What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2022 Offseason Thread

Article up here that talks about the pro-day. 22 NFL scouts were on hand.

Landman recorded a time of 4.32 seconds in the 20-yard shuttle as well as 6.88 seconds in the 3-cone drill, which bested every NFL Combine score in the event. His 20-yard shuttle time would have been good for fourth at the NFL Combine. He totaled 20 reps at 225 pounds.

PlayerHeightWeightVerticalBroad225 Reps40 ydShuttleCone
Mustafa Johnson6'1"
288​
29​
Kary Kutsch6'4"
297​
31"8'10"
29​
5.19​
4.63​
7.90​
Nate Landman6'2"
234​
20​
4.32​
6.88​
Matt Lynch6'4"
240​
31.5"9'11"
11​
4.71​
4.34​
7.00​
Carson Wells6'2"
241​
35"9'9"
16​
4.56​
4.51​
7.11​
Akil Jones5'11"
227​
29.5"9'4"
16​
4.86​
4.55​
7.18​

Article up here that talks about the pro-day. 22 NFL scouts were on hand.

PlayerHeightWeightVerticalBroad225 Reps40 ydShuttleCone
Mustafa Johnson6'1"
288​
29​
Kary Kutsch6'4"
297​
31"8'10"
29​
5.19​
4.63​
7.90​
Nate Landman6'2"
234​
20​
4.32​
6.88​
Matt Lynch6'4"
240​
31.5"9'11"
11​
4.71​
4.34​
7.00​
Carson Wells6'2"
241​
35"9'9"
16​
4.56​
4.51​
7.11​
Akil Jones5'11"
227​
29.5"9'4"
16​
4.86​
4.55​
7.18​
Did Landman run the 40 at the combine?

Also, Akil Jones should probably find something other than football to keep pursuing. Those testing numbers reek of a guy who can’t let his dream of the NFL go, but also only decided to start training a month ago

Landman numbers looked better than Wells. It translates to what you see on tape. He probably will run like 4.8 or 4.7. But his strength numbers, cone and shuttle numbers show an athletic explosive middle linebacker. Landman in the 7th if he is still available. Broncos will have concerns about his durability issues. Won't hurt to be on the practice squad.​

Also, Akil Jones should probably find something other than football to keep pursuing. Those testing numbers reek of a guy who can’t let his dream of the NFL go, but also only decided to start training a month ago
Landman ran a 4.86 at the combine. From that linked article he had this to say about it:
Landman said he was not healthy when he ran the 40 at the combine, and he decided against participating in the drill today.

"I want to be healthy for minicamp," Landman said. "I don't care what I run in the 40. At the end of the day, I get to the ball faster than anyone can. I'm not a track runner. I didn't want to run it just to prove that I'm faster than that time dictates because I know I am."

Maybe it was the pads and the lion tattoo and his presence, but I always thought Landman was bigger than Wells by a pretty decent margin - I guess not.

As the article states Landman pulled a hammy at the combine running the 40, typical Landman style still finished the distance.

Nate has to convince some team that he can get and stay healthy. Going to have plenty of options as a UFA but I doubt he gets drafted.

Wells is more likely to be drafted but if teams thought enough of him to draft him in the 4th round he would have been invited to the combine.

He could go in the 6th or 7th but this is a draft in which Edge Rusher is one of the deepest positions.

As the article states Landman pulled a hammy at the combine running the 40, typical Landman style still finished the distance.

Nate has to convince some team that he can get and stay healthy. Going to have plenty of options as a UFA but I doubt he gets drafted.

Wells is more likely to be drafted but if teams thought enough of him to draft him in the 4th round he would have been invited to the combine.

He could go in the 6th or 7th but this is a draft in which Edge Rusher is one of the deepest positions.
Guessing neither gets drafted

Maybe it was the pads and the lion tattoo and his presence, but I always thought Landman was bigger than Wells by a pretty decent margin - I guess not.
Seriously?? I always thought Landnan was undersized.

Knew Wells would post better numbers. He's a much better athlete than Nate. Athleticism was his calling card when we recruited him. Raw but stupid athletic.

Nate Landman is a 2nd or 3rd round talent. But he has durability concerns that could him make go late in the draft or go un drafted. He is still not 100 percent.

Last edited:

The last two higher profile players from CU that had/have draft possibilities, as well as injury frequency. It makes you wonder WTF was going on in the S&C and nutrition program? Granted, both players were rode hard and put up wet game in/out, but for consecutive seasons Landman and Shenault were injured for multiple games and never 100%. Plus, how many guys only played fractions of seasons due to injuries throughout their time at CU?

hopefully Turley can sort this out, and CU can recruit (and keep) depth that isn’t a major talent drop off from the starters.

Also, Wells is pretty freakish athletic wise. Those numbers (aside from the bench press) were pretty great.

The last two higher profile players from CU that had/have draft possibilities, as well as injury frequency. It makes you wonder WTF was going on in the S&C and nutrition program? Granted, both players were rode hard and put up wet game in/out, but for consecutive seasons Landman and Shenault were injured for multiple games and never 100%. Plus, how many guys only played fractions of seasons due to injuries throughout their time at CU?

hopefully Turley can sort this out, and CU can recruit (and keep) depth that isn’t a major talent drop off from the starters.

Also, Wells is pretty freakish athletic wise. Those numbers (aside from the bench press) were pretty great.
Setting Shenault aside (he’s a freak athlete and sacrificed himself to his own detriment while at CU) injuries sustained by rank and file CU football players has as much to do with them being second-tier and under-sized coming out of high school and being thrust into playing time too early for their own good and matched up against superior athletes across the line of scrimmage than anything else.

I love Nate Landman as much as anybody, but he’s not a 2nd or 3rd round guy. He has great football instincts, but his physical skills aren’t at that level. He will make a great special teams player and situational defender in the NFL. Hopefully he gets that opportunity.

His speed, strength and coverage concerns are not 2/3rd round talent, at all, especially inside in today’s NFL game.

silly talk.
I love Nate Landman as much as anybody, but he’s not a 2nd or 3rd round guy. He has great football instincts, but his physical skills aren’t at that level. He will make a great special teams player and situational defender in the NFL. Hopefully he gets that opportunity.
First mistake, taking anything posted by BB2 as deserving of credible discussion.

Nate healthy would have definitely had a place in the league but his limitations would move him into the lower half of the draft. A local comparison would have been teams hoping for another Josey Jewell from the Broncos. Great effort and instincts but not quite fast enough to cover most backs and TEs in the passing game.

The injuries almost certainly have taken him out of being drafted but reasonable to expect that he will have multiple offers as a UFA. Would almost guarantee that unless he just can't move anymore some team will put him on a practice squad for a season to see if he can't regain his health and the athleticism he had.

He's a day three guy because of his limited athleticism and coverage ability. His comp is Josey Jewell. Might be a 4th round pick, but his injury will probably concern

I do not think the frequency of injuries has been a big issue, just that overall depth has routinely been exposed, which makes the injury situations seem worse than they are in reality.
That 2016 team was good, but it was about the healthiest team we've seen in over 10 years. That played a key role. Even one injury to that oline or dline would have been devastating.

That 2016 team was good, but it was about the healthiest team we've seen in over 10 years. That played a key role. Even one injury to that oline or dline would have been devastating.
Which is making Duff’s point. If your season depends on exactly zero injuries then you have depth issues and expecting no injuries on the OL/DL over the course of a season is nuts.

Is it just me, or is the promotion and marketing beyond anemic (even more so than normal)?

If I wasn’t on here, I’d completely forget CU even has a football team.

Outreach, branding events, PR engagements, community involvement…. All crickets. My email is dry besides the recycled renewal email.

I should be getting hammered over the head with a jug of koolaid and reciting the spring game date in my sleep but I honestly haven’t heard a peep

Is it just me, or is the promotion and marketing beyond anemic (even more so than normal)?

Outreach, branding events, PR engagements, community involvement…. All crickets. My email is dry besides the recycled renewal email.

I should be getting hammered over the head with a jug of koolaid and reciting the spring game date in my sleep but I honestly haven’t heard a peep
I got a call about renewing the parking pass and Buff Club donation. I kind of laid into the poor kid who called about not seeing any commitment from the school to put out a good product while asking the customers for a more substantial financial commitment. I got the impression that they’re a little peevish about making too much noise because the optics right now are really bad. They’re just hoping to keep as many paying customers as possible because they know they don’t have much of a product to attract new customers.

Hey guys, renewals are way down, but we’re gonna prove you all wrong!

Signed,

Colorado Athletic Department

I am blowing off the air force game now also. Cheapest tickets are over $120 each and I am just not feeling the traffic, nor the sterile air force game day experience and probably leaving with a loss.

Nate Landman and Devin Lloyd were both first team Pac 12 selections in their careers. Lloyd is going in the 1st round. Landman is a 2nd or 3rd round talent. Hopefully he can find the right spot, and get healthy, 10 days to spring ball. Will be checking out the QB, DB and OL competion.

Nate Landman and Devin Lloyd were both first team Pac 12 selections in their careers. Lloyd is going in the 1st round. Landman is a 2nd or 3rd round talent. Hopefully he can find the right spot, and get healthy, 10 days to spring ball. Will be checking out the QB, DB and OL competion.
We’ve been over this. He is not 2/3 round talent. The numbers don’t lie.

Back