What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2022 Hoops Coach Carousel

He'll at least recruit and give you a bunch of marketing material. Lav was always the poor man's Calipari in my eyes. Like super poor man's. Like not quite homeless version. Heck Steve Alford got UCLA to the sweet 16.
In 7 seasons in charge at UCLA, he went to 6 NCAA tourneys, 5 Sweet sixteen.... think they won some other stuff as well.

In 7 seasons in charge at UCLA, he went to 6 NCAA tourneys, 5 Sweet sixteen.... think they won some other stuff as well.
He had the worst win percentage of UCLA's coaches for the last 35 years. When you coach Charles Obannon, Baron Davis, Earl Watson, Matt Barnes, Jason Kapono, Ryan Hollins, etc you should make it to the sweet 16.

Mick Cronin 2019-present 69.4% win %
Steve Alford 2013-2019 66.3% win %
Ben Howland 2003-2013 68.5% win %
Steve Lavin 96-03 65% win%
Jim Harrick 88-96 75% win %
Walt Hazzard 84-88 62% win %

The last UCLA coach to not make it to the sweet 16 was Walt Hazzard in the mid 80's and he even made it to the second round of the NCAA and had a team that went 25-7.

He'll at least recruit and give you a bunch of marketing material. Lav was always the poor man's Calipari in my eyes. Like super poor man's. Like not quite homeless version. Heck Steve Alford got UCLA to the sweet 16.
San Diego athletics is the poor man's UCLA athletics. Like super poor man's. Not quite homeless version.

Our last head coach had been an assistant at two WCC programs. Lavin has been to 5 sweet 16s. Lavin would be an underwhelming hire at a power conference school. USD has been struggling to be in the middle of the pack in the WCC. Make the Toreros a top 3 WCC team (after Gonzaga and St Mary's, BYU is leaving) and you're a hero.

San Diego athletics is the poor man's UCLA athletics. Like super poor man's. Not quite homeless version.

Our last head coach had been an assistant at two WCC programs. Lavin has been to 5 sweet 16s. Lavin would be an underwhelming hire at a power conference school. USD has been struggling to be in the middle of the pack in the WCC. Make the Toreros a top 3 WCC team (after Gonzaga and St Mary's, BYU is leaving) and you're a hero.
That's super fair! Just didn't want people to blow his UCLA accomplishments out of water. As mentioned he will recruit and bring a lot of attention to San Diego in an area he's familiar with and has existing relations. Think it's a good hire for the program, I've just never been impressed with his actual coaching and development.

Cleveland St hired Iowa St assistant Daniyal Robinson as their new coach after Dennis Gates took the Missouri job.

Ryan Pedon, Illinois St's new coach, hired Dan Dakich' son Andrew as an assistant.

Last edited:
Jay Wright retiring
College Basketball GIF by NCAA March Madness
College Basketball GIF by NCAA March Madness

College basketball isn't as good without him coaching. Probably my favorite coach not named Tad. Damn.

I believe there's a lot of truth to this column and I worry about how long Tad will coach.

But sources have indicated that he, like many of his colleagues, simply reached a point where the job wasn't nearly as fun as it used to be because of all of the things coaches now have to deal with that didn't use to exist. Name, image and likeness rights were long overdue. The one-time transfer waiver is fair. Alternative options for high school prospects are great. Social media is fun. But even the coaches who agree with each of those previous four sentences -- and, trust me, not all of them do -- acknowledge that the combination of those things has made their jobs complex and in many ways unappealing. Do you really believe it's a coincidence that North Carolina's Roy Williams, Duke's Mike Krzyzewski and Villanova's Jay Wright all retired within 13 months of each other -- or that Maryland's coach (Mark Turgeon) and Louisville's coach (Chris Mack) just straight quit in the middle of the season?

I don't.

As long as there is a lack of pressure to "win at all costs" I think Tad stays awhile. If he is allowed to do it his way, by finding high quality, high character kids, who may take a little development but still produce 20 wins per year. I think the moment that no longer works is when he will step away.

I believe there's a lot of truth to this column and I worry about how long Tad will coach.

But sources have indicated that he, like many of his colleagues, simply reached a point where the job wasn't nearly as fun as it used to be because of all of the things coaches now have to deal with that didn't use to exist. Name, image and likeness rights were long overdue. The one-time transfer waiver is fair. Alternative options for high school prospects are great. Social media is fun. But even the coaches who agree with each of those previous four sentences -- and, trust me, not all of them do -- acknowledge that the combination of those things has made their jobs complex and in many ways unappealing. Do you really believe it's a coincidence that North Carolina's Roy Williams, Duke's Mike Krzyzewski and Villanova's Jay Wright all retired within 13 months of each other -- or that Maryland's coach (Mark Turgeon) and Louisville's coach (Chris Mack) just straight quit in the middle of the season?

I don't.
I'd be really surprised if Tad retires in the next 3 years. He's only 59 and seems to like the job. After that who knows? Even 62 is pretty young these days. My guess is the he coaches for at least 5 more years.

I think it’s a legitimate concern. The landscape of college athletics has changed dramatically in the last couple years. All it would take for him to walk away is some idiot like Phil to start jerking him around. He doesn’t need the money, and it’s only a matter of time before he doesn’t need the aggravation.

Jay Wright to the Lakers!

On another note, there was a Purdue fan on Facebook trying to say that Painter was a better coach than Wright and barring massive injuries the Boilers would have been to as many Final Fours, even won a title. And I was like ...

Laughing Out Loud Lol GIF by VH1

I don't.
Turgeon was essentially fired. Same with Chris Mack. K is a million years old, and Roy was pretty old too, he had been rumored to be retiring before NIL. I don't buy the connection between Jay Wright and those examples.

Jay Wright to the Lakers!

On another note, there was a Purdue fan on Facebook trying to say that Painter was a better coach than Wright and barring massive injuries the Boilers would have been to as many Final Fours, even won a title. And I was like ...

Laughing Out Loud Lol GIF by VH1
Painter is a damn good coach. But it's a different echelon Wright is in that Painter hasn't reached. 2 titles with 4 F4s, a career win % over 70 and all those conference titles puts Wright in a very small & elite group.

Painter is a damn good coach. But it's a different echelon Wright is in that Painter hasn't reached. 2 titles with 4 F4s, a career win % over 70 and all those conference titles puts Wright in a very small & elite group.
For sure. A couple weeks ago I was talking with him, tryin got get him to bring Bruce Weber back, but Bruce is 68 so he said no. They don't have the toughness that Nova players have and that becomes obvious in the Sweet 16.

Agreed it's different levels. Having said that I do think the Big East is an easier league to coach in than the Big 10 right now. Having said that the old big east in 2010 had Huggins, Boeheim, Brey, Dixon, Pitino, Cronin, Buzz Williams, and Wright on the sidelines holy cow that would have been rough.

I'd be really surprised if Tad retires in the next 3 years. He's only 59 and seems to like the job. After that who knows? Even 62 is pretty young these days. My guess is the he coaches for at least 5 more years.
I would be absolutely stunned if Tad is still head coach for RJ Smith’s senior day.

Back