantly better.

Back