What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2022-23 Coaching Carousel

Dillingham seems like a major up and comer. If he hits, then ASU hit the jackpot. Great hire imo

I'm hoping they end up being a hair's breadth from hiring O'Brien, only for Saban to convince him to stay as the Bama OC and then Alberts panic hires Mickey Joseph.

I know. Ridiculous fantasy. No athletic director would blunder things that badly.
Bill O'Brien is a ****ing ****ty coach. I really hope ****braska hires him and then Bama's offense will stop sucking.

I wouldn't be so sure that Alabama would be interested in Lane
Maybe. I think the fans would definitely be onboard. I know people think dabo but he should stay at Clemson because he has an easier path to the playoffs through the acc.

Thatll be a huge flop. A saltine cracker could be successful as OC at Oregon.
I don’t get this take on Dillinghan. Almost all hires are risky, but he’s got a lot going for him. Lanning is a defensive coach by trade, so he’s not running the O as a shadow coordinator. Dilly has gotten a lot more out of Nix than Auburn ever did under Harsin, and the talent at Oregon is good, but it’s not so great that a saltine cracker could coach it. It seems like a reasonable hire to me.

I don’t get this take on Dillinghan. Almost all hires are risky, but he’s got a lot going for him. Lanning is a defensive coach by trade, so he’s not running the O as a shadow coordinator. Dilly has gotten a lot more out of Nix than Auburn ever did under Harsin, and the talent at Oregon is good, but it’s not so great that a saltine cracker could coach it. It seems like a reasonable hire to me.

Certainly, that hire can be viewed through two lenses. But I don’t see it. Oregon has all the toys, including Nix. The PAC 12 is awful compared to the SEC. Since Kelly, no coach has been successful coming out of Oregon. It’s a system and culture program at this point. Peak Oregon is over and Dillingham is simply riding on the back of baseline expectations, 10-2, 9-3. That’s pretty pedestrian for Oregon.

Certainly, that hire can be viewed through two lenses. But I don’t see it. Oregon has all the toys, including Nix. The PAC 12 is awful compared to the SEC. Since Kelly, no coach has been successful coming out of Oregon. It’s a system and culture program at this point. Peak Oregon is over and Dillingham is simply riding on the back of baseline expectations, 10-2, 9-3. That’s pretty pedestrian for Oregon.
The Kelly system is no longer on the cutting edge of innovation, and the Ducks have had four head coaches since Kelly ((Helfrich, Taggart, Cristobal, and Lanning), and seven offensive coordinators (Helfrisch, Frost, Lubick, Cristobal, Arroyo, Moorhead, and Dillingham). Taggart, Cristobal, and Lanning have no connection to Chip.

Dillingham may or may not work out, but it falls into the “reasonable” category of hires.

On a side note, I only have three categories of coaching hires - can’t miss, reasonable, and bad. This isn’t a reflection of how the hires ultimately performed, it’s a matter of what type of hire they were at the time. In the pac 12 recent history, examples of these categories are as follows:

Can’t miss (always the smallest group) - Lincoln Riley (USC) and Chip Kelly (Oregon), Chris Peterson (Washington)

Reasonable - David Shaw (Stanford), Justin Wilcox (Cal), Mike MacIntyre (CU), Mel Tucker (CU), Jimmy Lake (Washington), Every Oregon hire, Jonathan Smith (OSU), Hawkins (CU), Leach (WSU), Nutjob from Hawaii (WSU)

Bad - Neuheisel (UCLA), Dorrell (CU), Embree (CU), Willingham (Washington), Sumlin (Arizona), Edwards (ASU), Fisch (Arizona), Graham (ASU)

The can’t miss have 100% success in hindsight, the reasonable are 50/50 at best, and the bad almost always suck (Fisch is still too early to tell).

Back